Fashion Special Offers
20 Members and 12244 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

What happened to the Walmart Shoe Dept?

Started 1286215782.493 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1286847075.427 by ROMARY

They used to have isles and isles of shoes, all sorts of brands like No Boudaries & Thom McKan. They used to have tons of Earth Shoes offered in a variety of styles and colors but no more. Just a couple to offer in black and an isle of haning white tennis shoes with velcro closings. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} They used to have at least 4 full isles of womans shoes and now only one. Does anyone know what happened? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Page 1 of 2
depglass1286216132.45323458 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Our store still has a bunch. Unfortunately I can't find a good fit there. Seems like what they need is a new shoe buyer. They've got the biggest retail clientele in the world, the most buying power, and they have totally botched their shoe dept.

luvmypupz1286216297.264991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore

I noticed ever since they did the remodels and took out the fabric dept there shoe dept was really cut down and is horrible. Not that I found many shoes there but some of the leather summer sandals were nice.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

peppersmom21286216433.9273016 PostsRegistered 8/22/2006

When they remodeled my store about a year ago we lost the shoe department. I don't understand why because it seemed like a busy section in the store, especially the childrens shoes. All we have now is a few slippers and a rack of polishes and shoe laces.

Cardamom1286216559.766634 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

Thanks ladies. I thought it was just mine but now that you mention it luvmypupz it is the new Super Centers. I really liked the Earth Shoes. I have many clogs and sandals from past years. It's very sad now. Seems like it is geared toward a "working shoe" with the Dr. Shoels, Tread Safe and steel toed boots. And now the small shoe dept. is in the Womans Dept. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Cardamom1286216747.986634 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
On 10/4/2010 peppersmom2 said:

When they remodeled my store about a year ago we lost the shoe department. I don't understand why because it seemed like a busy section in the store, especially the childrens shoes. All we have now is a few slippers and a rack of polishes and shoe laces.

I thought so too. I guess maybe the shoes weren't good sellers. Too bad they made everything bigger and better but the shoe dept. I am not a crafter but I think that section might be smaller too.

Idacat1286218283.4174706 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

I used to love the Earth Spirit line as well as the Dr Scholl's line for work. I could get comfortable shoes that lasted forever. I wore my Earth Spirit sport sandals this summer for the EIGHTH summer.

I also used to pick up something like a cute T or turtleneck about every trip to WM. Now there is not a thing I'd wear, even around the house. And I LOVED the Whte Stag stretch jeans, comfortable, inexpensive, also lasted forever.

Then,it was all gone.

Why? This is the new WalMart. The change happened when they promoted the national manager from Mexico to be the national manager in the US. The "point" of this type of marketing management is "speed shopping"; the philosophy being to decrease the choices so people can get in and out of the store, having bought what they wanted, and out the door quickly. Part of this is selling one brand or type of something lie laundry soap or fabric softener in only one of several available sizes. I buy all that stuff at Target now, but they are doing some of the same thing.

They think this will increase their customer base and customers will leave the store more satisfied with the WM shopping experience.

Maybe in Mexico, but my WM is a brand new huge store (600,000 sq ft) in an affluent area. I was disappointed and buy much less in all categories than when I shopped at the old store with the old format and philosophy and I know no one who disagrees with me. I've spoken to the local store's department and general managers,it all comes from above and there isn't a thing they can do about it. I've emailed corporate through the website; they have referred my concerns,back to the local store management they have called me but,I already talked to them. It's a vicious circle.

I honestly cannot imagine why they think this is a good idea. Decrease choice to build business? Makes no sense to me. Yet WalMart's bottom line seems to be doing OK because losing our day to day T shirt and shoe business is more than being made up for by the fact that WalMart is now the largest retailer of electronics in the US (maybe the world). Not that they haven't earned this, I've bought my last computer there, my large flat panel TV, my Blu Ray player that streams Netflix, and my GPS there, all at rock bottom prices in comparison with other retailers, all with better return policies than other retailers, and I'm happy with them all.

Still, I'd like my White Stag turtlenecks and Earth Spirit shoes back.

It isn't as if being able to buy more clothing items would prevent me from still buying electronics.

LipstickDi­va1286218551.2936969 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

One of our local WMs closed and they opened a Super Center 2 minutes from my house. The old WM had certain areas that were much better than the super center.

I too had some earth spirit flip flops that were by far the most comfortable flipflops I have ever owned. They quit carrying them. Our's never did carry Thom McCann but our K-Mart does.

I did happen to buy a pair of Danskin gym shoes for walking my dog and they are the most comfortable walking shoes I own. But they are horribly uncomfortable for me to wear on my gazelle?

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

circles1286218821.09317046 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.

Maybe there was too much theft from the shoe department...and that is why they cut back...or there was too much aggravation...I was just in my Walmart the other day..but didn't go into that area...so i don't know if the shoes have been cut back....

missyw11286218869.53732024 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

We have those shoes listed by the Op here. There's hardly any wides. Rarely any 11 or 11W.

peppersmom21286218922.8273016 PostsRegistered 8/22/2006
On 10/4/2010 IheartGoldens said:
On 10/4/2010 peppersmom2 said:

I thought so too. I guess maybe the shoes weren't good sellers. Too bad they made everything bigger and better but the shoe dept. I am not a crafter but I think that section might be smaller too.

When they remodeled the store the ruined the natural flow. I used to enjoy walking around and browsing but now just go to the department I need to and leave. They made the electronics section much larger but you can't find anyone working there to help you if you need to. The grocery department is all about the generic Walmart brand and they have really cut back in selections. Business is really down in my Walmarts and with this economy and most people trying to get the most for a dollar they should be busier than ever.

Saint Loui­s Gal1286219001.7034175 PostsRegistered 12/30/2007

Try on-line. You will find a much wider selection.

Funloving1286220507.877982 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Payless actually carries some nice brands like AirWalk.

-By grace alone through faith alone-

TennesseeY­ankee1286221064.8031119 PostsRegistered 7/20/2006The Tennessee Valley

I hate the new store layout too! I used to be able to run in, pick up some dog/cat food, and run out again; now that pet supplies are all the way in the back of the store. There are now several clearance sections, but with "clearance prices" similar to those you'd find on the Q, i.e., a very small percentage off.

We still have a show department, but it's much smaller than it used to be. I don't get my "regular" shoes there, but it was fun to find a pair in a color that would match just one or two outfits and not feel guilty about buying them because the price was so low.

They used to have some really cute clothes too, but it's been months since I've found anything that even remotely tempted me, even in the George line. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} The "new" Walmart clothing department reminds me of how it was years ago, when there was rarely anything fashionable of stylish - just cheap basics.

BTW, Thom McAnn is/was sold by K-Mart. It's years since I've been in one, but I'm assuming they still have them.

"How well you did in life won't be judged by how much money you made, but by how many hearts you touched, and by how much of your love you gave." ~ Themis Eagleson

kitkom1286221278.1175646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I thought I was the only one missing the shoe dept at Walmart! I bought many a shoe there! Every since they remodeled the store, zip,nadda, no shoes. I can't figure out their marketing! {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Now I never go to Walmart.

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

JMINNY1286221315.022233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.

You know, now that you mention it-that's true....I have not purchased alot of shoes there, however-I did buy a pair of earth shoes awhile back and those things are so darn comfortable, they are now my slippers around the house...i don't want to take them off!!! slippers are normally so cheap and uncomfortable, I stopped buying them and use these earth shoes....I wish they would get them back....

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

I am a WEN girl, a Geller girl, a Mallinista, and proud of it!!!

jojobeans1286221449.693335 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

They built a new Super Walmart in a neighboring city, and their shoe department offers way less than our older, not 'super', Walmart.

"It's deja vu all over again''......Yogi Berra

Hooty1286223385.2918198 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~Sweet Home Alabama~

You forgot Dr. Scholl's shoes! I bought a pair of navy clogs last year by them, similar to Ryka's & Easy Spirit, and wore them all winter and loved, loved, loved them! I was looking yesterday to see if they had anything similar, and they had nothing!

Cardamom1286228103.9636634 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

Thanks for all the replies. What a bummer and it sounds like it is not going to change.

I have checked on line. There is nothing. I guess WM is out of the shoe business. They are worse than Target and Targets shoe dept is horrible.

Thanks for the tips on Thom McCann. I don't have many KMarts near me but occasionally pass by one when traveling. I may have to stop by.

They still have a couple Dr. Scholl's shoes, just a couple styles but they look like work shoes or nurses shoes. I had the cutest and most comfortable sandals by them. They looked exactly like White Mountain sandals with little cut out details.

Last edited on 10/4/2010

Last edited on 10/4/2010

drizzellla1286237058.6771475 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

I can't help but think that Walmart had to have a large inventory of all kinds of different styles and sizes of shoes and the sales did not justify all the department space. If they didn't have enough sales I can see that they would get rid of it.

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

hairydogmo­ther1286574821.437855 PostsRegistered 7/31/2010

I havn't been able to find any shoes that I like at Wall Mart in a long time. The same goes for Payless Shoes. Times - they are achanging! Does anyone have a fabulous place to shop for cute and affordable shoes?

Why buy purebred when you can rescue pure love? Adopt a pet!

Idacat1286575361.7874706 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/8/2010 hairydogmother said:

I havn't been able to find any shoes that I like at Wall Mart in a long time. The same goes for Payless Shoes. Times - they are achanging! Does anyone have a fabulous place to shop for cute and affordable shoes?

Yes K-Mart if you have one where you are. I went there yesterday for some tub mats that were in the flyer and thought I'd check them out. I got two pairs, both all leather, soft with good support a brown Thom McAn casual Mary Jane and black suede/leather flat pumps, also padded with arch support by Cobbie Cuddlers; BOGO, got both for $40.

I have funky feet so I came home one happy campersince I usually spend at LEAST $100 for shoes no better made or looking.

The really funny thing is that because of this thread I looked in the WM shoe deprtment the other day when I was grocery shopping and, although there was precious little there I got a pair of Dr Scholl's Ryka-like mesh and suede sneaker Mary Janes that are also really comfortable, cute, and fit my funky feet.

brenbren1286575660.9331215 PostsRegistered 11/28/2007The South
On 10/4/2010 Saint Louis Gal said:

Try on-line. You will find a much wider selection.

I was about to say that. I got some very nice earth sandals from them online this summer.

fashionfav­es1286575803.4033018 PostsRegistered 1/23/2005Just South of Sanity! ;)
On 10/4/2010 luvmypupz said:

I noticed ever since they did the remodels and took out the fabric dept there shoe dept was really cut down and is horrible. Not that I found many shoes there but some of the leather summer sandals were nice.

We still have a fabric department but it's MUCH smaller. I haven't bought shoes at Walmart since the remodel. The shoe department is awful and I've complained about it but it's done no good. The last two times I've been in the store I haven't been able to find any clothing expect basics like T-shirts. The Plus Size department is loaded with nice clothing but I'm not a plus size. I think the entire store has gone downhill.

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
A Neilen

Idacat1286576670.344706 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/8/2010 fashionfaves said:
On 10/4/2010 luvmypupz said:

We still have a fabric department but it's MUCH smaller. I haven't bought shoes at Walmart since the remodel. The shoe department is awful and I've complained about it but it's done no good. The last two times I've been in the store I haven't been able to find any clothing expect basics like T-shirts. The Plus Size department is loaded with nice clothing but I'm not a plus size. I think the entire store has gone downhill.

I've complained to CORPORATE through the website, gotten calls from the local store manager and, no results.

I don't think any of the women's clothing departments are half what they used to be. Remember George?

It is hard for me to imagine this has not affected their bottom line.

Blondilocks1286578178.073839 PostsRegistered 3/13/2007Home

I noticed that too with our Walmart The shoes are horrible and much less quality shoes if any. Our Walmart has gone downhill fast. Im glad we have other options

Page 1 of 2