Weekend Preview
35 Members and 9478 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Lesson Learned with QVC and Shipping.........

Started 1319564608.357 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1319741746.173 by harv

I ordered a Dell Laptop for my husband for Christmas. Purchased it as the TSV a few weeks back. When I spoke with a CS rep, she informed me the CD Rom would be shipped separately from the computer. I should expect the CD around 10/11 and the computer would be around the 26th. She also tole me someone had to be home in order to receive the computer because a signature was required.

The computer arrived, (I had it shipped to my moms so hubby would't catch wind of it) on the day that the CD as supposed, 2 weeks ahead of schedule, which would have been fine, but, no one was home, so UPS left it outside, with the words DELL printed all over the box AND it was pouring rain so when my mother finally got to it, the box was soaking wet.

After hours on the phone between QVC, Dell and UPS, come to find out, QVC DOES NOT require a signature for computers. I can't believe a $1,000.00 piece of equipment does no require and signature and can be left out for anyone to take.

After speaking with Dell they insisted I send the computer back immediately because the insides were probably fried. Lesson learned, just a heads up to anyone who is thinking of purchsing electronics from QVC. Call UPS and ask if there is a signature required. Even though Dell required a signature for this item, QVC does not and that's what UPS goes by.

Page 1 of 1
robomo1319564818.2779441 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I'd say that was the UPS man's fault and not QVC. Usually QVC does require a signature on their things. But even if they didn't require a signature, most UPS men I know would NOT leave such a box and most especially in the rain!

hattrick1319565197.24974 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010
On 10/25/2011 robomo said:

I'd say that was the UPS man's fault and not QVC. Usually QVC does require a signature on their things. But even if they didn't require a signature, most UPS men I know would NOT leave such a box and most especially in the rain!

That's what I thought too. My first irate call was to UPS and man did I ream them out. I spoke with at least 3 different people there and I got the same answer from all of them. If there is NO signature required from the sender, which in this instance was QVC and not Dell, then they can leave whatever, wherever, whenever and it is not their responsibility.

I spoke with a couple different reps at QVC and they said the same thing. QVC does not require a signature for this item, and, even though it was shipped from Dell, it comes from QVC and they are the ones that make the decision. I think even the rep was a little shocked when she checked into it.

Scary to think something of that value can be left out for anyone to take and we never would have known.

chickenbutt1319596202.3224221 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I'm sorry you had to deal with this! As much as I TOTALLY agree that buying computers from QVC is never a good idea, I would agree with the others that the bad delivery was on UPS.

You would be best served to get your money back from QVC and buy the computer from either the manufacturer or another retailer. You will get a LOT more computer for your money by doing so and you can have more control on when it arrives. I've gotten half of mine from amazon and the other half from Best Buy dot com by doing the 'store pick up'. That way I could order and pay for it online (also getting a rebate from MrRebates), but pick it up at the store that very same day if I wanted.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

nutmeg31319599726.934951 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I hope when you return this computer to QVC. You send it insured by UPS, and pay the return fees yourself. I used the return label to send clothing back from the USPS, and postal employee would not give me a receipt unless I paid again. This is fine with a $60 item, but not with a $1000 computer.

Minty3171319603376.593178 PostsRegistered 9/7/2011Buffalo, NY

I feel for you! I also agree it was UPS's fault. They take a signature but it's the driver's discretion of whether or not it is safe to leave it, and where they do so. My UPS guy won't leave anything outside no matter it what it is, but when I sold Avon thier delivery people left my whole inventory sitting on my porch with no one home. Not good.

USPS has always given me a receipt when I use the Q-label, and for all by ebay prepaid labels too. It shows that you handed it them. That employee was wrong to tell nutmeg she couldn't get a receipt! It's your proof that you mailed it.

PeaceKeeper1319607854.1231388 PostsRegistered 11/6/2007

Any time there is even a HINT of rain in the air, my UPS guy always places my box(es) in a plastic bag. Once he even placed my front porch rug on top of a box! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

The USPS gal...That's another story! {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Last edited on 10/25/2011

Last edited on 10/25/2011

hattrick1319659323.763974 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010

I tried getting the number to my local PS delivery service so I could ask who the driver was on that route, but all I could get was the national and they would not forward me to that office.

I agree, I thought it was UPS too, but they are refusing all liability stating that if QVC does not require a signature, then they are released from all damages.

Not sure what to do, the only plus I see thru QVC is the 5 easy pay, which I jumped on, and, my husband can use this for a month and if he doesn't like it, we can send it back. Can't do that anywhere else.

Sunshine K­ate1319659587.49712235 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

Years ago when I bought a Dell, directly from the company, they also left it on my front porch with the Dell logo on the box.

I couldn't believe it either.

Respectfully ~
Kate

chickenbutt1319662835.5924221 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Hattrick - At least the good thing is that QVC should guarantee the shipment, so they will replace it for you. The only bummer is that they will expect the initial shipment back before they will even process a new order. :( I hate that as most reputable retailers will rush out a new one and either email, or include in the new order, a shipping label.

One way to return that one, if you haven't opened the box or can seal it back up nicely, is to do a 'refuse' delivery. You contact UPS and they will pick it up. That way you don't have to deal with it or pay to ship it. It has to be refused from the same address to which it was initially shipped, though. UPS is good about pick ups.

If QVC had put signature required on the shipment you will be able to see that in the tracking at the UPS site, btw. I'm surprised if they didn't make it siggie required as they always used to do that with high ticket items. If they did and UPS didn't get your sig, they ARE responsible. If they didn't ship it siggie required, then it's 100% on QVC. Either way I know that QVC will make it good. It will just take a while, the way they process things.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

hattrick1319740444.373974 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010
On 10/26/2011 chickenbutt said:

Hattrick - At least the good thing is that QVC should guarantee the shipment, so they will replace it for you. The only bummer is that they will expect the initial shipment back before they will even process a new order. :( I hate that as most reputable retailers will rush out a new one and either email, or include in the new order, a shipping label.

One way to return that one, if you haven't opened the box or can seal it back up nicely, is to do a 'refuse' delivery. You contact UPS and they will pick it up. That way you don't have to deal with it or pay to ship it. It has to be refused from the same address to which it was initially shipped, though. UPS is good about pick ups.

If QVC had put signature required on the shipment you will be able to see that in the tracking at the UPS site, btw. I'm surprised if they didn't make it siggie required as they always used to do that with high ticket items. If they did and UPS didn't get your sig, they ARE responsible. If they didn't ship it siggie required, then it's 100% on QVC. Either way I know that QVC will make it good. It will just take a while, the way they process things.

Thanks chickenbutt. Nope, all QVC here. I called CS again and was told they DO NOT require a signature for a computer. I think the CS rep was as shocked as I was.

The computer is on it's way back but you're right, here we go waiting for another one to arrive and with the weather here, (it's raining/snowing today) I can only hope the same UPS person does not deliver the next one.

Is there anyone at the Q I could email? Maybe they can change their policy and have something like this signature required.

lobstergal1319741694.843786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

You can call UPS and request that they only deliver signature required for all packages delivered to your house. We had to do that because our UPS delivery person would leaved boxes out in rain & snow without putting them in plastic bags & were told that is the drivers discretion to do. They even smashed boxes between the storm & screen door which they ruined both the door & package, all because they are in a hurry & can't be bothered to do the right thing.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

harv1319741746.153383 PostsRegistered 11/20/2010

UPS always leaves my packages at the door usually under my mat, when i'am not home. Thats why i always check the tracking to see when something is going to be delivered. Now Fed Ex usually will not leave anything at the door, they will take it to my rental office and leave it or bring it back the next day.

Page 1 of 1