Top Rated on Easy Pay
149 Members and 11688 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

Dooney patent leather bags

Started 1332502360.133 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1333195487.237 by Beckron

Hi Ladies,

I'm considering the patent east/west shopper in cherry. Does anyone here have Dooney patent bags and if yes, has the bag held up with use? Link to the bag below. tia

http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=56644

Page 1 of 1
Westiegirl1332507235.6175288 PostsRegistered 1/24/2008

I have had no problems with my Patent Satchels and Continental Clutch, Dogwalker. They are midnight blue and black. I love them! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

However, there was a report of the patent peeling or flaking that D&B was unable to repair. I believe that the color of the bag was red. I don't know if this was one bad bag or a problem with patent itself.

HTH

Sue

"I'd rather regret the things I've done, than the things I did not do."

lavenderju­nkie1332507312.82712956 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't have the patent leather handbag you are looking at.... but I have 3 Dooney patent leather handbags.

Dooney makes (or they did in the past) 2 different kinds of patent leather, plus a 'fabric' (man-made material) patent that wasn't leather.

2 of the handbags I have are a soft patent leather. One of the handbags is a firmer, more structured patent leather with a more glass like finish. I think the softer patent leathers wear better. They don't show as many marks as the patent leather has a slight grain/texture. The one with the more glass like finish tends to show scratches more easily.

But I don't think the patent leather is a durable alternative. It's fine for light use, but I don't think it's a good leather for a tote or a handbag that gets a lot of use. The finish on the patent leather is fragile.... one of mine has marks from being in the same room where a few droplets of perfume mist landed on it by accident. (the finish is eaten away). Also I think that with heavy use the finish will wear away in stress areas (like corners). With a regular leather these won't show as much, and maybe can be camouflaged, but with patent leather, it's very obvious when that happens.

nantucket ­shore1332512664.565610 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

I owned 3 and I'm down to 1....had to trade the other 2 in because they were not acceptable to carry anymore (in my opinion). I did not have any peeling, only visible signs of wear especially on all corners...and when the wear shows (patent gone) you only see white.

Dooney could fix this issue by adding some type of ornamental corner protectors and feet.

The lemon yellow patent was carried for a full summer and signs of wear were definitely there. The other one was a bubblegum pink and that one lasted 2 full summers of wear before the signs of wear appeared. I also saw some staining too but I have no idea where I could of gotten that....that appeared on both the pink and yellow bag.

I love the patent but after 3 bags, I just can't justify buying another one only to be heartbroken that I have to turn them in.

On a side note, I'm sure if you change out your bags you'll see a longer life on any given bag due to limited use.

Dogwalker1332626541.8665 PostsRegistered 11/6/2004

Thank you Ladies. The bag is one of the softer patent leathers. I know TLC will be needed if I purchase it. A local store has the bag for less than the price listed on the Dooney site.

Thanks again

luvmyteddy1332627176.568449 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

I have 7 patent leather bags which I love. I do have the cherry which is a beautiful red. Mine are all crossbodies but I have worn them quite a bit. I have 4 pocket satchels with handles and 3 margot bags. I will wear a bag for a week and then change out but I see no sign of any peeling and mine are knocked around by the seat belt and always grabbing and twisting the bag over my head and shoulder.

I never pay full price so that helps.

Beckron1332631706.3971893 PostsRegistered 3/10/2011Florida

Even the patents in the Dillards counter in pink and white are peeling, maybe it's Florida humidity I don't know, but mine peeled and cracked. They have had them marked down for weeks and can't sell them. Dooney couldn't repair my cherry satchel and wouldn't send another one and just sent me a refund gift card. I loved it, but it didn't hold up.

I only carried it for about two months once a week. If you are going to buy one they are half off at the outlet and they have every single piece.

ctinaw1332632831.1171532 PostsRegistered 3/7/2005

Agree with what another person said - I don't feel patent is appropriate for something you think you might use often. I'd think a tote might be something you would? I'd only get patent for like an evening bag or something I'd gingerly carry around - and not often.

TeachRsPet1332638570.22841 PostsRegistered 11/29/2009

I actually own this bag in the cherry! I was lucky enough to score it on sale at Macy's for $168. LOVE it!! It is the most beautiful shade of red. I wear in every day. No problems at all!

Dee in OK1333161155.107357 PostsRegistered 3/30/2012

On the 6th of February, I purchased (directly from Dooney, not QVC) the pocket satchel in fuchsia patent. It is just gorgeous. I didn't start carrying it until two weeks ago, and in that two weeks, only used it about 6 times. The rest of the time, the bag is hanging on a hook in my large master closet. Just tonight, I took it with me to the store and a lady complimented me on my bag. I pulled it around to the front of me to show it to her a little better and noticed two of the corners have already peeled. The corners of the bag are now white - not fuchsia. I felt sick when I saw that. I love the color, patent finish, and style, but $268 is too much to spend for a bag that starts peeling and looks worn after carrying it six times. I will contact Dooney on Monday morning and ask them what they can do about this. I soooo wanted this bag, but I'm sick about it peeling.

Beckron1333195487.2371893 PostsRegistered 3/10/2011Florida
On 3/30/2012 Dee in OK said:

On the 6th of February, I purchased (directly from Dooney, not QVC) the pocket satchel in fuchsia patent. It is just gorgeous. I didn't start carrying it until two weeks ago, and in that two weeks, only used it about 6 times. The rest of the time, the bag is hanging on a hook in my large master closet. Just tonight, I took it with me to the store and a lady complimented me on my bag. I pulled it around to the front of me to show it to her a little better and noticed two of the corners have already peeled. The corners of the bag are now white - not fuchsia. I felt sick when I saw that. I love the color, patent finish, and style, but $268 is too much to spend for a bag that starts peeling and looks worn after carrying it six times. I will contact Dooney on Monday morning and ask them what they can do about this. I soooo wanted this bag, but I'm sick about it peeling.

I'm sorry I know how this feels. Get ready to pick out a new baby. Be sure they refund your shipping costs too. They will give youa gift card for the $268 and send you a check for the shipping.

Page 1 of 1