Share the Love
181 Members and 13917 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Computer picking up radio signals????

Started 1340064300.837 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1340218933.04 by bonnielu

I know I am not haunted but since last night, on and off, my computer (Comcast Cable w/router) seems to be picking up radio signals. I had a technician remotely literally try all kinds of security software. Nothing seemed to stop the "voices" and music coming out of my speakers. I finally listened carefully and it really did sound like a radio program. The is MY BEST GUESS. I am now wondering if any of you smart people have any ideas why this might be happening or how I can stop it. It is annoying and at first very scary since I thought someone was in my house. It happens about every 20 minutes and lasts for about 30 seconds. Any help, information, discussion would be appreciated. If it is a virus or a trojan, no known program can eliminate it.

Page 1 of 1
onewhiteSp­arrow1340065225.6379947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

Check your area for someone that has a Ham Radio.

One day I heard a voice inside my home. Scared me and I was alone. I went looking for the man's voice all over our house. Could not find any one. And the voice stopped.

Later the voice began again. I went looking for the voice again inside my home. Like before the voice stopped after a few minutes.

Later I just happened to be walking down the hall and the voice started again. This time the voice was above me. I looked upward only to see the door bell box high on the wall. And the voice was coming out of the door bell box that played music and rings.

This happened years ago when I lived in another town. About four blocks away there was a man that was a ham operator.

I went to his house and told him he was riding on a wav that was not permited and his voice was coming inside my door bell inside my home.

That day forward I never heard the voice again.

"From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul. That tale will move them & drive them & who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."

Caffeina1340069774.2631751 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Some web pages have ads on them that play automatically. Is it possible you had a page open that could be doing that? You can also check your task manager to see if it shows a program or media player running.

bonnielu1340112831.95031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Late last night my hubby was on the computer and was able to identify what was coming through. He said it sounded like Howard Stern. So I am assuming we are getting some connection to satellite radio. If that is the case it still does not solve my problem.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. I have used lots of scanning software for viruses and trojans etc. Nothing. I have no clue which neighbor would have this and if so, so what, it should not affect me.

Help anyone.

gardenman1340114159.82315910 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

My first suggestion would be to shut down the computer and restart it. I had an ad that kept playing in the background even after I'd left the site a while back. Shutting down and resarting flushed it out. I don't know if this is a laptop or a desktop, but if it was a laptop I'd try moving it to a different part of the house and see if the problem persists. If it's a desktop then moving the cables (especially the speaker cables) might help. Speaking of which, do the voices go away when you mute the speakers?

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

bonnielu1340123676.025031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

This is not a laptop and the person who built it for me 5 years ago was trying to help me remotely. Lots of fun there for me (I love a good mystery). We put on new security software, updated what was useful and got rid of the rest. He worked on it for two hours and the sounds just got worse. It does sound like interference. But my upstairs computer is fine and so is my laptop. This one computer is the one near the router. I even tried to reset Explorer. I did a system restore to another time. The only thing I have not done is KICK IT. I am just sooo curious. I hear sports commentary, I hear music, I hear weather, my hubby heard Howard Stern.

If it is a trojan of some sorts it has to be really new. No definitions to get rid of it. There has to be some root program hiding somewhere. Or perhaps I have ghosts in the house. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I don't know what else to try. I did move my speakers. I did try to listen to QVC live while the music was playing, but the music took first spot and the Q was silent. When the broadcast stopped I could hear QVC live.

If I am to get free satellite cable you would think I could select my programs {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I hope I am not being compromised.... information... critical documents, etc.

Muting the sound ... I cannot hear it but it is still there... faint in the background. I even called Comcast and they did not have a clue. And I do shut down and start over. No relief.

Last edited on 6/19/2012

Last edited on 6/19/2012

ALTECHNET1340131621.74725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

Yes I use to live near a Police station and I could hear them talking throught the computer. It was odd at first. Not everytime it did that. Mostly what was said on the police scanner that was coming through and some times the EMS.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

onewhiteSp­arrow1340136131.4139947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

Seems like someone in her neighborhood has started to use a radio signal that her computer is picking up.

"From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul. That tale will move them & drive them & who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."

Caffeina1340143845.621751 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I just Googled the problem, and the most common cause seems to be speaker wires that are acting as an antenna and picking up the signals. Here's one of the results-seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008308961_ptmrsh25.html

bonnielu1340145445.2475031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

It started last night. I have just about done everything to fix it. I tried out headphone to see if was the speakers... nope. It is somehow either in the computer or the wires. You would think it would have happened before.

Brabls1340165393.8114740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Tin hat shield for the computer?

ROMARY1340166388.28713292 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010
On 6/18/2012 onewhiteSparrow said:

Check your area for someone that has a Ham Radio.

One day I heard a voice inside my home. Scared me and I was alone. I went looking for the man's voice all over our house. Could not find any one. And the voice stopped.

Later the voice began again. I went looking for the voice again inside my home. Like before the voice stopped after a few minutes.

Later I just happened to be walking down the hall and the voice started again. This time the voice was above me. I looked upward only to see the door bell box high on the wall. And the voice was coming out of the door bell box that played music and rings.

This happened years ago when I lived in another town. About four blocks away there was a man that was a ham operator.

I went to his house and told him he was riding on a wav that was not permited and his voice was coming inside my door bell inside my home.

That day forward I never heard the voice again.

I'm wondering that if you could hear him, then he could hear you?................

Yellow Rose

bonnielu1340191866.535031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I am wondering if I find out that someone has a ham radio what do I do? If anyone is causing interference, what do I do? I cannot believe this is happening. Last night I called comcast, not all that helpful. However they did ask me to remove a few connections.

1. I removed the modem when I heard the sound. First time the sound stopped. However the second time the sound kept on coming.

2. I powered down the computer and it wanted to update something... my luck. While it was in "don't turn me off until I am finish mode" the computer was still talking to me.

I even tried disconnecting the router. Is it the motherboard? Is it the connections? It would be easier to say I am haunted burt my hubby cannot use his language program and he is not all that excited right now.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1340193247.391588 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
After doing a quick Google search on FM, Bluetooth, and computers, it appears that either Bluetooth or a WIFI network can pick up stray radio signals of many types. Sometimes, ham radio operators start rebroadcasting an FM radio station, which I think is illegal. Perhaps someone around you has started a new hobby, and is doing this. If you manage to pick up call letters for a radio station when you hear the voices, you can also complain to the station. If it is just a ham operator, you will probably have to locate him and either report him, or ask him to broadcast on a different channel.

ALTECHNET1340214054.197725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

No ham radio, it's local police, ems, fire department. They don't have to be around the corner they could do a drive-by and I could hear them from the PC in the dining room / kitchen. Clear too. Like they're right in the same room. I was in small town when it happen.

Today that problem is gone..

Either package and move of that locations or just move that PC from that location.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

bonnielu1340218933.0375031 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I am still getting stuff but it seems almost like a repeat. I am getting a "60 minute update from Rachel." I know my daughter isn't doing it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I am getting sports discussion and then strange music, mostly instrumental. I am getting ads but short ones. I have no clue who would be the ham operator but who knows could be anyone. I wonder what the distance would have to be. Most houses are not all that close to me. New one way above on the hill but no idea if they would do this. Neighbor next door is deaf so that will rule them out. Other side neighbor is electrical engineer who was a ham operator but I already called him and he is packing for a trip.

Radio shack sells a shield or filter for 20 dollars but it could be a computer virus that has not been discovered yet.

I am suspicious of ASK.com and it is not on my program list and I cannot remove it. I tried and I am afraid of going online and getting software (free) to try to remove the toolbar. The remedy might be worst than the disease.

Page 1 of 1