Just-Reduced Clearance
21 Members and 14215 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

What's the difference between an iPhone, Smart Phone, Android?

Started 1329889452.633 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1330561422.22 by mdmc
replies

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer phone, but it's kind of confusing with all the different phones on the market. Can anyone explain the difference?

Page 1 of 1
keri1329896103.6071911 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

With a plethora of smartphones (wireless devices that enable Web browsing, text messaging, multi-media, e-mail, apps, etc.) on the market, the basic difference lies in the Operating System (OS.)

The iPhone uses iOS, Apple's proprietary Operating System. Blackberry uses a proprietary OS developed by its manufacturer, Research In Motion. Other smartphones are Android, another type of OS, that's used by Motorola, LG, Samsung, Nokia, Ericsson, etc.

There are advantages and disadvantages/limitations to each. The key is deciding what you need and want in a smartphone and how much you're willing to pay for the wireless and often separate data plan.

There are several excellent Smartphone Buyer's Guide websites that fully explain the features and advantages that you're seeking to understand, among them:

http://www.geek.com/smartphone-buyers-guide/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/09/engadgets-smartphone-buyers-guide-winter-2011-edition/

http://smartphone-guide.com/

jasbel1329897268.1932424 PostsRegistered 10/21/2008

Real simply, a smart phone is category of phone that requires a data plan to enable the extra features. In addition to a talk and messaging you get web browsing and Aps. The iPhone and Android are both Smartphones and are competitors. It is personal preference. The confusing part is where the iPhone is called and iPhone, there are several models of Android phones from different manufacturers.

The question you need to ask yourself is it worth it to add an additional $30 (on average) based on your carrier (Verizon/ATT) to use a Smartphone. If the answer is yes, then go to your carrier's store and check out the iPhone/Android phones side by side.

I have an Android phone, mainly because I use Google Aps, which are tied into Android operating system. There are neat features like Google Maps that has free GPS built into it. Also my Gmail account is accessible and I can download my pictures to my Picasa account.

jackthebear1329914577.086224 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Great advice

Decide if you want to stay with your carrier and how much it will cost for a smartphone they all require internet/data which could jump up the cost.

I have an iPhone and just love it, and would not go back to android, but that is my preference

nutmeg31329922916.815269 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 2/22/2012 jasbel said:

Real simply, a smart phone is category of phone that requires a data plan to enable the extra features. In addition to a talk and messaging you get web browsing and Aps. The iPhone and Android are both Smartphones and are competitors. It is personal preference. The confusing part is where the iPhone is called and iPhone, there are several models of Android phones from different manufacturers.

The question you need to ask yourself is it worth it to add an additional $30 (on average) based on your carrier (Verizon/ATT) to use a Smartphone. If the answer is yes, then go to your carrier's store and check out the iPhone/Android phones side by side.

I have an Android phone, mainly because I use Google Aps, which are tied into Android operating system. There are neat features like Google Maps that has free GPS built into it. Also my Gmail account is accessible and I can download my pictures to my Picasa account.

I would go to the phone companies site, and look over the phones being sold. You then may want to view video of the phone(s) on youTube. I then would go to a store.

bonnielu1330387087.0475908 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I have an Android smartphone (Sprint network). My daugher has an IPhone (also Sprint). My apps are free for what we both want. Hers are not. I have an awesome app for navigation (free). I also have a personal assistant (free) and it goes on and on. She pays for hers, one by one. I love my "market" choices and I love my Samsung Galaxy phone. I would not switch from Android to IPhone. She wishes she made the choice for Android.

jackthebear1330546083.1636224 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Bonnie there are plenty of free iPhone apps. I'd never pay for any either android or iphone

she should get the "appsgonefree" app

floshedunno1330548901.3163 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I have a Tracfone plan with an LG phone that features internet access, however, it does not operate off of the android network. When I do access the internet it subtracts minutes from my prepaid balance in the same manner as minutes are subtracted for texts and phone calls, so there is no separate data plan. Tracfone refers to this phone as a "smartphone". So what is the difference between my phone and the other phones that have been mentioned above?

mdmc1330561422.221663 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007West Coast
On 2/27/2012 bonnielu said:

I have an Android smartphone (Sprint network). My daugher has an IPhone (also Sprint). My apps are free for what we both want. Hers are not. I have an awesome app for navigation (free). I also have a personal assistant (free) and it goes on and on. She pays for hers, one by one. I love my "market" choices and I love my Samsung Galaxy phone. I would not switch from Android to IPhone. She wishes she made the choice for Android.

I agree with jackthebear. The apps that are free on andriod are pretty much free for IPhone. I personally think the IPhone is more user friendly. Unfortunately the sales people at the phone stores push the android phones because they get paid more.

Page 1 of 1