New Holiday Decor
128 Members and 16916 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Downloading kindle amazon books on pandigital?

Started 1288731212.59 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1289167742.68 by Idacat

Can anyone explain to me how to or if we can covert books from amazon (which are in their kindle fomat) to our pandigital (which is in epub format). I was told there is a way by using a website called calibre, but have been having problems with this.

Page 1 of 1
Idacat1288732309.3474707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Nope, you can't.

Kindle books are in a proprietary DRM's mobi format which the PD does not currently recognize.

When the Android Open Platform becomes available for the PD you will be able to dl the Android Kindle app, then you can buy and read Kindle books.

EM71288732606.4631917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009

Calibre is a free program you install on your computer. It will let you convert from one format to another, but ONLY if the file does not have DRM (digital rights management) encryption. The books you bought from Amazon have DRM. DRM can be removed but there are concerns about the legality of doing so. So all I will say is that there is a wealth of information if you Google "remove DRM from Amazon books" or "remove DRM from mobi books" or a similar search string.

doc gal1288903306.97319 PostsRegistered 11/2/2010

AWW shucks! Just spent 60 bucks on a DRM protected book from AMAZON. . . {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Thanks for your replies!!

EM71288966144.161917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009
On 11/4/2010 doc gal said:

AWW shucks! Just spent 60 bucks on a DRM protected book from AMAZON. . . {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Thanks for your replies!!

See if BN has the same title, and return the one from Amazon. Or use Google to find out useful information ...

In-x-s1288990537.8272576 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location

I must say, I just re-watched the online video of the PanDigital .......... it was not from the day it was the TSV. Dan kept talking about having the "famous ereader" and asked the vendor about books he's already purchased. The vendor told him that once you buy the books they are your's and you will have no problem transferring them to the PanDigital, stating that epub is the most popular ebook format.

I just think there are too many misleading statements made on air about the PanDigital.

EM71288999026.6431917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009
On 11/5/2010 In-x-s said:

I must say, I just re-watched the online video of the PanDigital .......... it was not from the day it was the TSV. Dan kept talking about having the "famous ereader" and asked the vendor about books he's already purchased. The vendor told him that once you buy the books they are your's and you will have no problem transferring them to the PanDigital, stating that epub is the most popular ebook format.

I just think there are too many misleading statements made on air about the PanDigital.

Wow, you're right. I went over and watched the video, and it was not only misleading, it was deliberately misleading. I've noticed them gloss over information in the past, but this was out-and-out deceptive. It was clear that Dan was talking about a first-gen Kindle and asking specifically about moving books from it to the Pandigital. The rep just said you could drag and drop epub files to transfer them, but of course if you have a Kindle, you don't have epub files.

I can imagine a lot of people being sorely disappointed. Even worse if they are buying it as a gift for someone who's already got a ton of Kindle books.

And then of course there's the fact that Dan TWICE said the five included books are great American novels ... Jane Austen and Bram Stoker are Americans now???

doc gal1289164860.4519 PostsRegistered 11/2/2010

Yeah, I agree that is VERY misleading. Does anyone know if you can really RETURN ebooks bought from amazon???

azqfan1289165059.263518 PostsRegistered 10/24/2004
On 11/7/2010 doc gal said:

Yeah, I agree that is VERY misleading. Does anyone know if you can really RETURN ebooks bought from amazon???

You could download the Kindle app to your computer and still access the book.

Beebo1289165207.16959 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 11/4/2010 doc gal said:

AWW shucks! Just spent 60 bucks on a DRM protected book from AMAZON. . . {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Thanks for your replies!!

If you can't return it to Amazon, you can at least read it from your computer.

Idacat1289167742.684707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 11/7/2010 doc gal said:

Yeah, I agree that is VERY misleading. Does anyone know if you can really RETURN ebooks bought from amazon???

Yes you can and you have a WEEK to do it.

Just call Kindle customer service.

(I bought a book by mistake when I first got my Kindle)

Page 1 of 1