Handbag Clearance
91 Members and 13231 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Returning computer to QVC-need suggestions

Started 1325046251.66 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1325094823.563 by Dawn007

I am returning a computer I recently purchased from QVC. Before I do so, I need suggestions on what should be done before I return it. I removed all files I saved, but is there any other "security" things I should do? I am not sure what QVC does with the computers when we return them. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
hugsandkis­ses1325048459.591226 PostsRegistered 5/1/2007

Hi, I am not a techi by any means (honestly need PC help myself LOL) but I believe you need to clear out yr. "Cookies" from the hard drive so as not to leave a trail of your searches and personal info.

I am sure eventually someone with the right knowledge will help you out here or google it while you wait....for assistance.

Good luck !

"Sometimes good things fall apart so that Better Things can fall together"

nutmeg31325049507.8274223 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

You can do a PC-restore to set the computer back to its original setting out of the box. This will wipe you data from the hard drive.

HP:

Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the F11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.
Dell

Here are the recovery instructions from Dell.

1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
2. The Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up.
3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

I would not use the pre-paid label to send back a computer. I would login in to my account and copy,paste the return address into MS word, and print . I would then take my packages to my local UPS. I would insure for full value. I would want to track this item in route to QVC. My biggest concern would be having a package lost in the system, and the charge is on my credit card.

You can go to UPS.com and get an estimate of shipping costs, and insurance.

Last edited on 12/27/2011

Last edited on 12/27/2011

periwinkle1325050351.01749 PostsRegistered 8/12/2005

If you check the QVC return policy, the pre-paid return label includes insurance and tracking. I would call customer service to make sure it is full insurance coverage for the cost of the computer.

nutmeg31325052454.9774223 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 12/27/2011 periwinkle said:

If you check the QVC return policy, the pre-paid return label includes insurance and tracking. I would call customer service to make sure it is full insurance coverage for the cost of the computer.

My local post office does not give a receipt for a package with a prepaid label. The person behind the counter told me I would have to pay to get a receipt. I am not going to be on the hook for $$$.

A Walker1325053038.2771220 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011
I don't know why the post office person told you that Nutmeg. Once they scan it, they print the scanned-in receipt for you. Today I returned an item with the prepaid sticker to the Q that wouldn't fit in the kiosk slot, and the guy behind the counter said, "Hold on. I have to scan this in and then give you a receipt for it." The receipt simply said the package was accepted for a prepaid label return along with the label number. Free. So I have no idea what your guy was talking about as I've never paid for a return scan receipt on prepaid labels. Last edited on 12/28/2011

Last edited on 12/28/2011

glb6131325071360.7110349 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If you must pay for a return receipt, do it. There was a post either here or on viewpoints from a woman who didn't get one, the computer never made it back to QVC and she was responsible for the payments.

It's hard to know what they do with the returned computers. Doing a factory restore may not get rid of all the data you put on there. It depends on whether the reinstall overwrites the files or not. The ones that aren't overwritten can be recovered using a recovery program like Recuva.

I own a program called WipeDrive that overwrites the hard drive with 1s and 0s multiple times making data recovery impossible. If you have the recovery DVD set, I'd wipe the drive then reinstall everything back to the factory condition. If the data isn't sensitive, a simply factory recovery may be enough.

Islandgirl­70321325072423.18312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
On 12/28/2011 A Walker said: I don't know why the post office person told you that Nutmeg. Once they scan it, they print the scanned-in receipt for you. Today I returned an item with the prepaid sticker to the Q that wouldn't fit in the kiosk slot, and the guy behind the counter said, "Hold on. I have to scan this in and then give you a receipt for it." The receipt simply said the package was accepted for a prepaid label return along with the label number. Free. So I have no idea what your guy was talking about as I've never paid for a return scan receipt on prepaid labels. Last edited on 12/28/2011

Sorry, but my P.O. is like nutmeg3's, no receipt for the prepaid label packages, since no money changes hands.

I've asked at multiple locations amd have spoken with supervisors, with the same response.

So I never use the labels, takes too long to get your refund anyway with them.

circles1325073415.5416168 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.

I only went to the post office with a pre-paid label,once, and they would not give me a receipt unless I paid for it....now I just hand them to my postman if I use the Q. label..otherwise I go to the UPS center and pay for my own return...By the way...if you get a pre-pay for UPS...like HSN offers...the UPS place does give you a receipt for tracking the return...no charge...

Islandgirl­70321325074037.412846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

Yep, I've always gotten a receipt from UPS on Zappos prepaid returns, no problem, no cost.

A Walker1325094786.3971220 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011
On 12/28/2011 Islandgirl7032 said:
On 12/28/2011 A Walker said: I don't know why the post office person told you that Nutmeg. Once they scan it, they print the scanned-in receipt for you. Today I returned an item with the prepaid sticker to the Q that wouldn't fit in the kiosk slot, and the guy behind the counter said, "Hold on. I have to scan this in and then give you a receipt for it." The receipt simply said the package was accepted for a prepaid label return along with the label number. Free. So I have no idea what your guy was talking about as I've never paid for a return scan receipt on prepaid labels. Last edited on 12/28/2011

Sorry, but my P.O. is like nutmeg3's, no receipt for the prepaid label packages, since no money changes hands.

I've asked at multiple locations amd have spoken with supervisors, with the same response.

So I never use the labels, takes too long to get your refund anyway with them.

I was perplexed as to why a USPS service is available to me, however, it's not available to others like you, if it would get more people to feel confident using pre-paid returns, thereby increasing the USPS pre-paid label business. I asked a random USPS person at the counter while mailing something to my daughter and was told... That receipt is simply saying USPS received and accepted this pre-paid labeled merchandise to return to the vendor and included the date, time, weight, and label # so if it's lost, they can track it. The USPS keeps records of what they ship out, so they would scan the label anyway. Since I was there in person, they give FREE receipts as a way for me to be able to have a receipt saying that I actually did return it, in case it's lost. Even though no money changed hands, the receipt is printed as the label is scanned, because it says the total of this transaction is $0.00.

The USPS needs to be proactive for their business and competitive and they like to provide this small service to the community. They also have "hold vacation mail" services and stamp delivery, etc. so perhaps our USPS is just more in tune with what other delivery services offer and would like to stay in business and not be one of the ones closed? I have absolutely no clue because if you think about it... it's a way they can check the weight of the package and see if THEY are losing money on these pre-paid labels too. It's all about business and since the USPS is continually having money problems, I'm sure they need to research any and all money-making possibilities. If you'd like to complain to the USPS, which I think might be good, you can go to their website and comment. I think it gives us more leverage if a returned package is lost having a receipt, and might make others more willing to use their services. I honestly think a free receipt is a win-win situation. HTH

Dawn0071325094823.5633 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011

Thanks to all of you for your responses and advice! I wanted to make sure nothing was left behind on the computer since I don't know where it will go once it is back with QVC.

Page 1 of 1