Holidays at Home
40 Members and 10016 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

What is the average life of a laptop computer?

Started 1283186162.32 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1283842859.463 by j marie

My Gateway laptop is 7 years old. I do not use it for business purposes. Sometimes it gets very slow and it's soooo irritating. Then the next time I use it, it's fine and working perfectly. I have good virus protection. I was just wondering what the average life-span is? TIA K {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

War Eagle!

Page 1 of 1
Dachsie1283186548.22607 PostsRegistered 6/4/2006

Good question. I want to know too as am considering buying one for the bedroom.

My desktop computer is about 3 years old and lately it is irritatingly slow. I think I need to see about some "speed up your computer" software.

luvdobes1283187441.257665 PostsRegistered 6/1/2010

I would like to know as well. I have a Dell desktop and laptop. Both are 5 years old and sometimes they can be slow. Decided to check out desktop replacements to see what was offered now. The one thing that did puzzle me was a comment by the sales person. He said the laptops are not meant to last hence the price of budget or mid-range laptops. I guess the thing that caught my attention was the cost of a warranty totalling up to 50% of the total sales price. The cost appears to be calculated differently for each manufacturer. Is this due to failure rates or probabilities of failure?

RedConvert­ibleGirl1283187509.43714137 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I have a Dell that I use for work and it's 6 years old. No problems.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

nutmeg31283188706.154846 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 8/30/2010 luvdobes said:

I would like to know as well. I have a Dell desktop and laptop. Both are 5 years old and sometimes they can be slow. Decided to check out desktop replacements to see what was offered now. The one thing that did puzzle me was a comment by the sales person. He said the laptops are not meant to last hence the price of budget or mid-range laptops. I guess the thing that caught my attention was the cost of a warranty totalling up to 50% of the total sales price. The cost appears to be calculated differently for each manufacturer. Is this due to failure rates or probabilities of failure?

A computer slows down after while, because it is being used. You should check your service manual to take the computer back to the out of the box setting. It is called PC-restore. It will erase all your programs, and data( photos, emails, word Docs etc. This is a link for a Dell. PC-Restore Windows XP.

SydneyH1283564374.9641208 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

Before giving up I would have a techie sweep or clean your computer. It should be significantly faster after that is done.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

SydneyH1283564379.73341208 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

Before giving up I would have a techie sweep or clean your computer. It should be significantly faster after that is done.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

cats021283591183.571663 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007

I had a Mac PowerBook G4 that lasted for 6 years before I started to have trouble with it. I rarely carried it out of the house and when I did I was extremely careful with it.

glb6131283592030.8110958 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/30/2010 Dachsie said:

Good question. I want to know too as am considering buying one for the bedroom.

My desktop computer is about 3 years old and lately it is irritatingly slow. I think I need to see about some "speed up your computer" software.

Don't waste your time or money on "speed up your computer" software. Start over by formatting the hard drive and reinstall everything. It will breathe new life into an old computer. Since it's only 3 years old, there should be a recovery partition that will put it back to it's out of the box shape. Be advised, if you don't have copies of your data, make some before proceeding.

blondegirl1283608633.6571784 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

to actually answer the question - as a matter of course most IT people will tell you a laptop does not last as long as a desktop - largely because they tend to overheat more than a desktop. Not sure if one of those doodads that lifts it off the desk it sits on actually help or not. There are a few - disclean, disk defrag - programs you can run yourself that may help speed it up as they clean it up. I would for sure never re-format my hard drive and start over.

My laptop has slown down considerably. In my case I know that it is from Comcast's decision to move from McAfee to Norton's security suite. it was almost instantaneously slow. Somehow Norton's program just does not seem to run as well in the background etc. and it is sometimes those programs that are solely responsible. You don't see them but they are running in the background.

gonnab1283609082.0632987 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

My Dell desktop has slowed to a crawl - there is some "script" that is running in the background. I can hearing it grinding away. Don't know what it is and for now, I don't have the money to call in my computer tech. It is sooooo annoying! I have Comcast but had opted out of Norton - have AVG instead. And I do regular defrag and disk cleanup regularly - minimum once a week since I do alot of web searches. I hope to get this cleared up soon!

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

colson1283609572.8177438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
On 9/4/2010 gonnab said:

My Dell desktop has slowed to a crawl - there is some "script" that is running in the background. I can hearing it grinding away. Don't know what it is and for now, I don't have the money to call in my computer tech. It is sooooo annoying! I have Comcast but had opted out of Norton - have AVG instead. And I do regular defrag and disk cleanup regularly - minimum once a week since I do alot of web searches. I hope to get this cleared up soon!

I sincerely hope you have everything backed up ... if not, do so asap. A grinding sound is often indicative of hard drive failure.....and the only times I heard it was leading up to a hard drive crash.

glb6131283637309.5210958 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/4/2010 blondegirl said:

to actually answer the question - as a matter of course most IT people will tell you a laptop does not last as long as a desktop - largely because they tend to overheat more than a desktop. Not sure if one of those doodads that lifts it off the desk it sits on actually help or not. There are a few - disclean, disk defrag - programs you can run yourself that may help speed it up as they clean it up. I would for sure never re-format my hard drive and start over.

My laptop has slown down considerably. In my case I know that it is from Comcast's decision to move from McAfee to Norton's security suite. it was almost instantaneously slow. Somehow Norton's program just does not seem to run as well in the background etc. and it is sometimes those programs that are solely responsible. You don't see them but they are running in the background.

Why wouldn't you format and start over? It's the best thing you can do to breathe new life into an old computer. The cleanup programs do nothing more that part you from your money.

I have Comcast and you don't have use their free anti-virus programs.

cats021283685724.921663 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007
On 9/4/2010 glb613 said:
On 9/4/2010 blondegirl said:

Why wouldn't you format and start over? It's the best thing you can do to breathe new life into an old computer. The cleanup programs do nothing more that part you from your money.

I have Comcast and you don't have use their free anti-virus programs.

I also have Comcast. Last time I looked, their anti-virus stuff wasn't Mac compatible anyway. Even if it was, I'm not sure I'd use it.

j marie1283842859.462945 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007

Assuming there are no defective parts, I've never had a laptop slow to the point of non-use or die. Usually, they just get old enough that they become underpowered for the tasks I want to do, or incompatible with newer software.

After doing a complete back-up, a complete restore will often buy you more time with an old laptop. It's important to do regular maintenance, cleaning up junk files, up-dates, etc. Programs like CCleaner or ASC or others are easy and efficient.

You can also open up your Task Manager (you may have an icon in the toolbar, or open the control panel) and see what is running in the background. There may be programs you don't need and can uninstall, or at least set to not run at start-up.

Make sure you have adequate security and anti-spy and malware protection. Some choices use more resources to run than others. A smaller footprint can help a less powered laptop run faster.

I have a "script" issue, too, on one laptop, that I haven't been able to detect; but it doesn't cause a noise, just slow loading of the MSNBC web-site, and it kicks my fan into higher gear. But I get a message after a couple of minutes allowing me to "stop script" and then it's fine. I suspect it's some sort of advertising script trying to load itself. They've recently revamped the site, and video streaming that site has become less stable than it used to be on that laptop. Still working to try and figure out an adaptation.

Page 1 of 1