TSV(R) Preview
15 Members and 8601 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Dell Laptop/While Supplies Last BEWARE!!

Started 1347152998.277 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1348861967.033 by danreese

I ordered the While Supplies Last Dell laptop last Saturday on QVC. The date was 09/01/12. I was excited about getting it in the normal time frame of a week to two weeks. I ordered it on the very first show in which they advertised it. I have been watching the While Supplies Last Dell laptop they are advertising now (Saturday). Jacques and Chris from Dell are telling the people that they should receive the purchase of the one they are showing in a little over a week. I just called a Customer Service person who confirmed that my laptop will be arriving on 10/2/12 which shows as the Estimated Date of Delivery on my Order Status page. This is over a month from the time I ordered it. I have never waited a month for anything from QVC. The CSR only tells me that Dell takes that long to build one. People that are really needing these computers for school (which is already in season) and business projects need them now, not a month from now. I am terribly disappointed in the service I am getting from Dell and QVC. I need it now, not a month from now.

Page 1 of 1
Kathleen1347153160.18313150 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I needed a new computer quickly, so I went to Best Buy and purchased one. They loaded all my software, transferred my files from my old PC ... and I was on my way in no time at all.

deanjc1347159955.2994 PostsRegistered 10/28/2006

Thanks to Kathleen for your advice regarding Best Buy and buying my computer there. I think Best Buy has improved their service. I am glad this worked out so well for you.

brava41347295729.31940 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005Northern Virginia

Umm, I just found this laptop on Dell for alot less. I really don't see much difference. Except less moo-lah!!

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-intel-n5050/pd?oc=fndoz18b&model_id=inspiron-15-intel-n5050

"Man is not the lord of all the world's animals. He is the protector" \

Amaly1347295970.163587 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008cali

Q's price is always so much higher on their electronics than elsewhere. Buyer Beware!

depglass1347320486.1724103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

The only advantage to buying Dell on QVC seems to be the Easy Pay. Did it once, big problems, not again.

kelsey 031347321391.057781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

i went to best buy bought a toshiba laptop the one on sale for 649.99, on it right now, works great! i5, 6gb ram, 750 hard drive 17'' laptop. they have a dell there that is similar to the one on here and at sams. 2105slv model on here and sams. best buy its dell 2106slv, its i5, 8gb ram 1tb hard drive.. i was hesitant to go to besty buy with the past high psi sales. no one pressured me to buy any extended warranties. brought it up 1x at checkout said no. if best buy had square trade i would consider it yet they dont, geek squad i wont use them. no one hassled me i found the laptop i went there to buy saw a few under the display picked one n checked out.

brava41347369920.0031940 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005Northern Virginia

Also... I was watching HSN and their laptop was a better price but ALSO their shipping was ONLY $12.95 for a 15inch where QVC's shipping is $30. Just why is that?

"Man is not the lord of all the world's animals. He is the protector" \

danreese1348822227.573 PostsRegistered 9/28/2012

QVC computers usually have extra software, ie: antivirus subscriptions etc. Also configurations are sometimes different. Yes you can find cheaper prices but QVCs 5-6 months interest free plus great customer service can mean much more than a lower price. No I am not a QVC schill, just been a customer for 20yrs. Having dealt with many customer service reps with other companies of all kinds, in my experience and opinion, nobody can beat QVCs reps. I too am waiting for a Dell computer, delays are not QVCs fault, that is just the way Dell operates even on their own website. Just my opinion, but I do respect your comments.

robomo1348832003.3239441 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I hate Dell. I also went to Best Buy and got a wonderful computer from HP. They too loaded everything, made me a backup disk, etc. all for less money than I could have bought similar on any of the shopping channels. They also educated me a little on security suites. I bought Kaspersky and I still pay for the upgrades every two years. It's the best security program I've ever had. Worth every penny. I'm not sure Best Buy will be in business a couple more years, but I always go there first when I want something that plugs in.

BlingQueen­0221348834325.6474836 PostsRegistered 9/23/2012

Dell does not take a month to build a computer. I don't purchase Dell products anymore due to shotty workmanship, but when you order from their site I've always received mine within two weeks of the order. You should really order from the source, not from a shopping channel.

violann1348834898.16312724 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
When you buy a Dell you are also buying the opportunity to spend hours on the phone with someone from India who will treat you with contempt because you have told him/her that you need extra time to do what he/she tells you to do to fix your computer, which won't work anyway. We loved Dells and had nothing but Dells in our house, until that happened just once too often. Now happy Apple users.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

danreese1348861967.0333 PostsRegistered 9/28/2012

Sometimes going to the source is faster, but when QVC runs out of stock ie: in 1 hour last week they sold 20000 Dell computers, of course there would be a long wait. I have had 3 Hp's, including one I just returned and 1 I bought at BB. 1 worked great, other two were junk, both returned within 3 days. Not unusual mostly due to assembly line construction. I have my Toshiba for 3 yrs and it works, however lcd/lid separating from main board. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. Frustrating yes, uncommon, no. As for HSN note:

“For the most part, QVC and HSN offer similar products, but HSN has higher average selling prices. Liberty Interactive CEO Gregory Maffei calls the QVC-HSN relationship ‘co-competition’ and notes that they tend to take share from conventional retailers, not from one another,” according to Barron’s

As for a potential QVC-HSN merger, here is what Barron’s has to say:

QVC may soon have the U.S. TV-shopping business mostly to itself, as it’s expected to snap up its smaller rival eventually. Malone (Liberty chairman and cable cowboy John Malone) has called a potential marriage ‘fairly obvious.’ Maffei calls the talk ‘speculation,’ but adds that ‘We’re in no rush to do it.’ HSN CEO Mindy Grossman declined to comment

Page 1 of 1