The Joy of Christmas
42 Members and 6666 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Can Any of You Tell Me What is the Best Brand TV to Buy?

Started 1315973064.76 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1316995264.403 by Pinkroses

Or the top three?.....I want either a 37" or 40" Led HDTV, with the best quality picture, clarity, sound, etc....Nothing too loaded is necessary....For example, I don't want a 3D TV, and internet ready is optional, but not necessary.....Price range would be up to $800.00.

Thank you!....Smile

You are such a good friend that if both of us were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket......I'd miss you heaps and think of you often.

Page 1 of 2
gardenman1316009069.7717005 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Generally you'll hear that Samsung and Sony are the top two brands, but I just bought an RCA (made by TCL in China) and it's got a picture as good as my Samsung. I paid $429 for the 42" RCA and its picture is at least as good as the Samsung 40" that I paid $600 for.

If I can't see/hear a difference, I'm not spending more for something that may be 'technically' better. I know people rave about LED sets, but unless someone tells me a set is LED in the stores they all look alike to me. If LED lit sets were vastly better, I'd recommend buying one, but I don't really see much of a difference. I wouldn't pay any more for a set with Internet features as eveything is coming with Internet features these days. For $100 you can by a Blu-ray player with Internet apps and features, so why pay more for a TV with them?

If I had an $800 budget and I wanted a 40" set with a good picture right now, I'd probably head to Walmart.com and buy their 40" RCA 40LA45RQ for $389.98. I don't have that set, but mine is the 42" version of that set and it's a fine set and does what I need it to do. For $800 you can buy two of them.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Idacat1316009538.074707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

I'd say go to the store or stores of your choice and buy the largest TV for the least money and don't get an internet ready model, that technology is less expensive in a BluRay player and most of them have it now.

Here's why I say this: no matter what the "reviews" say LCD/LED panels are unpredictable in terms of longevity and many suffer catastrophic failures very early in their lives. The "reviews" do not reflect this, and the flat screens do not have anywhere near the longevity of the old CRT sets.

When I bought my main TV I bought what was at the time a very highly rated model and quite expensive, but, I did go by the ratings in addition to how the picture looked, etc.

That TV suffered a fatal failure of the LCD panel 3 years and 3 months after purchase, just past the extended warranty period; replacing the panel cost about as much as a new TV. In researching the issue of these LCD panel failures I found every brand including the high end ones have multiple reports of early LCD failure. I won't choose my next TV using "reviews" or "ratings" again if, in fact they are essentially disposable and if you get five years out of one it is sheer luck.

There's another thread here regarding selection of a new TV, you might want to read that thread.

As for best picture, that's subjective and depends on how you will use it. I can stand in front of a 55 inch TV in the store and compare a 60 versus the better 120HZ refresh rate and I cannot tell the difference except the 120 HZ costs $100 more. And this is using a demo of a football game, losts of fast motion where refresh rate matters. I don't watch sports or action, this is not going to matter to me,,,,especially when I cannot tell the difference at a much closer distance than anyone would ever use to actually watch the TV.

stevieb1316009584.00728720 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I like my Sony, but then I also liked a Toshiba I had and it lasted forever. I also had a Panasonic and it was pretty good too but was so large I got rid of it when I moved last summer.

Idacat1316009947.8734707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 gardenman said:

Generally you'll hear that Samsung and Sony are the top two brands,

Ha !! Mine that croaked was a Samsung, virtually the highest rated at the time I bought it.

Reports of early Sony LCD panel failure are also rife.

I've just decided to regard these things as disposable and buy what has a good picture in the store. I don't even know if I'd buy another extended warrantee.

Idacat1316010027.6274707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 stevieb said:

I also liked a Toshiba I had and it lasted forever.

How long is forever?

humpty dum­pty1316010119.0434053 PostsRegistered 8/19/2007Western PA

Zenith has always been one of the best ...

- Good enough is good enough!! -

NChgOfMyAt­titude1316011333.8075115 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut

Just got one last week. Samsung seems to be rated highest all the time for the picture quality. LG and Sony are good also. From what we read and were told. LED is better than LCD and most people say to stay away from plasma.

We got a 40" LED Samsung 1080/120 for $850. The picture is amazing. Seems like the people are in the room with us.

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

mschrief1316011784.047934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA

I purchased a Sharp Aquos 42 inch when it was a TSV.

Never had any problems, perfect.

hckynut1316015849.1219420 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

What technology is it you are looking to buy? If it is DLP, there is only 1 brand to even consider, and they have been #1 for ages with this technology.

hckynut(john)

Idacat1316018372.124707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Here's a link to the previous thread:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Electronics-talk/topic/214651/need-help-choosing-a-new-tv.aspx

It would have saved me a couple of thousand dollars if I had known when I bought my expensive highly rated (and dearly departed in 3 years)Samsung and just did what Gardenman says.

Sony has so many complaints about their panels suffering early death that there is a class action suit in the works.

And,,,those are the TOP TWO brands, it doesn't matter because brand doesn't matter.

Idacat1316018438.474707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 hckynut said:

What technology is it you are looking to buy? If it is DLP, there is only 1 brand to even consider, and they have been #1 for ages with this technology.

OP states LCD.

There is so little market for DLP that I cannot even find one in my town to LOOK at, much less buy.

only shops­ online1316018967.5135532 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

You just can't go by the brand, because TVs can vary within the brand. I'm not a techie, but you need to consider things like the contrast ratio. That can vary between models in the same brand, and the higher the ratio, the better the picture. Also, 120Hz was the standard for a while, and now 240 is prevalent. However, if you see a really great price for a large TV, it may be because they are still trying to sell off 60Hz sets from years ago, and the contrast ratio my be low.

It sounds confusing, but just do a little reading online and you'll catch on.

We have a Samsung model that we really loved, until we bought another TV which was a Vizio. The Vizio has a higher contrast ratio and the picture is much better. Sony has been a gold standard for some time, but many retailers like Costco have been unloading some low level Sony models so you really have to compare. We have a much older 60 hz Sony Bravia, with a lower contrast ratio. The picture, even with HD, is horrible compared to our newer models. We don't even use it anymore.

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Idacat1316021543.7934707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 only shops online said:

You just can't go by the brand, because TVs can vary within the brand. I'm not a techie, but you need to consider things like the contrast ratio. That can vary between models in the same brand, and the higher the ratio, the better the picture. Also, 120Hz was the standard for a while, and now 240 is prevalent. However, if you see a really great price for a large TV, it may be because they are still trying to sell off 60Hz sets from years ago, and the contrast ratio my be low.

I can stand right in front of the three different contrast ratios and two different refresh rates in the same size set and cannot tell the difference although I can see subjective differences between the TV's in the display,,they just don't seem to have anything to do with anything,,,,,,,contrast ratio, refresh rate, even 720 vs 1080"full" HD. I'm blind, yes, but not THAT blind.

I can only say that I'll never buy another TV that is highly rated because of the brand name, and, I think this is the case with Samsung and Sony,,,,, just because of the inherent problems of longevity in LED panels. BUT, I'll will consider perceived picture quality. This is also why I won't buy a TV sight unseen.

So far, in the looking I have done since my 3 year old Samsung lotsabucks highly rated died, as far as picture quality Vizio is hands down the best and I know I have looked at some older lower contrast lower refresh rate Vizios and they have still looked better than the higher end bigger name same size and specs sets sitting next to them.

chickenbutt1316023389.67323806 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

There are a lot of good brands and a lot of great reviews to be found. I'd do some research online - you will find a ton of information.

I have 5 TVs in my house - 4 of them are Toshibas and the other one is a Sony. I really like both brands. Samsung is supposed to be a good brand. I've read a lot of good things about Vizio too. I used to find Mitsubishi and Hitachi to be outstanding but I don't know what they do now, with flat screens.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Idacat1316023856.1574707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 chickenbutt said:

There are a lot of good brands and a lot of great reviews to be found. I'd do some research online - you will find a ton of information.

I have 5 TVs in my house - 4 of them are Toshibas and the other one is a Sony. I really like both brands. Samsung is supposed to be a good brand. I've read a lot of good things about Vizio too. I used to find Mitsubishi and Hitachi to be outstanding but I don't know what they do now, with flat screens.

Mine that died after 3 years (actually 39 months) was a Samsung. I researched for weeks before I bought it and it was rated over Sony at the time I bought it.

Nothing, no beautiful picture quality, refresh rate, contrast ratio, etc., can get past the fact that LCD panels have short lifespans and a tendency above and beyond that to otherwise (above and beyond usual or normal lifetime) fail catastrophically and early on. There's a post in the first thread, that I linked to below, to the effect that if you get 5 years out of an LCD you are lucky. With those kind of stats, I'm skipping the high end name an will replace the Samsung with what looks good in the lineup and I can get the biggest screen for the lowest price. So far, this is hands down, everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,Vizio.

brewhaha1316024072.0943447 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

You can't go wrong with a Sony.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

patbz1316024254.42894 PostsRegistered 7/25/2006White Mountains AZ

Our 2 newest (2011) tvs are Hanspree from Costco.com. These are made by Sony and beat our Vizios handsdown.

Idacat1316025479.2334707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 brewhaha said:

You can't?

How come there's a class action suit pending against Sony re LCD panels that suffer early catastrophic failure?

Sony and Samsung are the two brand I will not even look at.

2blonde1316025499.53698 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007NE Ohio

The other posters here make a good point. LCD's are very unpredictable......I've had friends who've had their expensive TV die after anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. For that fact alone, I'd advise finding the size and picture quality you like, then looking for the absolute lowest price you can get. You say you would like a 37-40" size, My advice then, would be to get either a 40" or a 42" size. You may regret getting one too small, but never regret getting one too large IMO. Keep in mind that if you are replacing an old square screen set, a 37" rectangular looks much smaller than a 37" square screen. I went from a 32" square to a 42" rectangular, and I wish I had gotten the 46" they had there for only $200 more. I bought a Samsung plasma last spring (I didn't like how the LCD's looked from the side angle.......the plasmas don't distort like that). You do need to watch out for sun glare on a plasma, however, but they cost less than an LCD. Really, I would not invest more than $500 to $600 on a set if I were you. I bought my 42" plasma (Samsung) for about $550, and they are selling for even less now. Good luck!

Laura

Idacat1316025568.2574707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 patbz said:

Our 2 newest (2011) tvs are Hanspree from Costco.com. These are made by Sony and beat our Vizios handsdown.

I'll have to look at those. Are they in the stores? I won't buy one without seeing the picture, but I've been overall impressed by Vizio,,,,,,,,,,,

brewhaha1316025679.45343447 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer
On 9/14/2011 Idacat said:

You can't?

How come there's a class action suit pending against Sony re LCD panels that suffer early catastrophic failure?

Sony and Samsung are the two brand I will not even look at.

I just speak from my personal experience. This is the only brand I never had a problem with.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

Idacat1316025858.7834707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 patbz said:

Not on the site now but they have great prices on Vizios.

Idacat1316026081.6774707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

I just speak from my personal experience. This is the only brand I never had a problem with.

Generally or with HDTV's?

I'd agree generally, I've had some good Sony products.

But the fact is that as far as LCD/LED HDTV's go you cannot rely on brand, reviews, or ratings; the panels themselves are unpredictable and prone to short lifespan and early failure.

So, I'm just no longer willing to pay for the Sony name (or Samsung) to have it unexpectedly croak in a couple of years.

Idacat1316026193.3674707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 9/14/2011 2blonde said:

, I'd advise finding the size and picture quality you like, then looking for the absolute lowest price you can get.

My strategy, exactly.

Once bitten twice shy, yanno.

ford12241316026223.923586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

My brother worked as a high level trainer for Panasonic all over the world for 36 years. When he retired, he was Director of Training for the entire US. He just recently said the best TV out there right now is the LG, any of their models, according to your specifications.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Page 1 of 2