Handbag Clearance
125 Members and 11473 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

Cancer Warning on a Dooney?

Started 1309358961.167 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1309381512.01 by SarahW
replies

I bought a D&B wristlet with a CA Prop 65 warning about "cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm." Please enlighten me as to what this is all about. This is the first time I've encountered such a warning, and to think it's on a wristlet?! How is it causing reproductive harm? I mean, it goes on the wrist, not, well. . .

Anyway, how is it that a wristlet would have this warning? Is the finished product that dangerous that it warrants a warning?

TIA

Page 1 of 1
qvcfan5261309359580.3631054 PostsRegistered 3/14/2007Work

My boss was ready to buy one at Macys when she checked the label inside and it said Beware could cause cancer (or something similar). Wow!

upallnight11309360504.7833882 PostsRegistered 3/21/2005the frozen tundra

That warning is not just on Dooney bags. It's on any bags, vinyl or leather, that use a dye that contains harmful ingredients. I have often seen babes over their mom's shoulder. While mom is patting their back, the baby, unknowingly to the mom, is chewing on a the handbag strap. That I would worry about.

Skin is an organ, so, technically, the dye can be absorbed through the skin, but I usually carry my handbags over a shirt. It's nice to know the warnings and be informed. I remember when they put them on diet soda. One study said if a person ingested 800 cans of diet soda a day, there is a high likelihood of getting cancer. But, it's like roulette. Someone could get cancer drinking the first can, or the second can or the third can. Also, we are exposed to all sorts of toxins everyday. Dark hair dye is also a known carcinogen. One toxin could change one cell and cancer cells mulitply faster than healthy cells. If we eat a lot of antioxidants, reduce stress, get enough sleep, our healthy cells will gobble those cancer cells before they can spread. It's just information that we can use. Just keep those straps away from teething babies and puppies. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

edited to add: not all states have warnings on the bags. It's a state by state ruling.

Last edited on 6/29/2011

Last edited on 6/29/2011

upallnight1

hot pink, sunshine yellow, nectarine, flamingo, hemp, crimson, tortoise jewelry...happily anticipating these upcoming Linea colors!

aprimo1309360644.561756 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

That's just silly, of course you aren't going to get cancer from a Dooney wristlet!

This subject has come up many times here and I believe the consensus is that the warning is due to the brass hardware. Brass contains minute traces of lead, which is what triggers the warning. But the brass is sealed, and it's not as if you're going to eat it anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. Just to be on the safe side though, I wouldn't let your baby or your pet use the brass hangtag as a chew toy.

SarahW1309360869.3516135 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

It's required by California laws...almost EVERYTHING in CA that has any type of chemical has the warning label (dyes, metal, paint, etc.) Here's a previous thread on the issue..

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Dooney-Bourke/topic/154625/dooneys-cancer-warning-tag.aspx

New Leaf1309360988.42810 PostsRegistered 8/19/2007

That's interesting. I thought maybe it was the coating. This one is coated cotton, but I had never categorized it as PVC or anything like that. I stopped carrying KVZ bags when all the warnings about PVC and lead came out.

New Leaf1309361145.883810 PostsRegistered 8/19/2007
On 6/29/2011 SarahW said:

It's required by California laws...almost EVERYTHING in CA that has any type of chemical has the warning label (dyes, metal, paint, etc.) Here's a previous thread on the issue..

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Dooney-Bourke/topic/154625/dooneys-cancer-warning-tag.aspx

Thanks for this link.

rsimon92281309381382.1332290 PostsRegistered 3/13/2007

You have to be kidding!! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} No offense to any CA people here - but sometimes I think CA wants everyone to live in a bubble..

SarahW1309381512.0116135 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/29/2011 rsimon9228 said:

You have to be kidding!! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} No offense to any CA people here - but sometimes I think CA wants everyone to live in a bubble..

Yep.

Attention California Residents:
As a retailer selling or distributing products in the State of California,
Dooney.com must comply with the California law known as Proposition 65,
which requires that products containing certain chemicals be labeled to
notify consumers of the presence of such chemicals.

Some of the hardware and zipper on this product are made from solid brass,
the same material used in many kinds of jewelry, keys, doorknobs, and fine
goods. Solid brass typically contains traces of lead. The brass in this
product is plated or lacquered and sealed to minimize contact or interaction
with skin. Nevertheless, because lead is present, we are required to give
the following warning by the State of California.

California Proposition 65 Warning:
WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, OR BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.

For more information about Proposition 65 visit the Office of Environmental
Health Hazard Assessment and for a list of elements listed under Proposition
65 visit: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/Newlist.html

Page 1 of 1