Boot Boutique
15 Members and 10163 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

What exactly is juchek.exe about?

Started 1294909288.963 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1296017375.47 by bubba47

Sorry if I have that written out incorrectly in the discussion title. I'm doing it from memory, so I may have it wrong. Quite often on my new laptop, I'll get the message that I have an update waiting for me to download and install from juchek.exe. It always says that the publisher is unknown, so I don't download it. I believe it's from Java--at least that's what somebody from HP told me--but wanted to be sure. Would any of you know if this is safe to install? Thank you.

Page 1 of 1
NanaLinda1294914357.68534 PostsRegistered 11/26/2007

It's just a Java update and is safe.

glb6131294914368.5810949 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

http://www.ehow.com/how_4406487_remove-jucheckexe.html

gardenman1294923211.83716993 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Very often Java updates and Flash updates are not just safe to install, but increase the safety of your computer. Older versions of those programs may be insecure so by updating them you can often make your computer safer.

There's a great free program from Secunia called "Personal Software Inspector" that will automatically check your computer to see if you have the latest and safest versions of software on your computer and give you advice on what to do if you don't. I highly recommend it.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

curioussho­pper1294973840.517260 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm just never sure what to do with these updates when I get them. Always wonder why it always says the publisher is unknown. You'd think Java would show up as the publisher, wouldn't you?

curioussho­pper1295066376.78260 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Just wanted to correct the name of the program I originally asked about. It's not juchek.exe but rather jucheck.exe. Of course, I'm sure all of you computer savvy people out there were smart enough to know what I meant in spite of my error.

glb6131295086964.9410949 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/14/2011 curiousshopper said:

Just wanted to correct the name of the program I originally asked about. It's not juchek.exe but rather jucheck.exe. Of course, I'm sure all of you computer savvy people out there were smart enough to know what I meant in spite of my error.

No, it doesn't work that way. Many times a virus or other malware writer will purposely take that name of a legitamate file and change one letter. That's why it is so important when asking for help you spell things correctly.

barbados1295087054.814405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

It's from Sun Micosystems. A highly reputable company

star8261295090983.04712387 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Coastal Ripkaland bordering Bixbyville and Dawkinstown
On 1/13/2011 gardenman said:

Very often Java updates and Flash updates are not just safe to install, but increase the safety of your computer. Older versions of those programs may be insecure so by updating them you can often make your computer safer.

There's a great free program from Secunia called "Personal Software Inspector" that will automatically check your computer to see if you have the latest and safest versions of software on your computer and give you advice on what to do if you don't. I highly recommend it.

I just posted under another OP thanking whomever suggested this as I did just watch the video and deciced to use this Secunia PSI.

I'm new to all of this and try to keep everything secure and up to date but it seems at times a bit overwhelming.

I'm glad I found the proper thread to thank you for sharing this info with a non technical newbie...

Is there a PC mag or something you can recommend for someone like myself that only knows basic usage and how to keep up on all the info one should know when using a computer and the internet.

Appreciate any recommendations!

My system is now at 100% per Secunia PSI. :)

ETA: Barbados sweetie !!! I didn't even see you were there up above!!! Good morning! TGIS :)

Last edited on 1/15/2011

Last edited on 1/15/2011

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know PEACE" ~ Jimi Hendrix

A helpful decision maker: Ask yourself, "What would Cher do?"

barbados1295091914.6514405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
On 1/15/2011 star826 said:

I just posted under another OP thanking whomever suggested this as I did just watch the video and deciced to use this Secunia PSI.

I'm new to all of this and try to keep everything secure and up to date but it seems at times a bit overwhelming.

I'm glad I found the proper thread to thank you for sharing this info with a non technical newbie...

Is there a PC mag or something you can recommend for someone like myself that only knows basic usage and how to keep up on all the info one should know when using a computer and the internet.

ETA: Barbados sweetie !!! I didn't even see you were there up above!!! Good morning! TGIS :)

Last edited on 1/15/2011

Morning Star you cutie!!! Enjoy your weekend. Maxx and Tony sends their purrs to ya!!

star8261295093413.7812387 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Coastal Ripkaland bordering Bixbyville and Dawkinstown
On 1/15/2011 barbados said:
On 1/15/2011 star826 said:

Last edited on 1/15/2011

Morning Star you cutie!!! Enjoy your weekend. Maxx and Tony sends their purrs to ya!!

My furbaby sends kisses all around!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know PEACE" ~ Jimi Hendrix

gardenman1295127619.42716993 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I'm glad you liked the Secunia PSI. I stumbled upon it a year or two ago and I was stunned at how much insecure software there was on my computer when I first ran it. I'd been trying to keep the computer updated and to find out that there were about ten out of date/potentially insecure programs was an eye opener. It's a great little program that can keep your computer much safer.

As to magazines or publications, I'm afraid there really aren't any that I've found that are great for novices. I read about Secunia PSI on C-Net when I was looking for something else. If you hang around here, there are always some of us posting here who will let others know if we find something useful.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

star8261295127925.97712387 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Coastal Ripkaland bordering Bixbyville and Dawkinstown
On 1/15/2011 gardenman said:

I'm glad you liked the Secunia PSI. I stumbled upon it a year or two ago and I was stunned at how much insecure software there was on my computer when I first ran it. I'd been trying to keep the computer updated and to find out that there were about ten out of date/potentially insecure programs was an eye opener. It's a great little program that can keep your computer much safer.

As to magazines or publications, I'm afraid there really aren't any that I've found that are great for novices. I read about Secunia PSI on C-Net when I was looking for something else. If you hang around here, there are always some of us posting here who will let others know if we find something useful.

Thank you G-man!! Much appreciated! Maybe I'll save money by visiting here instead of the Ripka forum! LOL

Just don't know what the best things are to do to keep my computer safe.

I was told to use Microsoft Security Essentials free from the web.

Again, thank you for the info!

I'll have to make time to read this forum as soon as I can...

Good evening to you!

Cranberries1295370082.3210643 PostsRegistered 4/14/2009

Gardenman, saw this yesterday and read some info about it online and ended up downloading it. NEAT PROGRAM! I'm at 100% now after it found 4 issues (2 outdated patches and 2 end of life programs) Was very easy to correct and pretty much gives you an extra edge in keeping your PC safe. Pretty much finds and pinpoints things you wouldn't think to look for on your own or think about in terms of updates/patches.

Thanks! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"It's unexplainable... like that high pitched whistle that only dogs can hear"
(thanks stilltamn8r!)

bubba471296017375.458 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Pa

I have a few mags I read and there is one in particular that I feel might be what you would benefit by....It is 'Smart Computing'. It is not the 'techy' type of reading that you have to figure out what they are saying, it is a very informative mag, but, at the same time the way it is set up and written it is almost like 'learning' sessions and somewhat written like a 'tutorial'. I guess what I should say is that it is informative and very easy to understand!!

Take a look at one and see what you think....Smile

I have enjoyed it for years...

Page 1 of 1