Better Than Black Friday
107 Members and 17090 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Update taking FOREVER to download???

Started 1265941344 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1265990374 by BEgal4life
replies
I have a windows download taking absolutely forever to happen!
It started yesterday, when I checked the progress it would say 1 %, two hours later...2 %.
I shut down at night, like always and today it has been on all day, and the progress is at 11 %.
What the heck is it and why, for goodness sake is it taking so long?
Anyone else experience anything like this????
TIA
--
~Live Well~Laugh Often~Love Much~

~*LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH*~

Page 1 of 1
mzprincess1265945653411 PostsRegistered 3/22/2009
I have never had a windows update take that long to download. What update are you downloading?
--
Don't wake me I'm thinking.

LaterGator126594578510272 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
There's something wrong. It should not take that long. What kind of internet connection do you have?
--
I don't know what else to say

flycatcher­91012659502511575 PostsRegistered 10/5/2008
Hi BEgal4life,
That doesn't sound right. Updates shouldn't take that very long to install.
I don't know what operating system you have--what it can be doing is "catching up" and installing several updates on your computer at one time if it is taking this long, if something has happened if some updates perhaps have been deleted. That's a possibility?
When Windows does an automatic update, it scans your computer and downloads updates for your particular operating system.
You can check your Windows update history by going to your Windows Start button in the lower left-hand corner of your computer. Then click on Control Panel. You should see a choice for Windows Update. You should be able to see your Windows Update history.
You can also go to the Windows website directly, and check there. Your computer will be scanned, and your history will show up that way, too. You can find out what the various updates are all about, too.

gardenman126598183617207 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey
Service packs can take a while to download if you haven't been doing routine updates, but that seems excessively long even for a big service pack on dial-up. I'm thinking something went wrong someplace.
--
Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

barbados126598204714405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
Service Packs shouldn't take long at all to download if you have cable. Even if you have dialup it shouldn't take as long as it's taking now. There is definately something wrong.

BEgal4life1265984491994 PostsRegistered 3/16/2006Jersey Girl
Thank you everyone!
Well, I went directly to the microsoft site last night and updated there. It did say parts of the download failed, but it was my bedtime so I shut down and went to bed. This am it says it is finished and I need to reboot. We will see what happens.
I have DSL through Verizon. It never took this long before. (I am on automatic updates, so it should be current) I am wondering if that little (or not so) trojan/virus I had the other week may have disabled security updates somehow? This update showed quite a few of them as part of this download. Komando site this morning sent an email saying part of February's microsoft updates was presenting problems in some XP operating systems producing a blue screen issue. The fix for that is a system restore point. Now I am half afraid to reboot!
Well, we will see what happens....as soon as I am finished running a-squared to see if it finds any other problems first!
Thanks to all who have responded! Will update as soon as I figure this out.
--

BEgal4life1265990374994 PostsRegistered 3/16/2006Jersey Girl
All finished. Went to the site and finished dl'ing it there. Everything seems fine now, and yellow shield I've been looking at for two days is now gone!
Thanks all! =)
--

Page 1 of 1