Just-Reduced Clearance
19 Members and 13497 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Throw Away Phones?

Started 1281631396.707 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1282065616.23 by Hysterical
replies

Hubby will be traveling for a few weeks in September. He hates phones so it isn't cost effective for him to sign up for a service plan. Yet he wishes to be able to contact me and to have something in case of emergency.

Is there such a thing as an economical "throw away phone" that's good for a month or so?

Thanks in advance,,,Smile tabby

Tabby
~ At my age ... Less is More~
"Without Failure, We Would Not Recognize Success"

Page 1 of 1
EM71281637050.271917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009

Sure--just get a prepaid phone at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or similar store. Usually they come with minutes to start out with, which will probably be enough for a few weeks. You can ditch it after that, or keep adding minutes to keep the phone active--the minutes keep rolling over if you don't use them. There have been threads about prepaid phones, and T-Mobile seems to the most economical. I have AT&T, and I have to add $25 every three months to keep it active.

thalmy1281710361.6672276 PostsRegistered 8/31/2009

I'm with T-Mobile. I bought the phone I want. I paid $100.00 for 1,000 minutes and gold status. Those minutes are good for a full year withouthaving to add minutes before the year.

Then as little as I use it. I only add $10.00 a year to keep it active. The minutes roll over and I get a 15% in bonus minutes because of the gold status. Other than the purchase of the phone. Over a five year period of time. It's cost me a total of $140.00 and I still have over 800 minutes left.

Thom
Forever in our hearts.

Tabbycat1281796177.2472828 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007

Okay...thank you. I'll check out TMobile.

I've had a TracFone for 8 years and have always been very happy with it and to make it easy on myself, I buy units only once a year. About 6 mos. ago, I tried to upgrade to a newer phone and have my remaining units transferred off the old onto the new one. What a mess!!! I was never so aggravated. I don't know what has happened to their customer service, but they are so un-organized now and nobody seems to have an answer... switching you from one representative to another .... and they put you on hold for ever. I was on the phone with their CS all total, over 5 hours before I got it straightened out.....and I was out of a phone for 3 days! Ended up just keeping my old phone. Don't really want to do any more business with them than neccessary any more.

If this TMobile is a good one, I just may not renew my units with tracFone and go with TM.

Thanks EM7 and Thalmy Smile

Tabby
~ At my age ... Less is More~
"Without Failure, We Would Not Recognize Success"

AngelPuppy11281796448.2638602 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

Yes, a Trac Phone would be a good option. You can get them at Dollar Stores or Target, etc. I think DH and I paid $29 for ours. So, if something happens to it or you want to get rid of it, no big del!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

thalmy1281815051.5732276 PostsRegistered 8/31/2009

Tabby, my phone battery was about useless. They stopped making the phone and the battery. I got a new phone. They took the sim card out and put it in the new one.

All of my minutes and my saved numbers all tranfered to my new phone.

Thom
Forever in our hearts.

Hysterical1282065616.21461 PostsRegistered 5/8/2010

You can buy them at Walgreen's too. Walmart, Target. Just about anywhere these days.

Just have to pick the plan, minutes you want.

Page 1 of 1