TSV(R) Preview
9 Members and 15267 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Blue Ray DVD Players

Started 1336235706.81 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1336343573.92 by luvsbulldogs

Hi everyone..........we are in the process of replacing all of our old TV's with HD wide screen ones. We have one already in the house so I thought the process would be simple. Not so at least for us who are not electronic savy at all.

We use Dish Network and have one computer that is on DSL. We live in the sticks so this is all that we can get. We went to Best Buy and purchased 4 different sized TV's. Then my husband decided that he wanted to get a new DVD player. He wanted a Blue Ray so we asked about the differences and decided to go with a Sony one. Now the salesperson at Best Buy tells us that there are 2 models one that you need to connect to a wireless router to get updates and the other you need to use a cord. The computer is upstairs in an office and the TV with the DVD player is downstairs so the cord is out of the question. We do not have wireless so I am told this will involve having to add a wireless router. My question is we do not want to use it for anything other then to watch movies ....nothing else. Also have a lot of old movies that were not widescreen so I was told that this will convert them and play them. I was told that I still have to connect to wireless for the updates or down the line the DVD player will not play certain CD movies. I do not understand this at all and would love for someone to explain what they are talking about. I am almost tempted to return the Blue Ray and just get a plain old DVD player.

Just talked to Dish Network and since we have so many TV's we are going with the new Hopper set-up. They need to come here and make a lot of changes......should be interesting. Glad that I called them though....they are saving us a lot of money. We were going to have the Geek squad come out to install it all and now other then the cost of the hoppers and the $1.00 more a month on our bill it is saving us over $500.00. Would love to know if anyone has the Hopper and if it is user friendly for non savy people like us. THIA

Page 1 of 1
glb6131336236624.3511138 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

A wireless Blu-ray player is just like a regular Blu-ray player if you are watching DVD movies on disk. They play both Blu-ray disks and regular non-Blu-ray disks and makes them look great. The wireless is for updating the player's firmware(think of it like drivers for your computer)and to access the internet to stream movies. The player will work without a firmware update if you can't connect it to your internet service while connected to a TV. Have a wireless signal in your home makes it easy to update if desired.

If you have no plans to stream movies, a DSL signal may not be fast enough), the don't get that type of Blu-ray player. There are plenty of models that don't have internet apps and they are cheaper.

kelsey 031336237122.547781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

panasonic bdt 220 is wireless and u dont need a dongle to connect it to the internet its wireless. u can get a cisco router E2500 is what i just bought to replace another cisco. u can easily get the updates online copy onto a dvd disc and put the disc into the blueray player to update. i have 2 panasonic blueray players one i have to update this way and the other one is wireless. i got my dad the bdt 220. very simple to use. best buy likes to complicate chocolate milk. u can get the flash drives for the tvs thru the manufacturer to receive wireless updates on the tvs. u will have to get a wireless router. we have a several things connected wirelessly. tvs, computers, desk and laptop, perpherials, game systems..im on a cable system i dont know how successful dsl is.. ive had dsl n wasnt impressed.. the tvs do not match the brand of blue ray players.. there is a stronger cisco router the number escapes me that may work if u have a large house or many floors. cisco makes the software for the competitor routers.. good luck with the hopper. i have no cable set top boxes for tv right now.

gardenman1336249039.8117170 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Blu-ray players are made to be upgradable as technology changes. To upgrade them it's necessary to connect them to the Internet to download the update. All of them will connect via an ethernet cable so you can always take the DVD player to the DSL modem and do the firmware update that way. A wi-fi one will let you upgrade it without physically connecting it to the router with a cable. If you don't upgrade your player and they change the technology for newer releases (which has happened a few times since Blu-rays first came along) then your player won't be able to play the newer discs, or access all of the features of the disc.

Streaming is a nice feature for Blu-ray players and pretty neat too. You may not think you want it now, but that may change in the future. As a rule there's not a huge difference in price these days between wifi capable and ethernet only dvd players, so I'd probably bite the bullet and go with the wifi enabled one if I had a choice. Wireless routers are pretty affordable these days ($30 and up) so it's not a huge investment to set up a wireless network in your home. (Hint: Check with your ISP and they may give you a DSL modem/wireless router combo for free.) As to DSL being fast enough for streaming, I had a 1.5 mbps connection originally and it did a decent job of streaming non-HD programming. I've now got a 5.0 mbps connection and it's borderline fast enough for some higher def streams, but not all. You really need about 8.0 mbps to really stream HD programming.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

glb6131336254243.5411138 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

How are you going to see the menu on the Blu-ray player if it's only connected to the modem? It needs the TV to see what you're doing.

VolvoGirl1336254713.397604 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

Why you need to update the player. I have a Sony Playstation 3. We bought it to watch Blu-Ray movies and it makes our DVDs look a lot better! But it wouldn't play some of the newer BluRay movies. We had to update it. I don't think you would ever need to update it just to play DVDs. But you might buy a BluRay movie and it won't work. And if you ever sign up for Netflix you will need to be connected to the internet.

So I recommend getting a wireless router and setting up wireless in your house. You might eventually get an iPad or Nook or some kind of tablet or netbook. Or a Roku player. So many possiblities.

gardenman1336257496.44317170 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey
On 5/5/2012 glb613 said:

How are you going to see the menu on the Blu-ray player if it's only connected to the modem? It needs the TV to see what you're doing.

Most modern computer monitors also have one or more HDMI inputs, so since the DSL modem is with the computer it wouldn't be hard to plug the Blu-ray player into the computer monitor to access the menu if there wasn't a TV in the area.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

glb6131336258818.6611138 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/5/2012 gardenman said:
On 5/5/2012 glb613 said:

Most modern computer monitors also have one or more HDMI inputs, so since the DSL modem is with the computer it wouldn't be hard to plug the Blu-ray player into the computer monitor to access the menu if there wasn't a TV in the area.

That's fine if your monitor has a HDMI port. It's also fine if you're tech savvy. If you read the original post, the OP isn't. The best thing to do is connect the Blu-ray player to the modem and a TV at the same time. Get into the menu, scroll to network and update the firmware. Unless the OP is familiar with scrolling through menus (which she/he probably isn't if their TVs were old), that might be too much. Perhaps when we hear back from the OP, we'll get a better idea how to help.

luvsbulldo­gs1336321064.682153 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi Everyone........first off I would like to thank all of you for your help. I pretty much understood what was said here and I think we will keep the Sony one that needs the wireless router. From what I undrstand I need this to update the Blue Ray box. I also learned from this thread that the Blue Ray will make the movies look a lot better on the HD TV's. Our daughter has a friend who is a computer technician and we are going to see if she will install the router. I would like to know if she will be able to figure out how to make the Blue Ray work or update. From what glb613 said I might have a difficult time scrolling through the Blue Ray player. Do you think that it would be too difficult for someone that has never done this before? I have set up TV's in the past and did scrolling for the set-up........would it be similar to that? One more question..........glb613 mentioned that there are other players out there that do not require internet apps......would they be Blue Ray players? Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

glb6131336335212.1711138 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Have you scrolled through a menu? You change the input to the TV to the connection with the DVD player. It would be HDMI1, HDMI2, Component, etc. depending on the type of cable you used. Once you have the input set on the DVD's connection, use the Blu-ray players remote to select menu and scroll to update. It's a matter of using the arrow buttons on the remote to find what you want.

If you've never done this before, you may need someone to help you. HDTVs and Blu-ray players don't work like old tube style TVs and VCRs.

Last edited on 5/6/2012

Last edited on 5/6/2012

opryland1336337524.447130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010

Can you use a blue ray player with a recording feature to record from a DVR?

gardenman1336341212.79717170 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey
On 5/6/2012 opryland said:

Can you use a blue ray player with a recording feature to record from a DVR?

I haven't seen a commercially available stand-alone blu-ray recorder. There are blu-ray burners that you can install in a computer but I haven't seen a stand-alone one made for home video use. Even if there was one, chances are there would be copy protection issues. I use my home computer as a DVR and there have been some programs that I've recorded onto the computer that I can't burn onto a DVD due to copy protection. Everything is digital anymore and there are times the provider of the material will make it so you can't copy it.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

luvsbulldo­gs1336343573.922153 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/6/2012 glb613 said:

Have you scrolled through a menu? You change the input to the TV to the connection with the DVD player. It would be HDMI1, HDMI2, Component, etc. depending on the type of cable you used. Once you have the input set on the DVD's connection, use the Blu-ray players remote to select menu and scroll to update. It's a matter of using the arrow buttons on the remote to find what you want.

If you've never done this before, you may need someone to help you. HDTVs and Blu-ray players don't work like old tube style TVs and VCRs.

Last edited on 5/6/2012

Thank you. I just have to go to the Blue Ray player as if I were to watch a movie and then click on it using the TV remote and then use the Blue Ray remote to make my choices for example update firmware or view. If this is so then I am thinking that I can do it. Perhaps our daughters friend who is the technician might be able to guide me if need be. I guess it is worth a try. Thanks again for all of your help. Did you mention that I could purchase a Blue Ray player that does not have Internet Apps or would it just be a regular DVD player? You are correct........our DSL is not fast enough to stream. I checked with a neighbor.

Last edited on 5/7/2012

Last edited on 5/7/2012

Page 1 of 1