TSV(R) Preview
90 Members and 16479 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

how to block a caller from texting and calling cell phone

Started 1326404008.373 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1326820609.973 by depglass

Hi everyone..I need some help for my daughter..she has been receiving some mean & nasty text messages from a person who she used to chat with on facebook and unfortunately gave this person her cell phone number..she has un-friended this person on f/b and now she is receiving mean text messages..how do you block this person/number from calling or texting? I have not looked at the instructions yet for the phone but it is an LG pre-paid cell phone-got it from the "southern channel" lasy year.Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

-Well behaved women rarely make history-

Page 1 of 2
irish mama1326404592.0234492 PostsRegistered 5/10/2007

I have blocked people before I call my phone carrier and give them the number and it is blocked . I have Verizon

You can also go on line but it is complicated.

If your phone is pre-paid do you have a provider

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

shopping g­al1326404965.91216 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006Wisconsin
On 1/12/2012 irish mama said:

I have blocked people before I call my phone carrier and give them the number and it is blocked . I have Verizon

You can also go on line but it is complicated.

If your phone is pre-paid do you have a provider

Last edited on 1/12/2012

hi irish mama..thank you for your reply and all I know is the phone is an LG trac phone..so would I contact tracphone?

-Well behaved women rarely make history-

irish mama1326405142.414492 PostsRegistered 5/10/2007
On 1/12/2012 shopping gal said:
On 1/12/2012 irish mama said:

I have blocked people before I call my phone carrier and give them the number and it is blocked . I have Verizon

You can also go on line but it is complicated.

If your phone is pre-paid do you have a provider

Last edited on 1/12/2012

hi irish mama..thank you for your reply and all I know is the phone is an LG trac phone..so would I contact tracphone?

If you have a number for trac phone I would call and start there. Once the # is blocked nothing can go through.

shopping g­al1326405307.003216 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006Wisconsin
On 1/12/2012 irish mama said:
On 1/12/2012 shopping gal said:
On 1/12/2012 irish mama said:

I have blocked people before I call my phone carrier and give them the number and it is blocked . I have Verizon

You can also go on line but it is complicated.

If your phone is pre-paid do you have a provider

Last edited on 1/12/2012

hi irish mama..thank you for your reply and all I know is the phone is an LG trac phone..so would I contact tracphone?

If you have a number for trac phone I would call and start there. Once the # is blocked nothing can go through.

ok thank you irish mama..I will contact tracfone and have them help us..and thank you for ur replies..I appreciate it and take care!

-Well behaved women rarely make history-

DrWilliamQ­VC1326412922.627119 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011

You cannot call tracphone and have them block an individual number, they don't do it. Too bad you don't have a blackberry, easily done inside the firewall......

knmt1326416399.797691 PostsRegistered 7/13/2010Chicago suburbs

According to the Tracphone site, you cannot block callers, but can change the phone number:

http://www.tracfoneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6184&t=166440&p=382743&hilit=block+number#p382743

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Ellie07141326416661.8531791 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern California

for verizon, there is charge to block a number. i believe it s $4.95 per month. You can set it up online. Under my Verizon.

Ellie

Kindaglitzy1326416848.1874359 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If it's that bad, I would have the phone number changed.

bethmarla1326430069.92379 PostsRegistered 8/23/2011

Verizon does NOT charge to block a number, I have numbers blocked and it's free.

DrWilliamQ­VC1326438961.927119 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011
On 1/12/2012 bethmarla said:

Verizon does NOT charge to block a number, I have numbers blocked and it's free.

yes they do, they don't charge per individual number but they do charge for a service called usage controls, check your bill, you've been getting charged 5 bux a month for it.

bethmarla1326439186.90779 PostsRegistered 8/23/2011

No, I have not been charged and I called and asked and they told me there is not a charge on my plan to block this number. I have Verizon for 4 years and have never been charged.

TX-starlig­ht1326445665.4274550 PostsRegistered 2/8/2010
On 1/13/2012 DrWilliamQVC said:
On 1/12/2012 bethmarla said:

Verizon does NOT charge to block a number, I have numbers blocked and it's free.

yes they do, they don't charge per individual number but they do charge for a service called usage controls, check your bill, you've been getting charged 5 bux a month for it.

I know they used to charge extra per month for any extra features(call waiting,block calls,fwd calling, CID, etc). Unless you are on "bundle plan", I wouls be willing to bet you will be charged. Verizon is very high for extra services.

To OP, I would check into "harrassment" procedures with your phone service.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

kitkom1326454508.4675646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Verizon DOES NOT charge for blocking numbers!!! They allow you up to 5 then I guess you have to pay. I have an app. (free) that allows me to block the peddlers that have found my cell phone number.

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

curlywhite­dog1326459254.2436366 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ
On 1/12/2012 Ellie0714 said:

for verizon, there is charge to block a number. i believe it s $4.95 per month. You can set it up online. Under my Verizon.

Ellie

Hi Ellie:

You should not be paying anything for blocking a number on your cell phone, let alone a monthly one, so if you're being charged by Verizon for blocking a number you should call them to find out why. I have Verizon as a cell carrier and have at least a half a dozen numbers blocked and was never charged for any of them. I don't pay one cent for that service, not one cent.

Hope this helps you get out from under those additional costs, if there's one thing we don't need it's more charges to our bills than we already pay.

Maria

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

shopping g­al1326465050.933216 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006Wisconsin

Thanks to everyone for your replies I do appreciate it and I have always known that this forum is a good place to go to for help and advice.I will contact tracfone to try and change my daiughter's cell phone number.Thanks again!

-Well behaved women rarely make history-

bonnielu1326465788.1635533 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

You probably need to change the phone number. She can always tell her legit contacts her new number.

I am so protective of my number... I can only imagine how it feels to be annoyed by someone.

With my service, I can pay or not pay for text messages. Is that possible to block all texts for a short period of time just to get this person to give up.

shopping g­al1326466808.587216 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006Wisconsin
On 1/13/2012 bonnielu said:

You probably need to change the phone number. She can always tell her legit contacts her new number.

I am so protective of my number... I can only imagine how it feels to be annoyed by someone.

With my service, I can pay or not pay for text messages. Is that possible to block all texts for a short period of time just to get this person to give up.

Hi bonnielu..thanks for your reply..and I know what you mean about being protective of your phone number..my daughter has learned a lesson..not to give her number out to anyone except family and close friends..and I am going to contact tracfone to change her number..thanks again!

-Well behaved women rarely make history-

Irshgrl312­011326505943.86714048 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

I would let the person know if they don't stop contacting my daughter I would be filing harrassment charges against her immediately!

pepes mom1326514760.695246 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005SW PA

Don't delete those unwanted texts. Save them for evidence.

If the texts are completely inappropriate, I'd ask to speak with a local police officer due to harassment by communication.

~ Pepe's Mom ~

I'm cool toned. Yellow foundations make me look jaundiced. That is NOT the look I am going for.

ALTECHNET1326555625.263725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

There is Android app software that can block numbers on your phone but the number will ring once. Your smart phone may need to be rooted to use such an app depends on what you use. Like Norton Mobile Security has such a feature but you have to pay for such an app. The beta (free one) don't have that feature only the full version.

On your landline phone you can block calls by name or number or both. I've been doing that since 2003. You would need the following:

Caller ID service from your local bell

Caller ID Internal or External or USB modem (check Amazon)

PhoneTray Free v1.39 they're starting to charge for the Pro one. Best to grab the free one.

Very easy to use this software. What I do is this, I create AT&T True voice answering schemes so when the bad call comes in the message will play to them on the phone:

Hello the number your calling does not except calls from unknown, ann... private, toll free an etc. Cox Communcations (You can use Comcast) whoever you want to be played. Or you can use your own voice I don't recommend it! Or you can send sid tones that will disrupt the computer caller system.

Last edited on 1/14/2012

Last edited on 1/14/2012

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

Q2girl1326556105.281555 PostsRegistered 1/3/2012

I do it online at the phone company I use.

ALTECHNET1326556837.717725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

Yes phone companies have this service if you use their voicemail service. I don't use that service I tell them to turn it off. I am on VOIP = voice over ip (network) I can't block calls with my PC (stays on 24/7) also have a battery backup so if there is power failure it won't shutdown. Using a landline phone you can have a PC setup to tell you there is a call from UNKNOWN AT UNKNOWN NUMBER or 111111 at 111111 stuff like that. Or you can have RED ALERT from Star Trek go off. After that you get crazy. So it's blank. The computer logs calls you get a log and a trace feature. Local bell going to be limited. PC can be your guy or girl friday she or he can handle all your callers.

Last edited on 1/14/2012

Last edited on 1/14/2012

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

shopping g­al1326557273.687216 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006Wisconsin

Thanks again everyone for all your replies..it's much appreciated and as I stated before in a previous post..it's a lesson well learned..protect your phone number.Thanks again!

-Well behaved women rarely make history-

lasqig1326629673.75713 PostsRegistered 12/21/2011

I use to sell contract phones at Walmart back in 2003-2005. I haven't been in the game since then, but I would say your best bet is to change your number.

It might cost a small amount, but it is a LOT easier than trying to contact Tracfone.

They outsource their call centers and they can be rude or hard to get a hold of.

Even if you can block numbers on the phone you still might get charged for getting text messages.

I hope this helps and good luck.

p.s. Make sure to save any harmfull messages, in case you have to get the law involved.

lasqig1326629674.67313 PostsRegistered 12/21/2011

I use to sell contract phones at Walmart back in 2003-2005. I haven't been in the game since then, but I would say your best bet is to change your number.

It might cost a small amount, but it is a LOT easier than trying to contact Tracfone.

They outsource their call centers and they can be rude or hard to get a hold of.

Even if you can block numbers on the phone you still might get charged for getting text messages.

I hope this helps and good luck.

p.s. Make sure to save any harmfull messages, in case you have to get the law involved.

Page 1 of 2