Guaranteed Delivery
14 Members and 16988 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

QVC Did it again.......Wanted Easy Pay.....Invoice Says it....BUT they put a hold on my checking for entire amount

Started 1303660699.86 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1303766939.453 by Mrs M

Yes, that pretty much say it all. And customer service was no help. Will have to wait until Monday and send to corporate. Really?!?!?

I was putting it on my debit card and going to pay it off at the first of the month.......I'm so disappointed the Q that they can put a hold for $900 on your account but can remove it. Even if I canceled the order it would stay there for 48 hours.

So if you ordered this TSV and used the easy pay - check your account to make sure you didn't get a hold for the entire amount.

Waiting to see what Monday holds for me now.......customer service didn't care - wonder if the bills I need to pay will?

Page 1 of 2
glb6131303661442.67711238 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Get smart and don't use a debit card.

Pomeranian­Fluff1303662133.7937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

I have Wells Fargo..use my debit card for everything...I don't use credit cards. I've never had QVC chage the full amount on an E/P order, but WF has done some crazy things over the years, including not updating the account balance over the weekend, until Tuesday. I don't know if your bank is anything like that, but maybe if you just wait for them to update eveything, that charge will go away?

adelle381303662284.7079760 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007

It's my understaning you can only use easy pay on credit cards.

Easy Pay

With an Easy Pay offer, you can spread out your payments over the designated number of payments at no extra charge when you order using a major credit card or QCard®. The product price, Shipping & Handling, and any applicable sales tax will be divided as per the specified number of payments. Easy Pay offers are subject to approval by QVC.

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pomeranian­Fluff1303662433.253937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...
On 4/24/2011 Donna Stone said:

It's my understaning you can only use easy pay on credit cards.

Easy Pay

With an Easy Pay offer, you can spread out your payments over the designated number of payments at no extra charge when you order using a major credit card or QCard®. The product price, Shipping & Handling, and any applicable sales tax will be divided as per the specified number of payments. Easy Pay offers are subject to approval by QVC.

Most debit cards I've seen are Visa...it qualifies as a major credit card. I have never had a problem with E/P and my debit card.

drizzellla1303669562.4171560 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
On 4/24/2011 PomeranianFluff said:

I have Wells Fargo..use my debit card for everything...I don't use credit cards. I've never had QVC chage the full amount on an E/P order, but WF has done some crazy things over the years, including not updating the account balance over the weekend, until Tuesday. I don't know if your bank is anything like that, but maybe if you just wait for them to update eveything, that charge will go away?

Last weekend I ordered the TSV on the other shopping channel for Andrew Lessman vitamins. It asked if I wanted a copy of the receipt and I said no. There was never a problem before.

Well, last night I checked and there is no order for Andrew Lessman vitamins under my account. I have no idea what could have happened to my order.

Also, last weekend my bank (Wachovia) changed over to Wells Fargo and I did not has access to any banking information for 3 days. Now I am wondering if WF did not approve payment. I am so disappointed - I wanted the Omega 3.

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

sunshine451303669731.8542858 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

they dont CHARGE the entire amount, but they usually do AUTHORIZE the entire amount initially..... especially if it is a big ticket item. it should fall off of your account within two banking days or so and then the initial first payment will post. if you dont want the hold on your checking account, then you may want to consider using a credit card instead.

"Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!” -Charles Dickens

Subject1303669858.80711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

DO NOT USE YOUR DEBIT CARD FOR THESE KINDS OF TRANSACTIONS! Use a regular credit card. That way- your money is not tied up if there is a problem.

millieshops1303670857.28715518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Not a problem for me at al. I use EZPay every time it's offered and have not yet had a problem. Then again, I refuse to allow my credit union to issue me a debit card. I just pay off my credit card when it comes due and discipline myself so I know how much I'm charging.

I assume this situation has something to do with how a debit card works, I don't think it's a new situation because I've seen others scream about it, and every time someone explains that the poster was not charged, just authorized. Besides, since today is Sunday - nothing is really happening with the bank accounts/nothing clears. Right?

Also, is this a one-time issue? Wouldn't it happen every time someone uses a debit card for EZPay? Why does it seem to be an issue only every once in a while? Is there a special amount that triggers the big authorizations? I know with credit cards that can happen, but I'm not actually being charged. A hotel, for example, can authorize hundreds of dollars, but they don't actually charge me until I say so.

Winifred1303671080.5433637 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't believe this is unusual for either writing a check or using a debit card. I would use neither for Easy Pay. I use a credit card and there has never been a problem in 20 plus years.

makeup add­ict1303671302.998313 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006
On 4/24/2011 newport said:

DO NOT USE YOUR DEBIT CARD FOR THESE KINDS OF TRANSACTIONS! Use a regular credit card. That way- your money is not tied up if there is a problem.

Agreed. Any online transactions/sales, I use my credit card or paypal. The only time I've seen where the hold equaled the installment amt (ez pay) was using paypal on HSN. Everything else, if you are using a debit card, the "soft" hold will be more than the installment amt.

purrmom1303674662.0833400 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

I still don't understand how you can use easy pay with your debit card. If the entire amount isn't held, you could conceivably close your account after you receive shipment.

Heather20091303684931.883180 PostsRegistered 1/2/2011
On 4/24/2011 glb613 said:

Agree with this. A friend recently pre-ordered an item at a major online store using her debit card, only to find that every few days they were deducting the amount from her account and then crediting it back. She called and was told they do this with debit card purchases to be sure the funds will be available when the product shipped. She canceled that order and then used her credit card - problem solved.

I belive also you have more protection on credit card purchases than with debit cards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/your-money/credit-and-debit-cards/primercards.html

"Federal law also protects you if you need to dispute charges on a credit card, but not if you use a debit card or other forms of payment. If you paid cash or used a debit card, the retailer already has your money. So you have a lot less leverage, and there’s no guarantee you’ll get that money back. But if you pay for something with your credit card and aren’t happy with the purchase, your card issuer can legally withhold payment from the retailer until they resolve the dispute, and you won’t be charged."

ccassaday1303685089.1572179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

I always you my debit card and the only authorize the easy pay amount. But I think I remember them sayng on huge ticket items they do authorize the whole amount to make sure your credit limit is high enough but when the charge comes through you will only be charged the easy pay amount.

ccassaday1303685302.0572179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

They dont charge yoyr debit card ubtil it isshipped anywhere. But they do make sure the money is there. And no they dont have to credit your preauthorization. It will just go off your hold column automatically after two days. Debit cards are great because you cant spend what you dont have. Credit cards are evil and I will never have one agin now I have no debts in my life and dont owe anyone anything

ccassaday1303685393.042179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009
On 4/24/2011 purrmom said:

I still don't understand how you can use easy pay with your debit card. If the entire amount isn't held, you could conceivably close your account after you receive shipment.

Because they cant determine what is a debit or credit card because they have visa just like a credit card.

Pomeranian­Fluff1303686332.147937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...
On 4/24/2011 ccassaday said:

They dont charge yoyr debit card ubtil it isshipped anywhere. But they do make sure the money is there. And no they dont have to credit your preauthorization. It will just go off your hold column automatically after two days. Debit cards are great because you cant spend what you dont have. Credit cards are evil and I will never have one agin now I have no debts in my life and dont owe anyone anything

Totally agree.

And it really all depends on your bank. If I had some company charging my debit card for something I didn't authorize, I would just file a claim and WF would be on it, investigating. All banks are not created equal.

ccassaday1303686655.142179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

I ordered some westinhouse solar lights Friday for my mom for mothers day. Well I changed my mind and decided to get a different set. So now I see in my hold column when I look on line they are holding the money for both. But probably monday or Tuesday the one hold from the cancelled order will go off. They arent charging amnything that wasnt authorized because the true amount of the ez pay will be the only amount charged. The thing where they check you limit or account for high ticket items makes total sense.

You can close your bank account when using a debit card just as easily as you can close a credit card account.

GoodStuff1303686933.64715725 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
On 4/24/2011 Heather2009 said:
On 4/24/2011 glb613 said:

Agree with this. A friend recently pre-ordered an item at a major online store using her debit card, only to find that every few days they were deducting the amount from her account and then crediting it back. She called and was told they do this with debit card purchases to be sure the funds will be available when the product shipped. She canceled that order and then used her credit card - problem solved.

I belive also you have more protection on credit card purchases than with debit cards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/your-money/credit-and-debit-cards/primercards.html

"Federal law also protects you if you need to dispute charges on a credit card, but not if you use a debit card or other forms of payment. If you paid cash or used a debit card, the retailer already has your money. So you have a lot less leverage, and there’s no guarantee you’ll get that money back. But if you pay for something with your credit card and aren’t happy with the purchase, your card issuer can legally withhold payment from the retailer until they resolve the dispute, and you won’t be charged."

Absolutely. We will not have a debit card; when our bank insisted on sending us one, we cut it up immediately, informed our bank, and had them issue a straight ATM card. You need to know that you do not have the consumer protections with a debit card that you have with a credit card. If an error happens like the one you've just experienced; if a clerk in a store types in too many digits in error; if your card is lost or stolen -- WATCH OUT! You will be without the funds that have been vacuumed out of your bank account until you can convince the bank that error or fraud has occurred, and until they get around to returning your funds to you. This may involve getting a police report, filling out affadavits, waiting for processing..........while you are unable to pay your bills and are racking up "bounced check" charges because you no longer have funds in your account to cover checks you've already written. You could even get charged for writing bad checks if a major payment obligation bounces! If you order something and then decide to cancel the order or return the merchandise, it may take a while for the refund to your account to be processed. The heart of it is that with a debit card, money is taken out of your account right now. Any errors or shortfalls become your problem; refunds or corrections can take a while.

Be smart. Get rid of your debit card and begin using cash or a credit card. The sooner, the safer!

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Last edited on 4/24/2011

GoodStuff1303687310.8215725 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Totally agree.

And it really all depends on your bank. If I had some company charging my debit card for something I didn't authorize, I would just file a claim and WF would be on it, investigating. All banks are not created equal.

Nice theory. Just wait till your debit card gets lost or stolen or major fraud or error occurs. Our daughter went through this when her purse was stolen. What a mess.

ccassaday1303687315.1972179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

THat isnt true about not having protection. I am not responsible for fraudulaunt charges. I have had one or two things happen where the computer messed up my charge and I took it into thebank. They took my receipt made a copy fixed my account right on the spot. The protection is there just like a credit card. Read your brochures from the bank. I check my account everyday anyway and I love a debit card because I never have any outstanding items. I dont have to reconcile every month. Once my charge is cleared and I see it I throw out the receipt.

Pomeranian­Fluff1303687516.47937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...
On 4/24/2011 GoodStuff said:

Totally agree.

Nice theory. Just wait till your debit card gets lost or stolen or major fraud or error occurs. Our daughter went through this when her purse was stolen. What a mess.

I can't even SPEND over a certain amount in one day. They won't allow it, without your consent. There are several forms of protection available, so that these kinds of things don't happen.

ccassaday1303687791.0272179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

Exactly I cant use mine as a debit when you use a pin for more then 500. I think if i swipe it as a credit I can use it for more but I have never tried.

Pixie Jo1303688097.813511 PostsRegistered 7/4/2009

This makes you sick, I'm sure.

I got a Q Card for this reason. I pay my bill off every month, so I don't pay interest. Honestly, even if I didn't pay it off, I wouldn't care. The statement lists everything I bought which is another benefit of the card.

I use my debit card for purchases too, but usually just for lower-priced items.

Pixie Jo

ccassaday1303688124.1732179 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

One other thing maybe I have a good credit union but they always fix your account on the spot if you claim something is not right no matter the form of payment. then you sign a paper and that says you are telling the truth and they do their investigation. The paper they sign says they can go back and take the money back if your case cant be proved, LIke I said in all the years I have had my debit card I have had 2 things happen and thety have always fixed my account on the spot.

glb6131303689535.66711238 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You have to be a grownup and not spend what you don't have whether it's a debit or credit card. I pay the balance in full every month and haven't paid a cent in interest.

I've earned $800 in "free money" using my rewards credit card. I used $500 of it to help pay for my iPad. I don't know of many debit cards that earn reward points.

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Page 1 of 2