Guaranteed Delivery
96 Members and 18488 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

Peeling leather on Hobo Lock bag

Started 1324055329.223 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1324360927.833 by baginista

I ordered the Dooney Logo Lock bag in leather and received it two days ago. Been waiting on the Saddle Tan color so when I saw that it was now available I jumped on it. I have wanted this bag for over a year, but I have never spent that much on a bag ever. Then I noticed flaking or peeling on a small spot on the front of the bag. There is white showing in those spots. Also I can feel a small scale like piece of leather moving around when I try to make it go away. My question is will it just get worse? I know I can or should return it but after reading these forums I have learned that some people are getting returned bags or some are getting ones that have a bad smell. Mine was perfect and I am afraid to try another bag or exchange not knowing what condition the bag will be in. Would a new color choice wear better than the Saddle Tan? Really like this bag and wanted to enjoy it, but now I just am not sure what to do about it. I thought that all of the Dooney leather was drum dyed but don't think so now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
Amour Mes ­Bijoux1324056250.6272294 PostsRegistered 12/2/2004Near The Ocean

If you are talking about item number A203807, I have it in brown and been wearing it for about a year. Still looks great and nothing like you mentioned.

I'd ask customer service to send you a new one with a return label for your as it is defective.

Bling Bling

stevieb1324057671.2931794 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

If you're talking about the natural color, it appears to be in stock. In fact all the colors appear to be... If that's the color you want, I'd return it and get another. If the color you want isn't listed on the product page, you might consider returning it anyway and either selecting another color or waiting until the color you want shows up. This bag has proven to be a staple, so I sort of doubt it'll be discontinued. The bag is sort of costly to receive in less than perfect condition, especially if you think the flaw will get worse, or that it will bug you every time you use it... If it's minor, you think it won't get worse and you'll get past it, then it might be worth keeping, otherwise, I'd probably opt to try again... Good luck...

akani1324057846.8573 PostsRegistered 12/5/2011

Yes it is A203807 I was going to try the brown, but waited on the Saddle Tan. I guess the brown would be a color that I could wear all year long but really I am not sure if it is. I am not good with fashion. I did read something about the navy peeling somewhere and also the natural I think. Don't think I found anything yet about the brown or black doing this but I need to read more to be sure I guess. I could wait till Jan 31st and see what it is going to do as far as the peeling. I have waited so long for this bag and not ready to part with it yet. Any other item I would have returned it right away with no doubts.

stevieb1324058516.61731794 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

There's no color swatch, but it's also showing available in the saddle tan... That should mean you can return it as defective (on their dime) and get another without waiting for it to come in stock...

BernieH1324059141.307807 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007

Just goes to show that EXTRA expensive doesn't always mean EXTRA quality. There are flaws

lavenderju­nkie1324063986.4813329 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If your handbag is defective.... returns it. Every time you look at the bag it's going to bother you. The flaky piece will probably come off, leaving a bigger white spot. And there will be no way for you to hide it.

anniebear1324264094.69689 PostsRegistered 3/1/2009

I bought that same bag in the dark brown when it was first offered and sent it back because the leather felt like it was sort of "puffed up" and I was afraid it would separate and start to do just what you described. The weight of the metal hook on the face of the leather was my concern. Also, the dark brown wasn't a "t'moro brown" as described but more of a "mud" color. I've got several other Dooneys constructed with other very sturdy leathers and they all have a total different feel to them. Wasn't comfortable paying that much for something made of a leather that felt like it had been overprocessed to make it soft and maybe weakened in the process. If your bag is defective I'd send it back and get another of the same color if you really love the bag. You could even order the second bag and not send the original one back until you are sure the replacement is a good one. If not, I'd send them both back and get another style.

JoyJ1324266155.4076792 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010California

That bag is far to expensive for you to not be completely happy with it. As someone else said, everytime you see that flaw it will nag at you. Send it back as defective and get another bag. You paid too much for that bag to be anything but over the moon happy with it. I have that bag in the navy and it is my go to, all time favorite bag.

Good luck and I'm sorry you received a flawed bag.

nancypoo1324266772.3231413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

By far, the easiest thing to do is to place your order for a new bag, then later return the first bag. At least you won't get the same bag BACK!

newlawgirl1324267364.2332999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010

akani, I had this bag in navy and I just *adored* it. Then I noticed that the leather on the handle was peeling. After a lot of debate, I decided to send it back instead of exchanging it and got my money back. Before the handle on my navy began to peel, I had received the bone color in this bag as a gift. Although I was nervous about it, I decided to keep it and have been pleased that it has lasted and I have had no problems at all. I can't fault you for wanting to the return the bag but if you love the bag and want to try it in a different color, I would suggest doing so. With hindsight I'm thinking I just got a bad bag and had I exchanged it, the new bag would likely have been fine. Now that I've seen how well the bone bag has held up, I'm even thinking of getting this bag in the grape color since I have a portofino wallet in grape that would match beautifully.

Good luck!

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.

MSA20041324304422.8134675 PostsRegistered 8/3/2010Midwest, USA

I would call QVC Customer Service, describe the DEFECTIVE BAG and request FREE RETURN SHIPPING and a REPLACEMENT purse.

I don't care if you paid $10, $200 or $1000 for your purse. If it is DEFECTIVE, you should return it and get what you paid for.

Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!!!!

stevieb1324308969.20731794 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
On 12/18/2011 nancypoo said:

By far, the easiest thing to do is to place your order for a new bag, then later return the first bag. At least you won't get the same bag BACK!

Good thinking! Now that you mention it, that's surely what I'd do...

baginista1324360927.833642 PostsRegistered 3/8/2009

I got this bag when it first appeared on Q in the saddle tan. The leather is odd and I don't think its very durable. On my bag it is wearing in a few spots where white is showing through--and I havent carried it all that much--maybe a full month of use in total over the last year. I wouldn't repurchase this bag--even though I love it. The leather is weird--puffy as previously described and wears poorly.

Page 1 of 1