TSV(R) Preview
14 Members and 13857 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

New Dell Laptop buffers streaming video too much! Help!

Started 1328242464.07 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1335465123.433 by 4uthebest

I received my Dell Inspiron M5110 2 days ago -- quad processor, 6GB memory, etc. Yesterday I spent 3+ hours on the phone to the QVC-dedicated Dell Tech support. Here is my issue: streaming video is buffering way too much. The techs took control over my laptop, changed my browser from IE9 to IE8; loaded Microsoft SilverLight, and played with all kinds of settings..nothing worked. Even tried Google Chrome. I talked to one tech for over 2 hrs, then his supervisor. Then we got my ISP on the line (I knew this was not the problem) They could not help me. The Dell techs kept blaming my ISP (yet I have no problem on my other laptop!). In fact, the last guy tried to explain to me that "here in India we have problems with our providers...".blah blah blah". Really now.

My old, cheap Acer, with much less memory and a dual core processor, has no problems with media streaming. I have the laptops right next to each other, in the same room with my wireless router. Why does my old laptop have no problem streaming and this new fancy one can't handle 2 seconds of video without having to Buffer? The Dell Tech didn't believe me so he took 'control' over my old computer, too, and saw--first hand--that the video didn't cut out on that computer.

There's a site I frequently enjoy watching: phoebeallens.com. It's a live video feed of a hummingbird nest (now with 2 eggs). This computer can't handle it. It couldn't handle YouTube videos either.

This is the last chance.This laptop is going back if I don't get a resolution soon. I wanted to upgrade my computer but this is not how I envisioned it going! Help!

Page 1 of 1
DrWilliamQ­VC1328246293.477119 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011

What brand is your router and how old is it?

JewelryIsM­yPassion1328262322.06617 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The problem could be your router. There are many articles that may be of help if you google the situation. It is possible that the band on your router although compatible with your older computer, it may not be compatible with your new computer. You may need to purchase a router that is compatible with both the old and the new.

English is my 4th language.

glb6131328264866.7210318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Since your other notebook doesn't buffer, it's not the internet connection. Here is what I want you to try. Download and install CCleaner. It's a great free program that can be used for several tasks. Once it's installed, open the program, go to tools found on the left, start up and disable every entry except your anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall(if running a third party program) and touch pad. You left click once on the entry then on the far right select disable. There is a list of the prgram names so you know what you are disabling. Once you have disabled 90% of the entries, reboot the computer. Go back to the video site and see if there is an improvement. Post back and let us know if this helps or not.

CCleaner

nutmeg31328266029.2774210 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

Did tech have you check the to make sure you had the latest driver for the wireless card? Did they have you connect your computer direct to the net with an ethernet cable?

I would try this, and check your router? I would send this computer back to Dell by UPS. I would not use the prepaid label thru the USPS. In my area, you do not get a tracking number without a paying for the package, and you do not want this computer lost in the mail.

I had to smile when you said you brought a "quad" core computer, and expected it to run well. The words "quad" is only a marketing tool. You have to look at raw numbers on a brenchmark list to get an idea how a CPU compares with other processors. You can do this for the graphics card or GPU as well.

I use a lists from a site called Notebookcheck.net to look at the numbers. Here is a review not too good. http://pcuser.com.au/reviews/dell/notebooks/2011/oct/inspiron-m5110

You can read reviews for computer at Staples, Newegg, and Best Buy.

Last edited on 2/3/2012

Last edited on 2/3/2012

gardenman1328272633.1615901 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I'll second the suggestion to try a direct connection using an ethernet cable to see if that solves the problem. A quad core processor with 6 gbs of RAM is way more than adequate to stream video. (My Nintendo Wii does a good job of streaming video and it's no where near that powerful.) I've got to agree that this is a router or ISP issue of some sort. I don't see it being a computer issue.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

glb6131328274028.70310318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/3/2012 gardenman said:

I'll second the suggestion to try a direct connection using an ethernet cable to see if that solves the problem. A quad core processor with 6 gbs of RAM is way more than adequate to stream video. (My Nintendo Wii does a good job of streaming video and it's no where near that powerful.) I've got to agree that this is a router or ISP issue of some sort. I don't see it being a computer issue.

Then explain how her other computer doesn't have the same problem?

robomo1328274160.6679192 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

It's a Dell - it's all about customer service in India.

Sorry that you're having this frustrating problem and I hope some of the smart peeps here can help you with it. We have some good ones here!

ALTECHNET1328282126.02725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

First off... What are you streaming?

Netflix

Amazon Prime

Hulu Plus

Youtube

What happens if you stream locally over your home WLAN insted of the internet WWAN?

On the WiFi NIC you can adjust the TX/RX Buffers also this can be done on the laptop using TCP Optimizer found on SpeedGuide.net http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php make sure you get the one for Windows 7. Make you know what your downloads and upload speeds are by mbps so you can make the correct adjustments.

Once you make these adjustments you should reboot your dell laptop. Now test and make sure everything is working correctly.

Also if your still having issues check your cable or dsl modem do a power recycle of them Also power recycle your WiFi Router.

If your still having issues send back the DELL to QVC since your under 30 days. Then wait for ACER Quad to appear on the other network or etc.. WiFi NIC could be faulty in the DELL? Only way to rule out all of this is to do the above. Good luck!

As for DELL Outsource Technical Support to India well they're just going by what they were train to do and by a script. I use to do the same think here USA but I never followed the script process for HP/Compaq.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

DrWilliamQ­VC1328300621.863119 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011
On 2/3/2012 glb613 said:

Since your other notebook doesn't buffer, it's not the internet connection. Here is what I want you to try. Download and install CCleaner. It's a great free program that can be used for several tasks. Once it's installed, open the program, go to tools found on the left, start up and disable every entry except your anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall(if running a third party program) and touch pad. You left click once on the entry then on the far right select disable. There is a list of the prgram names so you know what you are disabling. Once you have disabled 90% of the entries, reboot the computer. Go back to the video site and see if there is an improvement. Post back and let us know if this helps or not.

CCleaner

LOL, you don't need ccleaner on a brand new laptop. not even a thousand dollar one, not right away....even is this poster had all the backround programs running, it wouldn't make a difference, it's the router, upgrade it............ it may not be the internet connection but that is seperate from the router. the internet flows through the router, kinda like how a clog backs up your drain. her newer computer isn't compatible with the frequency range of the router....or there may be some security that needs adjusting, but they never stated anything, matter of fact, no one ever gives any detailed info on here....

ALTECHNET1328305817.2725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

OP said the worked prior with the older laptop so most system out of the box sync up well after you add the SSID and passcode. Unless the router is too old to handle HD Streaming @ 1080p.

To test this fact set your Youtube to 360p, 480p, 720p if all 3 work then try 1080p. Now at this point it much bottleneck (hose down, sugglish audio or video or both out of sync) To fix this some run out and buy a new faster expensive router then learn the issue still there.

Upgrading the firmware on both router and laptop bios should be considered. All drivers for WiFi. These are extra steps you can take.

Also YT is going through a system wide restructing so things might not sync right. Netflix has some issues with audio and sync too. But should be squared away.

Really this hasn't been mention take that new laptop friends house or somewhere has free WiFi and test to see how it works over there. If it works then you know it's the Router or DSL or Cable modem at fault?

JewelryIsM­yPassion1328311385.607617 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I would return the computer based on the customer service, who in the world has hours to spend on the phone. Had this been a Toshiba they would have sent you a box via FedEx to return the unit to them, recreate the problem at their depot, replace parts, update BIOS and drivers and return the computer with a cheat sheet that would include router info.

As said before, you probably need a new router if the one you own is as old as your older computer.

Good luck dealing with Dell.

English is my 4th language.

beechy1328406498.307262 PostsRegistered 1/24/2010

When you tell someone to update the bios on the computer you should also explain it a little. Please tell them the possible hazards of updating the bios, especially to a possible nontechie sort of person. If you try to update the bios and something goes wrong you could possibly end up with a new doorstop, also known as a brick. Meaning you've ruined your computer. It's best to let someone who has some knowledge of computers to do it.

ALTECHNET1328427019.66725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA
On 2/4/2012 beechy said:

When you tell someone to update the bios on the computer you should also explain it a little. Please tell them the possible hazards of updating the bios, especially to a possible nontechie sort of person. If you try to update the bios and something goes wrong you could possibly end up with a new doorstop, also known as a brick. Meaning you've ruined your computer. It's best to let someone who has some knowledge of computers to do it.

I've done this many times over 15 years. True what you say BIOS updating in the past was done through DOS. Later on in the 2xxx you could do it from Windows, but in your case if you just got this send it back to QVC, unless you want DELL to fix it they're suppose to send you a certified DELL authorized tech to your home or business. If they can't? They'll send you to the nearest Dell service center? Today the only option would be to send that unit back to Texas or NC?

glb6131328437639.17710318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Not one person offering advice to update or replace the router has explained why her older computer can stream the same video using the same router and doesn't have any problems.

e-marie1335215289.571 PostsRegistered 4/23/2012

Yesterday , 4/22/12 I ordered the dell 15.6 notebook for 739.96. It is a " i3 " I just found out what that means. The latest dells are " i7 " I am getting an old computer that QVC buy's from Dell to sell on TV. They never tell you that you are not buying the latest model, but an old model that they need to sell to make room for the newer models. I am trying to decide what to do. Costco, Staples and Best Buy have newer models at the same price point. and Costco stands behind their merchandise alot better than QVC. Can anyone give me advice on what to do? Does an older computer make a difference on how long it will last? HELP

El

On 2/2/2012 FAITH Rider said:

I received my Dell Inspiron M5110 2 days ago -- quad processor, 6GB memory, etc. Yesterday I spent 3+ hours on the phone to the QVC-dedicated Dell Tech support. Here is my issue: streaming video is buffering way too much. The techs took control over my laptop, changed my browser from IE9 to IE8; loaded Microsoft SilverLight, and played with all kinds of settings..nothing worked. Even tried Google Chrome. I talked to one tech for over 2 hrs, then his supervisor. Then we got my ISP on the line (I knew this was not the problem) They could not help me. The Dell techs kept blaming my ISP (yet I have no problem on my other laptop!). In fact, the last guy tried to explain to me that "here in India we have problems with our providers...".blah blah blah". Really now.

My old, cheap Acer, with much less memory and a dual core processor, has no problems with media streaming. I have the laptops right next to each other, in the same room with my wireless router. Why does my old laptop have no problem streaming and this new fancy one can't handle 2 seconds of video without having to Buffer? The Dell Tech didn't believe me so he took 'control' over my old computer, too, and saw--first hand--that the video didn't cut out on that computer.

There's a site I frequently enjoy watching: phoebeallens.com. It's a live video feed of a hummingbird nest (now with 2 eggs). This computer can't handle it. It couldn't handle YouTube videos either.

This is the last chance.This laptop is going back if I don't get a resolution soon. I wanted to upgrade my computer but this is not how I envisioned it going! Help!

nutmeg31335225541.8274210 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 4/23/2012 e-marie said:

Most people do not need a intel i7 processor in a computer. An i5 well do fine. A i3 computer will last as long as an i7, but not do tasks as quickly.

You should call CS, and see if you can cancel your order for the computer. If you can not then receive the computer, and return it to QVC either UPS or USPS full insurance and a tracking number.

I would go to your local Costco, and buy.

Last edited on 4/23/2012

Last edited on 4/23/2012

Last edited on 4/23/2012

Citychic1335336029.16606 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010
On 2/3/2012 DrWilliamQVC said:
On 2/3/2012 glb613 said:

CCleaner

LOL, you don't need ccleaner on a brand new laptop. not even a thousand dollar one, not right away....even is this poster had all the backround programs running, it wouldn't make a difference, it's the router, upgrade it............ it may not be the internet connection but that is seperate from the router. the internet flows through the router, kinda like how a clog backs up your drain. her newer computer isn't compatible with the frequency range of the router....or there may be some security that needs adjusting, but they never stated anything, matter of fact, no one ever gives any detailed info on here....

Well, as someone who troubleshoots issues ad nauseum, one can never have too much information when trying to resolve issues... Not sure they understand what all they need to say, have to coach em a bit... The Doctors I work for now know they better have a list of everything I seem to ask them everytime, and darn if things don't go much quicker that way. Getting them trained up!!

City

glb6131335344973.62310318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I stand by what I posted. I don't know if the OP tried any of the advice because there was never a follow-up post.

I hope she/he didn't pay someone to fix her computer. Too many people pay "half the value" of a new computer to fix what they can do for free.

Last edited on 4/25/2012

Last edited on 4/25/2012

chickenbutt1335375274.22722626 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

We might have our disagreements, but I would listen to GLB over some of the other things I've seen posted here as advice. She gives good, clean, common sense advice that will help you. CCleaner is profoundly helpful whether the computer is right out of the box or you've had it for years.

To say that the problem is the router, when other computer in the network don't have the same problem, makes no sense at all.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

4uthebest1335383891.843516 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/25/2012 chickenbutt said:

We might have our disagreements, but I would listen to GLB over some of the other things I've seen posted here as advice. She gives good, clean, common sense advice that will help you. CCleaner is profoundly helpful whether the computer is right out of the box or you've had it for years.

To say that the problem is the router, when other computer in the network don't have the same problem, makes no sense at all.

In addition, components today are as a general rule "backwards" compatible so it is hard to imagine a new computer could not work with an older router.

What seems to be ridiculous in my opinion is purchasing a new computer from people such as Dell and out of the box it is filled with so much junk that it cannot stream simple videos. Being it is a new computer and a laptop, I would take it to a friends house and see how it does on their router. Short of that, I would rather strongly request a new machine as it sure seems like there are hardware issues rather than an abundance of superfluous applications.

glb6131335436752.1410318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We've had disagreements? I don't remember having anything significant. I hope we haven't.

Anyway, I get into msconfig or use the startup feature with CCleaner with all of my new computers. I'm amazed at how many programs are in the startup group right out of the box. The most I've seen has been 20. Every program installed puts an entry and runs in the background sharing resources. If you have a budget notebook/desktop without a lot of RAM, it will effect the performance. The quality of streaming video is more than just the internet or router speed. It's also effected by your computer. The fact other computers using the same home setup are fine means it is that computer having the problem.

Problem solving is a process of elimination. Clearing out unneeded programs in the startup group is just one step. If that doesn't solve the problem, you go to the next potential cause.

4uthebest1335449198.1773516 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/26/2012 glb613 said:

We've had disagreements? I don't remember having anything significant. I hope we haven't.

Anyway, I get into msconfig or use the startup feature with CCleaner with all of my new computers. I'm amazed at how many programs are in the startup group right out of the box. The most I've seen has been 20. Every program installed puts an entry and runs in the background sharing resources. If you have a budget notebook/desktop without a lot of RAM, it will effect the performance. The quality of streaming video is more than just the internet or router speed. It's also effected by your computer. The fact other computers using the same home setup are fine means it is that computer having the problem.

Problem solving is a process of elimination. Clearing out unneeded programs in the startup group is just one step. If that doesn't solve the problem, you go to the next potential cause.

CCleaner indeed is a good software application, but the computer we are talking about here is FAR from one without a capable processor and ample ram. Again it is IMHO sheer lunacy to think that a computer from Dell with 6 GB of RAM and i3 processor out of the box cannot stream video. If that is the case it would be happening for everyone and I have not seen such complaints YET. First I would connect via ethernet and see what happens. Then I would go to a friend/neighbor's that uses a wireless router and if the same happens you can rule out your router and point towards some other issue. If there is a problem and Dell see's it as you indicated on the early posting, then get the crazy thing replaced at THEIR cost as you have a Grapefruit.

glb6131335449733.13310318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If the OP isn't happy with its performance, send it back and buy something that works.

gardenman1335452734.84715901 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Let me just point out that this is a nearly three month old thread now, so I'm pretty sure the OP resolved the situation to their satisfaction. To the best of my knowledge they've never come back, so I'm guessing they worked things out on their own.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

4uthebest1335465123.4333516 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/26/2012 gardenman said:

Let me just point out that this is a nearly three month old thread now, so I'm pretty sure the OP resolved the situation to their satisfaction. To the best of my knowledge they've never come back, so I'm guessing they worked things out on their own.

Boy are you the observant one.. I hope advice given can help someone that may have a CURRENT problem.. thanks for that as I sure missed it..{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 1