Just-Reduced Clearance
122 Members and 18646 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Should I buy the Roku 2 XD

Started 1324139695.247 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1327397721.257 by ALTECHNET
This thing looks amazing. Should I buy it? I have cable that has everything. Is this a good idea. How difficult is it to use? Thanks ladies.

Page 1 of 2
priusgal1324140106.59620 PostsRegistered 2/27/2010Eastern PA

I'm so glad you asked this question, I'd like to know too. I'm sitting here watching the presentation and I have cable with premium channels, on demand, etc. Does your TV need an HDMI input?

DannysWife1324141848.423490 PostsRegistered 10/11/2010Ohio

I bought a Sony brand for $50 a few weeks back and it is wonderful.. I don't have a hi-def TV so didn't need the cables.. My son subscribed to NetFlix and I get it just fine on the main TV with the Sony box.. I can get all the items listed on the Roku just mine is a Sony.. I don't subscribe to Hula so don't get that, Netflix is enough..

"Trust everyone just don't trust the devil inside of them"

PaLady11324142667.57313 PostsRegistered 11/28/2011

I bought a Roku 2 when it was a TSV and so did my cousin. No you don't need an HDMI cable on your TV (QVC includes one which is something other retailers don't), you can hook it up like an old VCR with the colored inputs. It is very easy to connect. I wanted it because I only can afford basic cable but the problem I have is the remote on my 20 year old TV isn't the original one, and it doesn't work with anything but the TV itself. So now I'm shopping for a reasonably priced TV, but still plan to use the Roku. My cousin hooked it up to her older TV and it's working great, but her TV isn't as old as mine. One thing is you have to register with a credit card, and they deduct if you subscribe to Netflix, etc. You may want to watch what card you give them. But the unit itself looks great and with QVC's return policy, you really can't go wrong. It would be great if you wanted to pay less and downgrade your cable, although if your cable has everything maybe you have enough channels. That's up to you! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 12/17/2011

annabellet­hecat1324152007.5814892 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
I'm sitting in the family room. Not 3 feet in front of me is a very large Sony TV that is not hooked up because when my husband died I bought a 46 inch flat tv and put it over the fake fireplace. I would just hook it up to the flat screen (I'm one of those people who have in their head....bigger.....more....means ....better! I absolutely love watching TV (my 5 years older brother is the same way). This Sony is the way tv's used to be that is the size of an elephant. I've given it to 2 of my guy neighbors and it was still sitting here! Anyway, I am really trying to be more practical. I buy this stuff and can never figure out how to use it and send it back. It is getting embarrassing at the post office!! So am I right about this? OK, it will 'enhance' my internet experience? Am I right that it is EASY to hook up? Am I right that I don't havwe to subscribe to anything else when I buy it? So does this make sense?

lobstergal1324152699.4433798 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

I don't have it but I've watched the presentations numerous times so I'll try to answer a few of your questions. First, you need to have wireless internet in your home for it to work. It's very simple to install, all you do is plug the Roku box into the wall outlet & I think there's a USB cable to plug into the TV...it's very simple to do. There is not subscription fee for the Roku but some of the channels have a fee to be able to view them. Some are monthly fees & some are yearly fees. It will tell you when you click on that channel if there is a fee & how much it is....I'm pretty sure they are nominal. HTH

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

annabellet­hecat1324153193.0814892 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
Thank you DMom67 for taking the time to help me and thanks to all of you who had so much patience with me. I am so grateful that I found all of you. Sometimes I'll say to a daughter, "the ladies on the QVC Forum say this or that". A daughter will say, "mom, you act like these people know everything".

lobstergal1324155406.253798 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

annabellethecat ~ you're welcome & I'm glad I helped you out. I know you asked if you shoud buy it but I honestly can't answer that...it really depends on your personal needs & wants. I would say though that if you watch a lot of TV & like to listen to music through your TV then it would be a worthwhile thing to purchase. You said you have cable that has everything but didn't say if you have it on all the TV's in your house that you watch. This Roku would be perfect to plug into a TV that doesn't already have the extra's or a nice addition to one that already does. If you do decide to get it, I think you'll find it very easy to install & use.

ETA ~ You should tell your daughter that individually us QVC forum people don't "know everything" but with our combined efforts we know quite a bit. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

ok4ablonde21324212647.358837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

It's easy to hook up, but you will also need a wireless router. As far as doing away with satellite or cable, it won't if you like channels like HGTV, etc.

And you can use PayPal if you don't want to give them a credit card. I signed up with Netflix directly and my account will be charged by Netflix, not Roku, after the free trial period ends.

(I didn't get my Roku here, I got the Roku LT from Amazon for $49).

Last edited on 12/18/2011

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

sue521324213998.3471270 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

I am wondering about this too. It does look amazing. Does it get QVC? Does anyone know?

keri1324224995.921911 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Here's a list of what's available on Roku: http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store and http://www.roku-channels.com/ They're always updating; probably adding more, but possibly dropping some. Roku is Internet TV and it's not like traditional cable, where channel availability is predicated upon bandwidth.

sue521324237965.3931270 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

I think I'll pass for now. Thanks for the info, keri!

PaLady11324242493.95713 PostsRegistered 11/28/2011
On 12/17/2011 annabellethecat said: I'm sitting in the family room. Not 3 feet in front of me is a very large Sony TV that is not hooked up because when my husband died I bought a 46 inch flat tv and put it over the fake fireplace. I would just hook it up to the flat screen (I'm one of those people who have in their head....bigger.....more....means ....better! I absolutely love watching TV (my 5 years older brother is the same way). This Sony is the way tv's used to be that is the size of an elephant. I've given it to 2 of my guy neighbors and it was still sitting here! Anyway, I am really trying to be more practical. I buy this stuff and can never figure out how to use it and send it back. It is getting embarrassing at the post office!! So am I right about this? OK, it will 'enhance' my internet experience? Am I right that it is EASY to hook up? Am I right that I don't havwe to subscribe to anything else when I buy it? So does this make sense?

I'm not sure the Roku will give you more than what you have on your cable, since you have everything cable can offer. Like another poster suggested, go to the roku.com site and look at some of the channel offerings and see if there are things you DON'T get with your current cable that you really want to watch. Unless you're looking to downsize your cable, like i had to due to financial circumstances. It IS easy to hook up. With your new flat screen you could use the HDMI cable; with your old the colored wires. But you need a separate roku for each TV. As others have said, there ARE some subscription channels like netflix and huluplus, but I suspect you're already getting a lot of that content on your cable. You can buy these in stores, too, and I've seen them all over but be careful as there are several different models. The highest priced Roku XS is NOT what QVC is offering, and is mainly geared for people who like to do gaming. The remote is different. For the poster who asked if you get QVC on the Roku, one of the presentations I saw said no, not at this time, but it may be added in the future. You do need wireless to use this, that's the most important thing. Hope this helps!

ok4ablonde21324305197.098837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
On 12/18/2011 sue52 said:

I am wondering about this too. It does look amazing. Does it get QVC? Does anyone know?

Yes, but you have to add QVC as a private channel, it doens't come on it. You can get QVC, HSN, JTV and Liquidation channel. Also, since these are private channels, the video quality isn't quite what you'd see on cable or satellite.

harv1324325757.26383 PostsRegistered 11/20/2010

I have the Roku 2 and only watch it when there's nothing on cable- usually i can find something i missed to watch. Most of the movies they have are violent low budget action & horror movies, especially on Crackle & Net Flix & some family stuff. I like Hulu for catching up on the tv shows i forgot to dvr or some i havent seen in years. Most of the movies and shows i have seen are crystal clear, i know some people complained about picture quality, but it could be just quality of there cable, like anything else it needs to be upgraded too.

ok4ablonde21324326382.028837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

I will agree that MOST channels are crystal clear, except for QVC and HSN, which come up 2 out of 4 on the quality scale. The reason they are lower quality is they are private channels and from what I understand are streamed from iPhone connections (read this on the Roku forum).

PixieMouse1324327027.12432 PostsRegistered 1/19/2007

Do NOT buy any Roku if you expect (or want) to watch live, real-time programming. It is for watching "on demand" titles that have already been broadcast. Or movies that you watch "on demand."

It's not a replacement for anything "live." I wish QVC would present this thing accurately. Makes me angry that they imply it's "just like your cable TV."

I've had mine for years and I love it. You have access to a zillion things you can't get with cable. But it's not LIVE. You don't tune in and see something being broadcast as you are watching it.

ok4ablonde21324327721.3778837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
On 12/19/2011 PixieMouse said:

Do NOT buy any Roku if you expect (or want) to watch live, real-time programming. It is for watching "on demand" titles that have already been broadcast. Or movies that you watch "on demand."

It's not a replacement for anything "live." I wish QVC would present this thing accurately. Makes me angry that they imply it's "just like your cable TV."

I've had mine for years and I love it. You have access to a zillion things you can't get with cable. But it's not LIVE. You don't tune in and see something being broadcast as you are watching it.

I agree with you, but I do get HSN and QVC live because I've checked (I still have satellite) and I'm in the same time zone. But you are right about everything else, it is NOT the same as satellite or cable. Now that I've signed up with Netflix I am a whole lot happier with the Roku.

gardensla1324328937.1219857 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

I have to say that this product has some of the WORST customer reviews I have seen here at QVC. The problem seems to two-fold--many reported issues with the actual equipment, and many others seem not to have understood the product due to what seems like, well not lies per se, but omissions of truth on the part of hosts. Where there is some 'free' content Roku is designed to access streaming content like NetFlix and Amazon Video on Demand.

Personally, I bought Apple TV and love it.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

NickiML1324564591.281620 PostsRegistered 1/28/2005Plantation, FL

I bought the Roku 2 XD TSV and I LOVE it!! My neighbor hooked it up & I had it up and running in minutes. I've been watching shows on my Roku every day on Netflix and/or Hulu Plus (locks up and is annoying, especially when trying to do work out videos). Right now, I am watching old episodes of Felicity on Netflix. I purchased a Mohu Leaf indoor HD antenna (www.gomohu.com) and hope to get 25 local channels with it, then I can cancel my cable.

BUY IT...awesome product!!

Nicki

Bruno_the_­bully1326591035.1671 PostsRegistered 1/14/2012

the roku is great .... BUT qvc selling it is not good, i bought it on qvc .. they had a roku with 2 months of Hulu Plus for free, i never got the hulu plus 2 months for free .... they FIRST said they would have the shipping dept send it out to me.... never got anytrhing ..... when i asked where it was they (QVC) said "sorry " they could not send me the 2 month Hulu. what the whell !!!!!!! i feel i got ripped off

BERNADETTE1326611341.0473 PostsRegistered 10/24/2010

yes i agree by the other posters it is not a satelliete or cable subustitute.and i hook my ethernet to my computer and wireless and get the same as having a rouku.thru the media center on my computer it has internet tv all ready on it.and if qvc is mis quote this it needs to stop.shame

cathyb1326628002.94719 PostsRegistered 8/5/2010

WE LOVE OUR ROKU IF YOU LOVE MOVIES YOU WILL LOVE THE ROKU! YES THERE ARE CHANNELS THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR BUT THE CHOICE IS ALL YOURS!

harv1326640923.887383 PostsRegistered 11/20/2010

Super Walmart has a large Roku display in the middle aisle of the electronic section now. So i guess its popular now....

ALTECHNET1326951545.207725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

Yesterday a few minutes ago I had receive my Roku2. For some strange reason it didn't turn on. But it running now. I am not impress with it. Seems more aimed for selling services than providing free entertainment. Crackle is free but I am just getting short clips of the movies. Then there is the ad banner at the bottom. What the heck is this? Why would I want to look at ads on the Roku2 Home screen. Come on now get real. $4.99 of games I don't think so. It's shame they are selling these devices like this. I have paid for netflix amazon prime and have 2 months free of hulu plus with with my SONY SMP-N100 and SONY doesn't ask me for my creidit card info. You can't even start using the Roku2 without your CC or Paypal account. For the best value and QVC should sell the SONY SMP-N200 which is the current 3D box. You can watch Crackle TV and it's short ads but it returns back to the movie. This box doesn't. I had select Glory and get a short clip then it takes me to Aftermath.

Then the games you get like Angry Birds the free one seems okay but tad slow. To me that game best on a tablet. They want $4.99 for Angry Bird HD. I don't think so..

I am sending this back to QVC after to try it out some more. I am not liking what I see. I can't see how some here are recommending this device. SONY Network Media Player not so fancy but at lease you can use it on Windows 7 PC shares folders and not asking for you your money either!

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

ok4ablonde21326985089.48837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
On 1/18/2012 ALTECHNET said:

Crackle is free but I am just getting short clips of the movies. Then there is the ad banner at the bottom. What the heck is this? Why would I want to look at ads on the Roku2 Home screen. Come on now get real. $4.99 of games I don't think so. It's shame they are selling these devices like this. I have paid for netflix amazon prime and have 2 months free of hulu plus with with my SONY SMP-N100 and SONY doesn't ask me for my creidit card info. You can't even start using the Roku2 without your CC or Paypal account. For the best value and QVC should sell the SONY SMP-N200 which is the current 3D box. You can watch Crackle TV and it's short ads but it returns back to the movie. This box doesn't. I had select Glory and get a short clip then it takes me to Aftermath.

I have no idea what's happening to you. I just purchased two Roku LT's from Amazon (the cheapest model Roku) and I'm not getting any ads on the Roku home screen. And my Crackle works fine too. Yes, on Crackle there are ads, maybe a short little 10 to 15 second long commercial every 10 or so minutes, then it's back to the movie.

Page 1 of 2