WEN by Chaz Dean
16 Members and 9713 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Gateway laptop?

Started 1330266735.75 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1330942026.193 by lovestoteach

Does anyone have any information regarding the quad core Gateway 17.3 laptop? Thanks

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

Page 1 of 1
T731330269253.9132 PostsRegistered 2/26/2012

I just ordered it, if it's the same one you're talking about. I wasn't looking for a laptop, but had a few problems with mine yesterday, and started looking last night. I've spent all morning comparing specs and looking at the various sites and circulas.

I found some less expensive laptops, but this one had a better processor. I actually found one with the same processor, a larger hard drive, and slightly longer battery life, but the value pays and beautiful red color won out. The software that comes with it seems okay, and the the laptop appears to be very thin. I also bought the bag, which was also on 2 value pays.

I'm looking forward to receiving the laptop in the next few days. I wish I had paid more attention a few days ago when another laptop was one, but the great thing is if I don't like it, I can always send it back.

Good luck to you!

T7313302695742 PostsRegistered 2/26/2012

I forgot to say that the hard drive is not a large as I wanted, but that's probably how they keep the cost down. I wanted at least 500 GB, but I have a few external hard drives and high capacity flash drives. I just won't clog up the memory with all of my photos, music and videos. I'll put most of that stuff on external drives.

lovestotea­ch1330269633.00714373 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

T 73 -- my thoughts, too. BTW -- I purchased the "full" microsoft office software, due to the needs of my schoolwork. I think the one that comes with ads doesn't have exel, but it does read incoming spreadsheets. Don't know if this is important to you or not. We also run Norton 360, but having the laptop come in as with a trial program is nice, too. Hoping for good luck here. The info said it could be upgraded to 8GB, but I didn't check on that.

ETA: good idea about using the external hard drives

Last edited on 2/26/2012

Last edited on 2/26/2012

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

nutmeg31330276136.984665 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 2/26/2012 lovestoteach said:

T 73 -- my thoughts, too. BTW -- I purchased the "full" microsoft office software, due to the needs of my schoolwork. I think the one that comes with ads doesn't have exel, but it does read incoming spreadsheets. Don't know if this is important to you or not. We also run Norton 360, but having the laptop come in as with a trial program is nice, too. Hoping for good luck here. The info said it could be upgraded to 8GB, but I didn't check on that.

ETA: good idea about using the external hard drives

Last edited on 2/26/2012


I found two 17" gateway computers http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/LX.WZL02.005

These two computers have Intel processors, and 750GB HD. You should also look at Acer computers. You can start at the company web site.

chickenbutt1330277283.91723545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Personally, I would avoid that brand and I would avoid buying a computer from ANY shopping channel even harder.

I'm sure you can find something better for less out there in non-tv shopping land. :)

Don't let them sell you on the bazillion dollars 'worth' of 'free' software. That's all f*luff and it's usually all stuff you can get for free anyway or trial period.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

betteb1330307316.33316063 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

I like Gateway and have always had good luck with them. Even though I don't need one, that TS over there is very tempting. I have been trying to avoid looking at it all day{#emotions_dlg.blush}

,
"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;" Wordsworth

ALTECHNET1330331531.95725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

No issues buying the laptop form QVC, HSN or ShopNBC than buying it anywhere else. These 3 get better deals and bundles. You pay $100 bucks more but you get service. This deal isn't that create because the Quad Core is slower not a true 2.0GHZ Runs slower at 1.5GHZ and boy you'll notice it. Quad core no better than Dual core and that's why dual core is faster for now. These laptops are being phased out for the thinner more faster laptops with faster CPU much longer life battery USB 3.0 support, 3D and more. They're slowly appearing now HP has one the rest will follow.

Min today for a laptop is thin, longer life battery, 6 to 8GB of RAM 500 to 1TB HD you don't want 320GB after evertyhing is loaded it's around 250GB or less.

Before you ever by any laptop look up the CPU and see how well it does? But this one is slower though.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

nutmeg31330359370.2374665 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 2/27/2012 ALTECHNET said:

No issues buying the laptop form QVC, HSN or ShopNBC than buying it anywhere else. These 3 get better deals and bundles. You pay $100 bucks more but you get service. This deal isn't that create because the Quad Core is slower not a true 2.0GHZ Runs slower at 1.5GHZ and boy you'll notice it. Quad core no better than Dual core and that's why dual core is faster for now. These laptops are being phased out for the thinner more faster laptops with faster CPU much longer life battery USB 3.0 support, 3D and more. They're slowly appearing now HP has one the rest will follow.

Min today for a laptop is thin, longer life battery, 6 to 8GB of RAM 500 to 1TB HD you don't want 320GB after evertyhing is loaded it's around 250GB or less.

Before you ever by any laptop look up the CPU and see how well it does? But this one is slower though.

I would never buy a computer from a shopping channel just for good service. I want a great price, new technology, and good service. I shop mostly at Amazon.com.


MartieHugs1330361093.413111 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My current computer is a Lenovo (formerly IBM) that I bought from QVC in 2008. It works just fine, does everything I need it to do and then some. The only reason I'm considering another, newer one at this point is because it's a bit big & heavy (17") and I'd like something a little smaller, lighter. I had one small problem after I got it and was directed to dedicated QVC-Lenovo CS who handled it in a heartbeat.

I've had Gateway computers in that past - never a problem and ACERs for business. Again, no problems. I am fortunate that I have good "tech support" types who can walk me through the things my addled brain can't figure out. I'm from the school that believes "DEL" is at the end of a pencil.

pupcakes1330833390.1821277 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I am on a Gateway now and love it. My daughter has two Gateways, a desktop & a laptop. My GD has a HP that wasn't cheap ($1200) and has been in the shop twice since 2009. This is more than I need as I only check email and surf the web. Does Acer make Gateway as it's name is on the box. I love my Gateway!

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

ALTECHNET1330835857.31725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA
On 2/27/2012 nutmeg3 said:
On 2/27/2012 ALTECHNET said:

No issues buying the laptop form QVC, HSN or ShopNBC than buying it anywhere else. These 3 get better deals and bundles. You pay $100 bucks more but you get service. This deal isn't that create because the Quad Core is slower not a true 2.0GHZ Runs slower at 1.5GHZ and boy you'll notice it. Quad core no better than Dual core and that's why dual core is faster for now. These laptops are being phased out for the thinner more faster laptops with faster CPU much longer life battery USB 3.0 support, 3D and more. They're slowly appearing now HP has one the rest will follow.

Min today for a laptop is thin, longer life battery, 6 to 8GB of RAM 500 to 1TB HD you don't want 320GB after evertyhing is loaded it's around 250GB or less.

Before you ever by any laptop look up the CPU and see how well it does? But this one is slower though.

I would never buy a computer from a shopping channel just for good service. I want a great price, new technology, and good service. I shop mostly at Amazon.com.

Doesn't matter where you buy them from they come from the same factory and sold all over. I have purchased about 2x off HSN no issues. 1x off Amazon no issues. Costco, BJs or Samsclub I won't. Online TV shopping for electronics is much better today than prior years.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

nutmeg31330874167.724665 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 3/3/2012 ALTECHNET said:
On 2/27/2012 nutmeg3 said:
On 2/27/2012 ALTECHNET said:

No issues buying the laptop form QVC, HSN or ShopNBC than buying it anywhere else. These 3 get better deals and bundles. You pay $100 bucks more but you get service. This deal isn't that create because the Quad Core is slower not a true 2.0GHZ Runs slower at 1.5GHZ and boy you'll notice it. Quad core no better than Dual core and that's why dual core is faster for now. These laptops are being phased out for the thinner more faster laptops with faster CPU much longer life battery USB 3.0 support, 3D and more. They're slowly appearing now HP has one the rest will follow.

Min today for a laptop is thin, longer life battery, 6 to 8GB of RAM 500 to 1TB HD you don't want 320GB after evertyhing is loaded it's around 250GB or less.

Before you ever by any laptop look up the CPU and see how well it does? But this one is slower though.

I would never buy a computer from a shopping channel just for good service. I want a great price, new technology, and good service. I shop mostly at Amazon.com.

Doesn't matter where you buy them from they come from the same factory and sold all over. I have purchased about 2x off HSN no issues. 1x off Amazon no issues. Costco, BJs or Samsclub I won't. Online TV shopping for electronics is much better today than prior years.

I noticed Acer,and Gateway,and do not have a customer help forum on their web sites. If you have a minor tech problem, you have to call tech support. If you are not in warranty,service can be $99.00.

icezeus1330882179.064384 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

My next computer will be an ACER. My first computer was a Dell desktop(cream color) that I had for about 8 years no problems. About five years ago, since I had enjoyed my previous Dell. I upgraded to a Dell Inspiron laptop. (Nothing but problems)

About two years ago my brother purchased an Acer Desktop for his business. (A who?) I thought at the time. He has had not one problem with his.

ALTECHNET1330928687.843725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA
On 3/4/2012 nutmeg3 said:
On 3/3/2012 ALTECHNET said:
On 2/27/2012 nutmeg3 said:
On 2/27/2012 ALTECHNET said:

No issues buying the laptop form QVC, HSN or ShopNBC than buying it anywhere else. These 3 get better deals and bundles. You pay $100 bucks more but you get service. This deal isn't that create because the Quad Core is slower not a true 2.0GHZ Runs slower at 1.5GHZ and boy you'll notice it. Quad core no better than Dual core and that's why dual core is faster for now. These laptops are being phased out for the thinner more faster laptops with faster CPU much longer life battery USB 3.0 support, 3D and more. They're slowly appearing now HP has one the rest will follow.

Min today for a laptop is thin, longer life battery, 6 to 8GB of RAM 500 to 1TB HD you don't want 320GB after evertyhing is loaded it's around 250GB or less.

Before you ever by any laptop look up the CPU and see how well it does? But this one is slower though.

I would never buy a computer from a shopping channel just for good service. I want a great price, new technology, and good service. I shop mostly at Amazon.com.

Doesn't matter where you buy them from they come from the same factory and sold all over. I have purchased about 2x off HSN no issues. 1x off Amazon no issues. Costco, BJs or Samsclub I won't. Online TV shopping for electronics is much better today than prior years.

I noticed Acer,and Gateway,and do not have a customer help forum on their web sites. If you have a minor tech problem, you have to call tech support. If you are not in warranty,service can be $99.00.

I can repair it myself thanks..

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

lovestotea­ch1330942026.19314373 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Laptop technology is now "throw-away" technology, as far as I am concerned. It is expensive throw away technology, that is for sure. It would seem that the item is only as good as the components within and the person/people "sautering" them in place. The shell and it's markings don't seem to matter. That said, it helps if one knows enough about technology to know if the right components have been all "paired up." It also seems that the latest technolgy (netbooks for now) get the most caring attention from the factories. I ordered a relatively inexpensive laptop; but if I wanted a trustworthy powerhouse I'd go none other than Apple -- knowledgeable staff/technology support that wouldn't let you make a mistake buying crummy components thrown together in a shell.

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

Page 1 of 1