Shoes & Handbags Offers
118 Members and 11925 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

What to wear to a broadway show????

Started 1286940053.967 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1287006168.573 by Luvmycats

Going to my first broadway show in NYC this weekend. It's a saturday night show. What should I wear? Do people get dressed up for these things anymore? Thank you!

~ the original NicksMom

Page 1 of 1
ibb381286940259.29712123 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Dress up? No.... but dress for what you're doing before or after the show. I saw Rock of Ages last weekend and comfort was the most important thing!

floss 841286944687.4274122 PostsRegistered 6/6/2010

Hi Nicksmom, First of all have a great time. NY is a blast. I remember the days you would get all dressed up for Broadway. Most important thing be comfortable the seats are small and narrow IMO! And if you are going to walk around before and afterwards comfortable shoes! Just dress your outfit up with jewelry like JR!! Have a great time there is nothing like Broadway. What are you going to see? Oh and if you like cheesecake Jr. cheesecake has a restaurant and a little cafe in the theatre district,I can't remember if it is 47th or not but you can't miss it has red and white strips like his boxes you see on the Q. You buy slices to bring home or even a whole cake. Yummy!

artsyone1286948369.262213 PostsRegistered 1/15/2010

Hi! Last time I went to a Broadway play ... last year ... I wore a long black skirt, a red cowl neck sweater, black knee-high boots a belted black leather jacket and a red scarf.

My son's girlfriend was dressed completely in black ... black silk twill trousers, turtleneck sweater, boots and suede jacket.

I remember the "old days", when we wore the type of clothing we wear for weddings nowadays!

Have a good time! Let us know how it was ... and what you wore.Smile

mollysmama1286960137.09695 PostsRegistered 3/30/2010

Hi Nicksmom,

I was lucky enough to see Phantom a couple of years ago. It was my first trip to NYC, so I, of course, was stressing big time about what to wear. Ended up wearing black pants, black flats, some kind of nice top and Judith Ripka -- and, of course, it ended up being just like everywhere else you go these days -- at least half of the people were dressed casually (jeans, dockers, etc.). Only a very, very, very few were "dressed up." Sooo, dress for the weather and wear shoes you can walk in -- and have a great time!! We were there for New Year's Eve and it was everything I could ever imagine!! Best time ever!! (Actually, it was New Year's Day that we saw Phantom, so if people don't dress up that night, they probably don't dress up much more for any other night).

Just wear what makes you the happiest!!! Anything you choose will be OK!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

dakotacher­yl1286964986.9071401 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore
On 10/12/2010 artsyone said:

Hi! Last time I went to a Broadway play ... last year ... I wore a long black skirt, a red cowl neck sweater, black knee-high boots a belted black leather jacket and a red scarf.

My son's girlfriend was dressed completely in black ... black silk twill trousers, turtleneck sweater, boots and suede jacket.

I remember the "old days", when we wore the type of clothing we wear for weddings nowadays!

Have a good time! Let us know how it was ... and what you wore.Smile

Just had to add a comment artsyone...I went to a wedding last Saturday and some folks were in jeans...sigh...at least I looked great!!

justshoppin1286965749.67198 PostsRegistered 2/14/2007

Too funny. I posted the same question this summer, and got some great responses. Boy was I glad I asked, or I would have been over-dressed. Definitely dress for comfort. If you tend to get cold easily, take a sweater or light jacket.

Would you believe that there were some people in flip-flops and tank shirts in the theater this summer?

I think a lot of the clothing depends on the show, too. Shows for older folks tend to have patrons that dress up a little more. Those with children tend to be more casual.

Have a great time! What are you going to see?

Usedtobeox­ox1286968965.4433870 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun

At a Broadway show you will see anything from dress jeans, sweater and nice boots to a suit.

We love to walk around the area especially to the HUGE Sephora, so I am usually wearing flats.

Enjoy the show

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

IluvEeyore1286972663.553905 PostsRegistered 4/8/2008

I grew up in NYC and live in a suburb of NYC now, and people just don't dress up the way they used to for shows. I have seen jeans, casual tops. As others have said, dress comfortably and how YOU want to dress.

rietzel1286974257.8031753 PostsRegistered 8/17/2006

I am going to see the musical Rock of Ages Friday night and will be wearing ivory dress pants, an ivory lace blouse and an ivory boucle jacket by Louis Dell Olio with lots of chains and pearl necklaces and pearl earrings. I wear what I want to wear and you should too.

Enjoy the show!

The Cleanu­p Woman1286974524.53286 PostsRegistered 11/27/2007New Jersey

Most anything goes these days to Broadway. Wear whatever makes you happy and comfortable. For me, personally, I would not wear jeans unless they were black. You can't go wrong with black in NYC.

NicksMom1286975571.5833180 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Philadelphia Suburbs, PA

Thanks everyone. I will definitely have my Ripka jewlery on, and will dress casually. We are going to see the "Addams Family" with Nathan Lane & Bebe Neuwirth in it. Front row orchestra seats - very excited!

Floss - thanks for the idea about jr's cheesecakes - yummmy we will stop there for sure :)

~ the original NicksMom

Gloria1286976770.9934313 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/12/2010 ibb38 said:

Dress up? No.... but dress for what you're doing before or after the show. I saw Rock of Ages last weekend and comfort was the most important thing!

I agree with the dress for what you are doing before and after. If you will be walking around Time Square/the Theatre District in the evening, it is starting to get chilly. Be sure to have a nice jacket/blazer/wrap. Comfortable shoes a must!

I would dress in black pants and a nice sweater set or top, maybe with a pretty scarf that ties it all together. People don't dress too much for the shows anymore. You will see some dressed in jeans and some dressed up more nicely.

Enjoy the show!

Gloria

lulu21286979397.6820974 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Saturday night shows many people do dress up. I usually wear black dress pants and a dressier jacket, twin set or blouse and wrap. You'll see any and all fashion. Some tourists will have on jeans and sneakers while occasionally you'll see formal wear. The seats are very close together and it can get warm. If you wear a coat, you will have to sit on it or hold it.

Have fun!

birdaroni1286980710.7213 PostsRegistered 7/2/2010

Dress to be comfortable. A nice pair of dark or black jeans and definitely comfortable shoes.

ibb381286992992.712123 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/13/2010 rietzel said:

I am going to see the musical Rock of Ages Friday night and will be wearing ivory dress pants, an ivory lace blouse and an ivory boucle jacket by Louis Dell Olio with lots of chains and pearl necklaces and pearl earrings. I wear what I want to wear and you should too.

Enjoy the show!

I jsut saw Rock of Ages last weekend- Dee Snider from Twisted Sister's in it now. Such fun- and he was great! He was also very fan friendly after the show- he talked to a bunch of us, signed autographs, etc.

2zbeach1287003287.2632205 PostsRegistered 5/2/2005

You can wear anything you want. My outfit....dark jeans, blazer, crisp white shirt, minimal jewelry--cuff, necklace,earrings, regular wedding set, little heel or boots. Think what you're doing before and after--best advice.

Karlakaye1287004758.967874 PostsRegistered 7/6/2009The beautiful Chesapeake Bay

I just had to chime in because my daughter, granddaughter, niece and I are going to NYC from VA Nov 5-7 and have tickets to see "Wicked". My plan (today anyway) is to wear what I want to and am comfortable in----White House Black Market gray sweater jacket with sequins (the one Colleen Lopez copied for her TS), heather gray skirt, black tights and lace up boots. WE are over the moon with excitement---first trip for my granddaughter who's a freshman in college.

Have a great time!

KK

"It's a dog-eat-dog-world and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear." Norm on Cheers

irish mama1287005146.0034492 PostsRegistered 5/10/2007

I would dress warmly it is going to be chilly could still be raining

For a night show I usually wear, black slacks or black jeans. Nice sweater or blouse/top blazer or jacket and very low heeled black boots. minimal jewelry.

What are you going to see?

PpprMintPa­tty1287005363.75718677 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol
On 10/13/2010 NicksMom said:

Thanks everyone. I will definitely have my Ripka jewlery on, and will dress casually. We are going to see the "Addams Family" with Nathan Lane & Bebe Neuwirth in it. Front row orchestra seats - very excited!

Floss - thanks for the idea about jr's cheesecakes - yummmy we will stop there for sure :)

Yes, hit Jr's after the show, it's delicious! It is really packed on a Saturday night though.

As for the attire, don't have much to add, I agree with being comfortable. I wore nice jeans, nice sweater, and JR! Wink

~Formerly known as Danny~

Luvmycats1287006168.5734427 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007

Yes, of course you get dressed up. It's in badtaste not to, although, you may see a bit of everything. You could wear a pant suit or a simple black dress.

Page 1 of 1