Fashion & Accessories Clearance
114 Members and 15480 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Are Google Search and Maps Going Away or Just iGoogle?

Started 1341362489.977 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1341640873.66 by pegz29
replies

I just read on my iGoogle page that iGoogle is going away November 2013. So does that mean that the Google search engine and Google maps are going away too? I don't understand this stuff very well. Thanks.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Page 1 of 1
jetts_mom1341365158.1132600 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

Not to worry, Tabbychic! Google search and maps are not on the cutting block. I'm sure those are some of their most successful products, and what they're doing is culling older products so they can concentrate on what they do best. iGoogle and Google Videos are 2 that are being cut, since between YouTube and all the new apps being written and are available from sites all over the internet, they just aren't worth keeping up.

Here's a little LA Times news article that talks about it.

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

Brinklii1341371757.5410277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

Jetts_mom ~~ Thank you! That is great to hear. I use iGoogle as my home page. The news on my homepage said I can just download Google Chrome. I take it that is a browser like Internet Explorer. Will it work with anything? I just have a desktop with high speed internet access. I'm not into iPhones (or whatever) and all these fancy apps that everyone is talking about...still living in the dark ages of electronics, I guess!

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

colenna1341411223.48103 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

now i did it. i had igoogle. my home page opened to have my most used bookmarks on it. i clicked on classic google and lost igoogle. i can't get it back. when i got this imac laptop i had google chrome taken off as i didn't like it.

like tabbychic i am in the dark ages actually stupid when it comes to computers. i use fire fox. i don't like safari.

what are some of the other search engines and how do you find them? i'd really llike to get my igoogle back and be able to use it till nov 2013

thanks for any help

lena

Brinklii1341416229.03310277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

Colenna ~~ Well, I'm like the blind leading the blind, but just go to the regular google search page. You are probably just signed out. Do you have the black google bar at the top of the page? There should be a little icon of a tool (wrench) on the UR of that bar. Click on it, and it should say "igoogle" under it. Or do you just have a place on the main google page where it asks you to sign in? Or, do you have a gmail account...you just need to sign in to that. Or just put in the address "igoogle.com." Let me know if this works. I have my home page set to igoogle, but every now and then somehow I get signed out. This is what I do.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

colenna1341435433.76103 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006
On 7/4/2012 Tabbychic said:

Colenna ~~ Well, I'm like the blind leading the blind, but just go to the regular google search page. You are probably just signed out. Do you have the black google bar at the top of the page? There should be a little icon of a tool (wrench) on the UR of that bar. Click on it, and it should say "igoogle" under it. Or do you just have a place on the main google page where it asks you to sign in? Or, do you have a gmail account...you just need to sign in to that. Or just put in the address "igoogle.com." Let me know if this works. I have my home page set to igoogle, but every now and then somehow I get signed out. This is what I do.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

The first thing I looked for was the wrench icon but it is gone. Don't have a clue how I did it but I got the igoogle page on the screen. I dragged it onto the line accross the screen that has bookmarks. My homepage comes up classic, when I click on the igoogle it opens. I can live with that. I like having my list of favorite bookmarks on the igoogle homepage. I don't think the new google will let me have the bookmarks listed. I haven't had a chance to explore another search engine. I want to check out Yahoo.

I was signed in. I still don't know what I did to get the classic up!!!

I really appreciate you trying to help me.

pegz291341640873.661 PostsRegistered 7/7/2012

One simple way to get your igoogle page back is to type in igoogle in your address bar press enter hope this helps

Last edited on 7/7/2012

Last edited on 7/7/2012

Page 1 of 1