Dooney Days
122 Members and 16551 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

new coby kyros internet tablet blows all others away......see full info i included

Started 1288200891.043 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1294505248.21 by autumnfaire

this is brand new so there are no reviews available yet to read, but the southern channel had it on yesterday, and i also watched the youtube presentation as well as the southern channel presentation. seems this tablet is a world launch and has most of all desirable features one could ask for. the only thing you have to buy is your own sd card.

these are the specs for this tablet:

you can hook up your keyboard and mouse to it.

you can watch youtube videos on it and other videos.

you can buy any format e books as it is open source and does not limit you.

comes with hdmi cable to hook up to your tv in high def.

of course it plays ebooks, music, photo's, has alarm, calendar etc.

youtube has a video from the southern channel if you care to see and hear it in action.

here is detailed information i copied and pasted, and their web site is colbyusa the usual if you care to look at it.

Browse the web wirelessly or enjoy media.

this is what is included:

Coby® Kyros™ Internet Tablet
Protective case
Stylus
USB cable
USB host cable
Professional stereo earphones
Power adapter

The Kyros™ Tablet is a powerful and flexible Internet and Entertainment solution that features a generous 7" screen with intuitive touchscreen controls powered by the Android™ 2.1 operating system. Enjoy 1080P HD videos, photos, music, and more in the comfort of your living room when connected to your TV via HDMI. The Kyros™ has 4GB of internal memory and features an SD card slot for upgrading the capacity to up to 32GB. It also allows you to wirelessly access the Internet through a hi-speed networking support and includes more than a dozen built-in applications, each one identified by an icon. Among the included apps are an alarm clock, browser for surfing the web, calculator, email, gallery for viewing and playing videos, music and video player for launching the mobile YouTube™ browser page to watch Internet videos and more! In addition, the Kyros™ offers two unique apps, the Aldiko E-Book, for downloading and reading thousands of e-books (which supports the ePub standard) and AppsLib, to browse, download and install apps from the AppsLib marketplace for a complete mobile Internet solution.

features:

Large 7” Resistive Touchscreen to browse the web, watch videos on YouTube, and check e-mail
Connect to the Internet wirelessly with high-speed networking support (Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g)
Watch videos on YouTube
Integrated flash memory
Built-in 4GB SD card slot(upgrade up to 32GB)
Connect and enjoy Full 1080p on your HDTV via a HDMI cable
Discover and download apps to play games, check the weather, listen to the radio, and more with AppsLib
Download and read thousands of books with the included Aldiko E-book reader application
View pages in portrait or landscape with automatic orientation detection
Full-size USB connection enables keyboard or mouse control of your tablet
USB 2.0 Hi-speed for fast file transfers
Rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

specs:

CPU Type ARM1176™
CPU Speed 800 MHz
Memory
Memory Type Flash
Memory Max Built-in 4GB/Expandable up to 32GB
Display
Display Size 7"
Display Type Resistive Touch
Display Resolution 800 x 480
Networking
WLAN Type IEEE 802.11 b/g
Connections
Audio Input Mic
Audio Output 3.5mm headphone & Built-in Speaker
Video Output High Speed HDMI, type C (mini), Supports 1080P and 720P
USB Port Full-size USB host (for keyboard and mouse)
Media/Format Support
Text Format Support ePub format
General
Additional Functions Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® XP, Vista, 7 or higher and Mac OS or Linux in mass storage mode
OSD Menu Languages English (U.S), French (France), German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Korean, Japanese, Russian
OS Support Android™ 2.1
Power
Power Input/Output AC 100-240 VAC INPUT, DC 7.4V output
Battery Type Rechargeable Li-poly battery
Battery Capacity 3600mAh
Weights, Measurements & UPC
Unit Dimension (WHD) 7.59" x 4.52" x 60"
Unit Weight (LB) 0.97
Package Dimension (WHD) 9.84" x 7.28" x 2.67"
Package Weight (LB) 2.25
Master Carton Qty 4

accessories:

Coby® Kyros™ Internet Tablet
Protective case
Stylus
USB cable
USB host cable
Professional stereo earphones
Power adapter

this tablet seems to offer the most features one could possibly want.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
mima1288202544.71714673 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Thanks for the info. I'll check into it. My daughter is looking for something like this for her kids for Christmas.

I also wanted the Ipad, but haven't brought myself to pay that much yet. So I will be anxious to see some reviews on this!

Thanks a bunch!

Mima

adoreqvc1288205101.1375469 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

you're very welcome mima.

mima1288206960.88314673 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

They are sold out at HSN I guess. I can't find them. Do you know what the price was?

Thanks!

Mima

adoreqvc1288209170.775469 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

mima,

the price i saw was $199.00 and that was a reduced special hsn host pick day price.

i think the manuf. retail price i recall was $249.00.

i am sure hsn only had them as a world launch yesterday, but of course coby will be releasing them to the public any day now.

it really looks great especially with everything that one can do as it is so much more than a great ereader.

hope this information helps, and take care mima.

mima1288209460.2614673 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 10/27/2010 adoreqvc said:

mima,

the price i saw was $199.00 and that was a reduced special hsn host pick day price.

i think the manuf. retail price i recall was $249.00.

i am sure hsn only had them as a world launch yesterday, but of course coby will be releasing them to the public any day now.

it really looks great especially with everything that one can do as it is so much more than a great ereader.

hope this information helps, and take care mima.

Wow, sounds good! I couldn't find them anywhere (googled), so I'll be looking for them to return to HSN or show up somewhere else. I'll be watching for reviews too.

Thanks again.

Mima

adoreqvc1288210702.855469 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

anytime mima, and i hope when coby releases to everyone you can order it, and it proves to be a great item.

please post if you get it, and thanks in advance mima.

Mr savy1288239318.2431 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010

I wonder will QVC get this Coby 7" LCD Touchscreen Tablet with WiFi and Apps in? I also seen it on HSN by the time I got on the phone to order they sold out like it was Halloween candy. I can not find this product anywhere. Can someone help?

thalmy1288261571.0172276 PostsRegistered 8/31/2009
On 10/27/2010 Mr savy said:

I wonder will QVC get this Coby 7" LCD Touchscreen Tablet with WiFi and Apps in? I also seen it on HSN by the time I got on the phone to order they sold out like it was Halloween candy. I can not find this product anywhere. Can someone help?

As I stated in an earlier post. HSN was the only vendor I could find. I guess everyone will just need to wait for it to come back there. Meanwhile, you could do periodic google searches to see what comes up.

I suspect HSN probably has a lock on it for a period of time since they did the world launch. As fast as it sold out. I'm sure it will be back.

Thom
Forever in our hearts.

Damitas1288264525.0175 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

When I Googled I found these links:

HSN but page is Cached so this what the page last looked like before it sold out.

Youtube video, looks as the person is testing a video game.

This person is giving a review, their's just arrived. Right now doesnot seem to be much info.

Gabby651288265645.81710 PostsRegistered 1/27/2008

I just bet every major retailer will have some type of tablet on Black Friday!

Can't wait to see what comes! I'm happy with an e-ink reader but wouldn't mind a tablet to play with if the price were right.

Nanna G1288355359.21317 PostsRegistered 10/8/2009
Received my Coby Thursday and love it!!!!! It looks like a small black bible. Out the box connected to my wifi.The screen is very responsive,NICE. I have downloaded Photobucket, Pandora,Backgrounds, Bible,Bejeweled, Better Keyboard, Astro File Manager,Kindle for Android, Photoid Pro, Picsay Pro, The Weather Channel, Facebbook. Movies, music, and games play great, Youtube plays well also. So happy I was able to get this. It fits right in my purse.So now I have the Cruz Reader, Pandigital, and the Coby. The coby is the best. Off to experiment some more :)

mima1288355666.23314673 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Does anyone remember what the battery life is supose to be?

I'll be watching for more info. If anyone sees these available again, please post and I hope I see it. I'll try to check HSN now and then to see if they are available and to also read reviews.

Thanks for the info.

Lucky you Nanna G.!

Mima

bossmama1288387220.24314 PostsRegistered 5/7/2009

Paging Nana G or anyone who can help me. I downloaded Better Keyboard, somehow I enabled it to another language by mistake. I uninstalled it I think.{#emotions_dlg.confused1} But the tablet is still using this language for everything. I tried calling the customer service number, they are so busy now you have to wait for a call back. I guess my question is how do I set tablet back to English. Other than this user error I am loving it, can almost understand this unknown language, just kidding I want English back. Thanks in advance for any help

Nanna G1288412623.6317 PostsRegistered 10/8/2009
Bossmama,Have you fixed it ? Settings>Language &Keyboard>Select Locale. Sorry for late response, I've been playing around with this thing all day.

bossmama1288416582.6314 PostsRegistered 5/7/2009

Hi Nanna G, Thanks for your response, just happen to check before going to bed.

I haven't fix yet. Nanny G how do I find Settings you are talking about. Everything on menu is in a really strange language{#emotions_dlg.lol}. Thanks again for all your help.

Nanna G1288435028.02317 PostsRegistered 10/8/2009

Bossmama,

In landscape mode hit the M,then a row will pop up at the bottom, the last icon from the left is the settings button (click that one). Then scroll down to the 9th line, that will be language and keyboard (it is right below the magnifying glass icon)click on language and keyboard. Then the very first line will be select locale, click that one, then scroll down to line 6, and select english.

karenloves­teddi1288458453.4537 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010

OK, I got this two days ago and am still trying to get it to do what I want. If you're hoping for Netflix on it, it won't work, can only upload to your queue. Netflix does not yet support Android, though rumours online make it sound as if they are working towards a goal to have it. I tried connecting it to my Samsung DLP 50" hdtv via the included HDMI cable. I followed the instructions to a T and it didn't work. I can get my laptop to hookup, so I do now how to do it. It just says 'no signal'. Tried turning everything off,turning on and hooking up in their sequence, and still no go. Battery lasts about 3 to 4 hours with a lot of use, more if it's in standby. Like to get a car charger too, not sure if I can. No 'trash' on screen. Had to download an app to delete files or books, that worked to some extent, but one of the books I deleted still shows on the book app, just the jacket, when you click on it there's nothing there so I have to figure out how to delete the last part of it (the picture of the book). The calendar does not edit. I have tried numerous time and it just says 'oops, android has a problem' or something like that. It doesn't stay connected to my wireless internet, I have to go back and find it again every time I leave it for awhile. So, I am thinking about returning it but I think I will wait for the ONE customer service guy to call me back to see if I can remedy these things. Love the book reader, love the size, love the apps, love the idea of it, but I really wanted a usable calender, and was excited about netflix. IF you want netflix folks, you'll have to get an IpAD.

bossmama1288458953.7814 PostsRegistered 5/7/2009

Nanny G

Thank You. Your instructions were perfect.I am back to English. Could not have done it without you. I have not received a call back from Coby yet. They must be really busy. You might just end up being their new spokeperson{#emotions_dlg.laugh}.

karenloves­teddi1288461468.037 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010
On 10/30/2010 karenlovesteddi said:

OK, I got this two days ago and am still trying to get it to do what I want. If you're hoping for Netflix on it, it won't work, can only upload to your queue. Netflix does not yet support Android, though rumours online make it sound as if they are working towards a goal to have it. I tried connecting it to my Samsung DLP 50" hdtv via the included HDMI cable. I followed the instructions to a T and it didn't work. I can get my laptop to hookup, so I do now how to do it. It just says 'no signal'. Tried turning everything off,turning on and hooking up in their sequence, and still no go. Battery lasts about 3 to 4 hours with a lot of use, more if it's in standby. Like to get a car charger too, not sure if I can. No 'trash' on screen. Had to download an app to delete files or books, that worked to some extent, but one of the books I deleted still shows on the book app, just the jacket, when you click on it there's nothing there so I have to figure out how to delete the last part of it (the picture of the book). The calendar does not edit. I have tried numerous time and it just says 'oops, android has a problem' or something like that. It doesn't stay connected to my wireless internet, I have to go back and find it again every time I leave it for awhile. So, I am thinking about returning it but I think I will wait for the ONE customer service guy to call me back to see if I can remedy these things. Love the book reader, love the size, love the apps, love the idea of it, but I really wanted a usable calender, and was excited about netflix. IF you want netflix folks, you'll have to get an IpAD.

OK, more to add. I tried to put my SD card in from my samsung 12.2 megapixel digital camera. This camera is about 6 months old. It's a 4 gig card. The tablet shows the pics but will not show the video. Just the sound for the video. I tried changing from HD to composite output (which shouldn't matter, but tried anyway) and it didn't change it. Then, I tried to take my 8 gig card out of my canon fs30 camcorder, which is also about 6 months old. This has both video and pics on it. Guess what, didn't work for that card either. Getting very disgusted with all of this. Maybe it cannot read the bigger cards very well, but that doesn't make sense since you can use a card for storage and memory. I am very confused. I hate to return this, I really wanted it to do everything they said it would on hsn, and maybe I'm just dumb, but this is very frustrating. If anyone can help with these problems, please post here. Thanks

karenloves­teddi1288461929.8377 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010

I also just tried hooking up my camera all by itself via the usb port and nothing happened. I think the usb port on the kyros is only for mouse or keyboard use. I don't think it work like a usb port on a laptop or pc. Hope someone can help me with these issues. Wish that coby had a cs department, not just a 'guy' that 'will call me back in an hour' and never bother to do so.

karenloves­teddi1288461930.7877 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010

I also just tried hooking up my camera all by itself via the usb port and nothing happened. I think the usb port on the kyros is only for mouse or keyboard use. I don't think it work like a usb port on a laptop or pc. Hope someone can help me with these issues. Wish that coby had a cs department, not just a 'guy' that 'will call me back in an hour' and never bother to do so.

ALTECHNET1288473390.06725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA
I am the one who was testing it out KYROS with the 3D Demo Game with G-Sensor YouTube. The issues right now with this tablet is the fonts and icons are not showing correctly for 16:9 at 800x480. More like 800x480 at 4:3. Apps are limited or just basic. There is no file manager making it hard to access any data. I had to use the AppLIB program to download and install the File Manager. Rotation seems to stick or at times Rotates in one position then switches to the next one while being in the same position you had started off with.
This is also aka X5A been around but we have the latest version that offers G-Sensor. Out of the box the unit only supports 720MHz and not the 800MHz. It could go to 800MHz but then you suffer from the battery decrease and to make it go it would need to be rooted. This would void the warranty. I've also tested ePad, Pandigital Novel / Rooted Tablet Hybrid and AuGen Gentouch 78. Only the ePad would stand out the other two I would avoid. I do have Walgreen's Maylong M-150 suppose to get here but going on a second week. I don't expect that to be as good as the KYROS and more like the ePad at 300MHz.
One important feature that should have been installed would be Google Market, Google Maps, Google Mail, Google Voice but as you can see it's not on this tablet. If you search on google for powerelite you will find more info on this tablet and the rest I've mention here.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

ALTECHNET1288473643.68725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

Really they told you that! Not a good sign already for support. HSN gives you until January 31st 2011 to return the tablet. But the support is what counts. I don't think Coby has taken into the fact to have factory trained CS help desk to support this tablet.

AS for your issue. No you can't do it that way. YOu have USB Host Port for wireless gear and USB port to connect to a PC for data transfers. It has a mic but no Cam/Video Cam.

Last edited on 10/30/2010

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

Nanna G1288477104.44317 PostsRegistered 10/8/2009

Ok, just got back from BestBuy. Picked up the M-EDGE Executive Jacket for NOOK in pebbled purple Took the unit out of the black case, and put in purple case. The fit is perfect and it looks gorgeous and classy.

karenloves­teddi1288499226.0537 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010
On 10/30/2010 ALTECHNET said:

Really they told you that! Not a good sign already for support. HSN gives you until January 31st 2011 to return the tablet. But the support is what counts. I don't think Coby has taken into the fact to have factory trained CS help desk to support this tablet.

AS for your issue. No you can't do it that way. YOu have USB Host Port for wireless gear and USB port to connect to a PC for data transfers. It has a mic but no Cam/Video Cam.

thanks for the response. I didn't think the USB would work that way, but thought I'd try. I know it doesn't haev a camera/video camera, but I was hoping to take my SD card out of my camcorder and play it on the kyros or take it out of my digital camera and view on the Kyros. The camcorder didn't work at all, only played sound. Didn't work for the digital camera SD card either. My son has an old digital camera with a really small SD card so I thought I'd try that. Then, it somehow found pictures that had previously been deleted from that camera and uploaded those to the Kyros. Seriously. No joking. Then, my son put the card back into his camera and guess what? All his pictures were gone. It corrupted the data on the SD card somehow. He took 6 more pics with the camera on the now empty SD card and it would only hold 6 and then said it was full. I guess it was full of the pics that the Kyros resurected, even though they couldn't be seen. He was pretty upset to loose all of his data. I also played with the calender for another hour and still cannot edit any data on it and there is no usable app to download in the app library for a calender. After all this frustration and headache, I have decided to return it and give this technology another year or so to get with it. If you only want a book reader, it works good for that, although I didn't see thousands of books on their app like HSN said there was. You can browse the web with it. I was not successful in installing my email client. Couldn't hook it up to my HDTV, couldn't make it read my SD cards, couldn't run a calendar...maybe I have bad luck, but want to share for others out there considering this. I'll save more $ for an ipad I guess! That has drawbacks too though (i.e. no usb and no hdmi port from what I understand) but still I can watch netflix and I bet the calendar works and it isn't on an android system. Later all, good luck!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next