Give Gorgeous
121 Members and 12688 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

IF YOU BOUGHT PANDIGITAL TSV please read; re YouTube and Netflix

Started 1288025258.873 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1293831723.923 by ladyPA

When you get this device you will NOT be able to watch video on YouTube or Hulu as it does not support the Flash format. PERIOD. This information comes directly from PanDigital.

The following statement regarding watching Netflix in the FAQ and repeated by the rep during multiple presentations is NOT TRUE:

"Q: Can you watch movies from NetFlix?
A: You can download content from Netflix in the supported MPEG4 file format and then watch it on the unit. You can watch the movies direct from the SD card. The Novel doesn't support live streaming from Netflix's site"

First, NetFlix allows ONLY streaming, you cannot download movies/video from NetFLix, you can ONLY STREAM. NetFLix does not even have an Android Client app to allow NetFlix to be watched on ANY Android based device although it does have one for the iPad and iPhone. Rumor has it they are shopping for someone to develop one, it is not going to happen soon.

This information comes directly from PanDigital and directly from Netflix.

But, if you are bound and determined to use this item for watching YouTube Video, or want to add Android apps you can download the PanDigital Android Open Platform Kit to your Novel from here:

http://www.pandigital.net/android

You will need to scroll clear to the very bottom of the page.

However, if you do this it will void your PanDigital warrantee and you will no longer be able to get customer support for the device from PanDigital, but it will allow you not only to watch flash video but utilize many other Android apps. This information comes directly from PanDigital.

Rethink this item while you can, but as it stands you can only watch video transferred from your computer, in MP4 format, such as home video.

Page 1 of 2
rogan1288025886.6972168 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007

That's good info, IDA. If someone bought the PD TSV for teens, they will be unhappy with no YT and no streaming. There will be loads of new tablets released by year's end from many manufacturers and hopefully the"perfect" one will appear in that group.

My non-negotiable tablet wish-list includes a USB port, multi-tasking capabilities, Flash, a camera & a 7" size. IPad fails on all these "wants" for me. I'd also love a Kindle app to be able to sync with my K3. (I think Amazon will offers Kindle apps to all tablet makers.)

Idacat1288027246.8334707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Rogan- at least one person bought this ONLY for their son to watch his YouTube videos. And "somebody told them" you could.

I bought one but am not bothered, it will still work as an ereader and mini websurfer for my 8 yo grandson.

My husband bought one at 11:50PM (a funny scene, I made him set up his own account) because he already has another 7 inch tablet and was po'd that you cannot access the Android App store and add apps with it. You can't with anything but an Android based cellphone, apparently Android is married to cellphones and never thought these little tablets would be an issue. He will probably also keep his and utilize the experimental open platform, support be darned.

Shorty2U1288049208.3414951 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

I figured this wasnt as big of deal as they were pushing, and thats why I didnt buy it. Because I am aware of what these small things do and dont do. (its ashame for people who are fooled by this) Yeah yeah you can surf the net, and email (big deal), but you can do that on your cellphones. Mostly, on these "little less expensive gadgets" you can never play games with flash and all like on Facebook or do things you think you can. So for me, I am sticking to my laptop which does everything online and my kindle for books, which I love. (until technology brings big things in smaller packages..lol).

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

BREEZYBEAR1288053072.8333106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007

IDA THANKS FOR YOUR POST,IT WAS VERY HELPFUL.

Idacat1288056238.9034707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/25/2010 BREEZYBEAR said:

IDA THANKS FOR YOUR POST,IT WAS VERY HELPFUL.

I'm sooooooo glad you saw my post, I was afraid you wouldn't, and, in truth, I posted it especially for you.

I feel the rep and QVC misrepresented this product and I am not happy. Neither is PanDigital who couldn't believe that bit about NetFlix is in the FAQ.

Idacat1288056438.4934707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/25/2010 Shorty2U said:

I figured this wasnt as big of deal as they were pushing, and thats why I didnt buy it. Because I am aware of what these small things do and dont do. (its ashame for people who are fooled by this) Yeah yeah you can surf the net, and email (big deal), but you can do that on your cellphones. Mostly, on these "little less expensive gadgets" you can never play games with flash and all like on Facebook or do things you think you can. So for me, I am sticking to my laptop which does everything online and my kindle for books, which I love. (until technology brings big things in smaller packages..lol).

It will happen.

And, the experimental Android Open Platform for the PanDigital will allow Flash.

My husband is going to try it, so I'll keep you posted.

It seems to me that presenting a product correctly and not implying or stating that it does what it won't is a uch better strategy than lying about it, yanno?

debc1288111712.152765 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

I'm pretty sure that they are just reading the script that the company gave them.

Cheese with that whine?

Idacat1288136558.8374707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/26/2010 debc said:

I'm pretty sure that they are just reading the script that the company gave them.

The hosts are but the rep should know what he or she is talking about.

And, this was clearly misrepresented (re Netflix) in the FAQ on the item page.

Misrepresentations is misrepresentation.

The FAQ was not provided by PanDigital; it was written by QVC, PanDigital was less than impressed also. They pulled itup and loooked at it while I was on the phone with them.

On the other hand, I AM impressed with PanDigital since I called CS and ended up talking to engineering.

And BreezyBear,her husband called QVC to be sure it could view YouTube, that was specifically why she wanted it; QVC CS took it upon themselves to say yes instead of finding out.

I still don't get where the Netfilx thing came from, No Android based device works with Netflix, they have no Android client app.

Last edited on 10/26/2010

Last edited on 10/26/2010

Last edited on 10/26/2010

millieshops1288137478.84315142 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I didn't buy the TSV just because right now I really can't figure out why I need so many devices in my life. I have the laptop I'm writing on right now - and I love it because it works well and it's already paid for. I know readers are a big deal, but since money is a true issue for, I know that at least for a few more years I can find "real" books free at my library or for next to nothing at thrift shops and yard sales. By the time I have to change to a reader maybe I'll be able to make some sense of what the d**n things do and why.

In the meantime, my local newspaper (you know - paper and ink!) ran an article rating e-readers on Monday. They gave the best ratings overall to the Kindle - but not to the $139 model, so, no, I'll no longer be accepting posts from here telling me I can get everything I want for only $139. I understood perfectly well what I can get for that, and I'd always want to spend more. But until I have an extra $200 or so (with taxes), I'm going to continue to read the old-fashioned way.

I sort of understand all OP's info about the streaming, etc. but I don't imagine myself caring ever. One of the sad things about getting older for me is that I need the screens to be larger if I want to watch. Smaller is just not okay, but I suspect for the younsters among you, it's a big deal. Glad someone is giving out the info.

Idacat1288144835.374707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/26/2010 millieshops said:

In the meantime, my local newspaper (you know - paper and ink!) ran an article rating e-readers on Monday. They gave the best ratings overall to the Kindle - but not to the $139 model, so, no, I'll no longer be accepting posts from here telling me I can get everything I want for only $139. I understood perfectly well what I can get for that, and I'd always want to spend more. But until I have an extra $200 or so (with taxes), I'm going to continue to read the old-fashioned way.

Before you decide to listen to the newspaper find out the difference between the $139 and $189 Kindle and maybe save yourself some money. The difference has nothing to do with how well these devices read books, only to how you download books. I have a wifi network at home and have no intention of downloading books at the beach or outside of my wifi or where I can get wifi. Nor do I use my Kindle to surf the net The only people who need to spend the extra money are the ones who want to use 3G cellphone networks outside of wifi areas to download books or access the internet. And, shipping is free and unless you live in Washington State, Amazon does not charge sales tax.So, $139 is $139 and $189 is $189. You really don't sound like the 3G type, so I am pretty sure you can get all you want, or need for $139.

EM71288147940.4631917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009
On 10/26/2010 Idacat said:

Before you decide to listen to the newspaper find out the difference between the $139 and $189 Kindle and maybe save yourself some money. The difference has nothing to do with how well these devices read books, only to how you download books. I have a wifi network at home and have no intention of downloading books at the beach or outside of my wifi or where I can get wifi. Nor do I use my Kindle to surf the net The only people who need to spend the extra money are the ones who want to use 3G cellphone networks outside of wifi areas to download books or access the internet. And, shipping is free and unless you live in Washington State, Amazon does not charge sales tax.So, $139 is $139 and $189 is $189. You really don't sound like the 3G type, so I am pretty sure you can get all you want, or need for $139.

I do not live in Washington and Amazon charges me sales tax, as of a few years ago. I do not know which states require Amazon to charge sales tax, but at least one other one does.

debc1288151529.552765 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 10/26/2010 EM7 said:
On 10/26/2010 Idacat said:

Before you decide to listen to the newspaper find out the difference between the $139 and $189 Kindle and maybe save yourself some money. The difference has nothing to do with how well these devices read books, only to how you download books. I have a wifi network at home and have no intention of downloading books at the beach or outside of my wifi or where I can get wifi. Nor do I use my Kindle to surf the net The only people who need to spend the extra money are the ones who want to use 3G cellphone networks outside of wifi areas to download books or access the internet. And, shipping is free and unless you live in Washington State, Amazon does not charge sales tax.So, $139 is $139 and $189 is $189. You really don't sound like the 3G type, so I am pretty sure you can get all you want, or need for $139.

I do not live in Washington and Amazon charges me sales tax, as of a few years ago. I do not know which states require Amazon to charge sales tax, but at least one other one does.

My understanding is that if they have any business affiliation in the same state you have to pay sales tax.

Cheese with that whine?

Idacat1288155928.154707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Third party sellers may charge tax. Amazon direct doesn't unless they have a physical presence in your state.

Idaho shares a border with Washington; I've never been charged tax.

QVC is 2000 miles away, they charge everyone tax.

Idacat1288156034.334707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 10/26/2010 EM7 said:

I do not live in Washington and Amazon charges me sales tax, as of a few years ago. I do not know which states require Amazon to charge sales tax, but at least one other one does.

They should charge you tax just on general principles{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

bonnielu1288175800.9275823 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

My Pandigital was on waitlist. I ordered it that way on purpose to give me more time to check it out. I cancelled and am grateful to this board for having meaningful discussions on products. I am going to hold and wait for one that has all the features I want. If they are not going to be totally truthful I am not going to buy.

rosie031288176441.86725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

Hello, I want to put in my two cents worth about the Kindle. I have the $139 version. It is wonderful. My house is small and cannot hold any more books so I went to e reader. If you want to read books. have a dictionary and hold it comfortably then this is the model for you.

knitlady0371288187695.2438 PostsRegistered 12/29/2008

Amazon charges tax for items sent to New York.

EM71288188095.6471917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009

deleted

Last edited on 10/27/2010

Last edited on 10/27/2010

EM71288188389.3371917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009
On 10/26/2010 Idacat said:

Third party sellers may charge tax. Amazon direct doesn't unless they have a physical presence in your state.

Idaho shares a border with Washington; I've never been charged tax.

QVC is 2000 miles away, they charge everyone tax.

Wrong. (so what else is new?). From Amazon.com's help pages:

-------------

Orders Subject to Sales Tax

The amount of tax charged depends upon many factors, including the identity of the seller, the type of item purchased, and the destination of the shipment.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.

For sales tax purposes, electronically delivered products (e-books, e-documents, and electronically delivered software) are considered to be shipped to your credit card billing address.

No sales tax is charged when purchasing gift certificates; however, purchases paid for with gift certificates may be subject to tax.

----------------

Last edited on 10/27/2010

bonnielu1288190114.4835823 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Amazon does not charge me tax in Maryland so I prefer to buy from them. I am sooo wanting a Kindle but I am waiting. I hate buying something only to find out five minutes later there is an updated version.

I really would like to have a phone that does it all. Cannot find one so far.

pgdark191288216282.93155 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004PA

I just got the new Kindle from Amazon a few weeks ago....they didn't charge me sales tax and I live in PA

BREEZYBEAR1288544885.4633106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007
On 10/25/2010 Idacat said:
On 10/25/2010 BREEZYBEAR said:

IDA THANKS FOR YOUR POST,IT WAS VERY HELPFUL.

I'm sooooooo glad you saw my post, I was afraid you wouldn't, and, in truth, I posted it especially for you.

I feel the rep and QVC misrepresented this product and I am not happy. Neither is PanDigital who couldn't believe that bit about NetFlix is in the FAQ.

thanks ida,i appreciate it.i have to see if im keeping it.sat least i have till jan 31 to see if anything better comes out.

Sebashchun1291877756.7236 PostsRegistered 11/17/2006

isn't this string supposed to be about the Pandigital tablet? suddenly it's turned into a debate about sales tax. Please people. Stay on topic.

latingodde­ss1292812993.0715 PostsRegistered 12/19/2010
Actually u can watch all youtube videos TO here u just need TO be computer literate u nef TO install a "apk." N u will have access TO youtube as well as download all youtube videos into ur pandigital may i suggest using jetvd.apk then u wont have n.e problems

Idacat1292813649.5934707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 12/19/2010 latingoddess said: Actually u can watch all youtube videos TO here u just need TO be computer literate u nef TO install a "apk." N u will have access TO youtube as well as download all youtube videos into ur pandigital may i suggest using jetvd.apk then u wont have n.e problems

No, the PanDigital I posted about is not the one on today nor is it the 9 inch it is another model, item number E166660 that was the TSV 10/23/10. You cannot add apps to that one.. I spent about an hour on the phone with Pan Digitital ENGINEERING to find this out after QVC had touted video capability on air all day long.

And, I'm quite computer literate, thanks, you have a problem, but it is with basic literacy; we don't speak textspeak here, u, and you didn't realize there have been three Pan Digital TSV's in the last two months.

No apps can currently be added to the PD to which I referred; I have no clue which one you have.

Don't you mean "app", not "apk"? Your url gets me to a "webpage cannot be displayed"

Last edited on 12/19/2010

Last edited on 12/19/2010

Page 1 of 2