Shoes & Handbags Offers
168 Members and 12806 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

How To Tell if Fake?

Started 1305745984.377 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1305996911.133 by Breea

I saw a red draw string in a Thrift store today. It has the real leather and duck oval on it. But inside it is not lined just red suide leather. No marking inside or pockets. I was looking for a reg # but none. It is a nice bag. Did they make them like this?

I did buy a DB white bag with the Letters DB spelled out , stars and a duck The zipper is in different colors teeth. Very good shape just a little messed up inside. I can clean that up. Got it for $12.12!!!

Was looking for a small table!

Thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 1
Islandgirl­70321305746598.0212846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

kitty, early Dooneys did not have registration numbers nor a lining. The inside of the bags was just the suede side of the leather that the bag is made of.

ETA: Here's a link to a site that will help determine an authentic Dooney

Horsekeeping.com

HTH!

Last edited on 5/18/2011

Last edited on 5/18/2011




NHkvs1305746966.954428 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010New England Coast

Older bags did not have any cloth lining just leather. It should however, have some sewn in tag in red, white and blue, sewn into the seam, that says "Made in the USA" if it's an older "Vintage" Dooney. Someone may have cut it out, but there should be some frayed edges.

You could call Dooney and describe the bag, and ask is it was a style they ever made as well. Even take a cell phone photo and email it to Dooney! If you have doubts, I would be cautious myself! I did buy a bag at a thrift store that I thought was a Vintage Dooney 6 years ago for $5...and was a fake....a VERY GOOD ONE!! It even had a fake tag!! Smile-Karen

....but not every older Dooney has a tag either, but I'd still want to check before I bought!! But $12.12 is not a bad error...and it probably is a Dooney, and a great FIND!!!! You may be a *very* lucky "duck." {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 5/18/2011

Last edited on 5/18/2011

NHkvs

Islandgirl­70321305747722.19312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

1981-1982 bags did NOT have sewn in tags. Look at the site I linked to above.

ETA:

  • Very early bags (1981-1982) have no sewn in cloth tags. The first sewn-in tags (1983-1984) were fairly large green rectangles sewn flat into the bag that said: Dooney & BourkeDB (in the stylized backward D and a B) Made in USA.

    Since 1985 or 1986, the red, white and blue tags were sewn as tabs inside the bag in conjunction with a seam. They say:Dooney & Bourke, Inc.Made in USAand they have a registration number on the back.See further notes about this tag below.
Last edited on 5/18/2011

Last edited on 5/18/2011




Islandgirl­70321305747903.2812846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

Also, Dooney will not authenticate a bag over the phone, they will tell you that you have to send it in to them to be inspected before it can be authenticated.




NHkvs1305748648.774428 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010New England Coast

Yellowkitty-I sent my "fake" Dooney to CT. It surly fit all the criteria....but it was a fake none-the-less. Leather lining, no tag, sew on Duck logo...and even looked like a bag I had used as a trade-in before. I don't think we at home can tell a REAL fake until Dooney sees it! I have all the literature on Dooney's...but people intent on making fakes are really good! {#emotions_dlg.sad}

NHkvs

cinebee1305752368.9776471 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

One sure sign of a fake that I've noticed on older style bags they used to sell as "knock-offs" was that the handles were not removable. The flaps with the stud that attached the handles to the bag were stationary and could not be "unbuttoned".

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

marey1231305817494.23323 PostsRegistered 5/18/2011

There should be a leather strip with a ring hanging on it along the top on the inside of the bag. The serial tag is located under this in the drawstring vintage bags, unless it's really old. It can be hard to find if you don't know where to look.

luvmypupz1305822660.3234991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore
On 5/19/2011 marey123 said:

There should be a leather strip with a ring hanging on it along the top on the inside of the bag. The serial tag is located under this in the drawstring vintage bags, unless it's really old. It can be hard to find if you don't know where to look.

I just looked at a Dooney I have that is maybe 12 or so years old and it does have the leather key ring holder strip and the cloth tag under that. No style number though.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

mountaincat1305826801.14210 PostsRegistered 5/19/2011

HI, I've been reading these various forums on QVC for years, so you all do not seem new to me, but I realize I am 'new' to you, so, HI!!Smile My old internet device wouldn't let post, but I just purchased this new laptop so I hope th is post comes out ok, because I'm still learning. Anyway, the reason I am posting in this thread is I have an experience to share about 'fake' Dooneys. About 2 years ago, I was in a local thrift store and bought what I thought was a Dooney. It needed some work so I took it to two different leather repair shops, I felt the price was too high for what needed to be done, so I put the bag in a pillowcase in the bottom of my closet until I saw the thread on here about 'trade-ins'. I thought, this is perfect, so I packaged it up and sent it to Dooney. Well, to my utter chagrin and embarrasment, they told me it was a fake!! I was flabergasted. I really didn't know that much about Dooneys as I had only purchased one before that at the Q, but, still, I wondered if Dooney thought I was trying to pull something with them.

The thing is, I live in a small mountain town 100 miles north of Phoenix. Its a totally different world from down there. (I don't know why my font just changed, must have hit a key, don't know how to fix) anyway, most people up here never even go down to Phoenix, (traffic, crime, heat, gas usage, all sorts of reasons) these people up here are nice people.(not that people down in 'The Valley" are not, dont get me wrong) The lady who sold me the bag was a volunteer, the thrift store supported local women and SHE thought the bag was real too. I paid way too much for it seeing as it was a thrift store, but, whatever, it is what it is... About a week later, I got a letter in the mail going on about 'counterfeiting is a serious problem' and I should demand a refund at the shop and file a complaint to the state's attorney generals offfice!!! {#emotions_dlg.huh} I thought I was going to faint, really. I moved away from the East Coast 10 years ago, and I guess I've just gotten used to the easy going trusting ways of the these sweet people up here, so the letter rattled me. I called Dooney and left a message on the persons voicemail, which, after reflecting on it, might have seemed or come across more.....I don't know, upset or aggressive than I would want it to be, but my main message was that all the items sold in the shop are DONATED,mostly, anonymously so there would be no way to know especiall after 2 years. I have, and I'm sure the shop would have, no idea how that bag made its way to that little shop in a small mountain town 2 years ago, does this make sense?

So, did I overreact? I still want to send another bag to them (that I bought at the Q) for trade-in, I wonder if I have a 'flag' on my file, 'troublemaker. Hope not!! Geesh, what a week!!

Nice to be able to reveal myself after all this time, enjoy you all!

yellowkitty1305846903.573967 PostsRegistered 10/1/2006va

Thank you everyone! And Islandgirl,thank you for the link.

I think the red bag is a fake. The duck oval is on the other side than the draw string. No inside lable but the leather strip with the ring is in the inside and no label.

I know the little white bag is real.

I also sent a bag in and it was a fake ( Got at Goodwill) Really felt like a dupe!!!!!

I wonder how many they get sent in that are not real?

Islandgirl­70321305847288.91712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

You're welcome!

I think you're right....if the duck insignia is on the opposite side of the bag than the drawstring, it's probably a fake.

Dooney wouldn't make a mistake like that.




NHkvs1305856438.4334428 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010New England Coast
On 5/19/2011 mountaincat said:

HI, I've been reading these various forums on QVC for years, so you all do not seem new to me, but I realize I am 'new' to you, so, HI!!Smile My old internet device wouldn't let post, but I just purchased this new laptop so I hope th is post comes out ok, because I'm still learning. Anyway, the reason I am posting in this thread is I have an experience to share about 'fake' Dooneys. About 2 years ago, I was in a local thrift store and bought what I thought was a Dooney. It needed some work so I took it to two different leather repair shops, I felt the price was too high for what needed to be done, so I put the bag in a pillowcase in the bottom of my closet until I saw the thread on here about 'trade-ins'. I thought, this is perfect, so I packaged it up and sent it to Dooney. Well, to my utter chagrin and embarrasment, they told me it was a fake!! I was flabergasted. I really didn't know that much about Dooneys as I had only purchased one before that at the Q, but, still, I wondered if Dooney thought I was trying to pull something with them.

The thing is, I live in a small mountain town 100 miles north of Phoenix. Its a totally different world from down there. (I don't know why my font just changed, must have hit a key, don't know how to fix) anyway, most people up here never even go down to Phoenix, (traffic, crime, heat, gas usage, all sorts of reasons) these people up here are nice people.(not that people down in 'The Valley" are not, dont get me wrong) The lady who sold me the bag was a volunteer, the thrift store supported local women and SHE thought the bag was real too. I paid way too much for it seeing as it was a thrift store, but, whatever, it is what it is... About a week later, I got a letter in the mail going on about 'counterfeiting is a serious problem' and I should demand a refund at the shop and file a complaint to the state's attorney generals offfice!!! {#emotions_dlg.huh} I thought I was going to faint, really. I moved away from the East Coast 10 years ago, and I guess I've just gotten used to the easy going trusting ways of the these sweet people up here, so the letter rattled me. I called Dooney and left a message on the persons voicemail, which, after reflecting on it, might have seemed or come across more.....I don't know, upset or aggressive than I would want it to be, but my main message was that all the items sold in the shop are DONATED,mostly, anonymously so there would be no way to know especiall after 2 years. I have, and I'm sure the shop would have, no idea how that bag made its way to that little shop in a small mountain town 2 years ago, does this make sense?

So, did I overreact? I still want to send another bag to them (that I bought at the Q) for trade-in, I wonder if I have a 'flag' on my file, 'troublemaker. Hope not!! Geesh, what a week!!

Nice to be able to reveal myself after all this time, enjoy you all!

mountaincat-Nice to have you posting!!! I don't think you're "flagged" at Dooney! I have a bag to send in for a trade in-among too many...that has all the right tags and such, but it feels like a fake to me...it just does. I'll know when I send it to Dooney. But right now I don't need another handbag for quite a long while!!! My last 2 Florentine satchels should last me for a good long time.....then there are the others...oh my! Time to do some donating again!! Smile-Karen

NHkvs

mountaincat1305912052.123210 PostsRegistered 5/19/2011

NHkvs, thanks for the welcome, I appriciate it. I'm still getting used to this new puter so my posts might be sparse at first, but I love handbags (and jewelry) so I'll be around from time to time.

pupcakes1305943034.4721307 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
On 5/19/2011 mountaincat said:

HI, I've been reading these various forums on QVC for years, so you all do not seem new to me, but I realize I am 'new' to you, so, HI!!Smile My old internet device wouldn't let post, but I just purchased this new laptop so I hope th is post comes out ok, because I'm still learning. Anyway, the reason I am posting in this thread is I have an experience to share about 'fake' Dooneys. About 2 years ago, I was in a local thrift store and bought what I thought was a Dooney. It needed some work so I took it to two different leather repair shops, I felt the price was too high for what needed to be done, so I put the bag in a pillowcase in the bottom of my closet until I saw the thread on here about 'trade-ins'. I thought, this is perfect, so I packaged it up and sent it to Dooney. Well, to my utter chagrin and embarrasment, they told me it was a fake!! I was flabergasted. I really didn't know that much about Dooneys as I had only purchased one before that at the Q, but, still, I wondered if Dooney thought I was trying to pull something with them.

The thing is, I live in a small mountain town 100 miles north of Phoenix. Its a totally different world from down there. (I don't know why my font just changed, must have hit a key, don't know how to fix) anyway, most people up here never even go down to Phoenix, (traffic, crime, heat, gas usage, all sorts of reasons) these people up here are nice people.(not that people down in 'The Valley" are not, dont get me wrong) The lady who sold me the bag was a volunteer, the thrift store supported local women and SHE thought the bag was real too. I paid way too much for it seeing as it was a thrift store, but, whatever, it is what it is... About a week later, I got a letter in the mail going on about 'counterfeiting is a serious problem' and I should demand a refund at the shop and file a complaint to the state's attorney generals offfice!!! {#emotions_dlg.huh} I thought I was going to faint, really. I moved away from the East Coast 10 years ago, and I guess I've just gotten used to the easy going trusting ways of the these sweet people up here, so the letter rattled me. I called Dooney and left a message on the persons voicemail, which, after reflecting on it, might have seemed or come across more.....I don't know, upset or aggressive than I would want it to be, but my main message was that all the items sold in the shop are DONATED,mostly, anonymously so there would be no way to know especiall after 2 years. I have, and I'm sure the shop would have, no idea how that bag made its way to that little shop in a small mountain town 2 years ago, does this make sense?

So, did I overreact? I still want to send another bag to them (that I bought at the Q) for trade-in, I wonder if I have a 'flag' on my file, 'troublemaker. Hope not!! Geesh, what a week!!

Nice to be able to reveal myself after all this time, enjoy you all!

Hi mountaincat. I think we are close to being neighbors. I live in the white mountains. I haven't been to Phoenix in over two years, hate it. I go to Flagstaff a couple of times a year to shop. Anyway, I have about 15 vintage Dooney's from the 80's & early 90's. When I see one in a thrift or consignment shop I pay special attention to the stitching, it's a dead giveaway on a fake. Also if there is not a tag sewn in I pass. Mine are all in great condition and I always get compliments.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

pupcakes1305943223.99321307 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
On 5/18/2011 cinebee said:

One sure sign of a fake that I've noticed on older style bags they used to sell as "knock-offs" was that the handles were not removable. The flaps with the stud that attached the handles to the bag were stationary and could not be "unbuttoned".

Don't you just love the removable handles? I had to pay $40 extra for the shoulder strap to attach.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

mountaincat1305946067.55210 PostsRegistered 5/19/2011

Oh, PinkSugar, the White Mountains are beautiful! My husband and I took a drive one time all the way from Payson to Hannigans Meadow and stayed the night, magical! Love Flag too. We moved over here to 'Preskitt' for my husbands job, so I miss the lush green forests over your way. I like it here too, so no complaints.

Anyway, Dooney sent the bag back to me even though I just told them to keep it, so I took another look at it and I must be a dummy on Dooneys because it STILL looks 'real' to me. Except for the lining, plain black material billowing out and not affiixed or even tacked down at all. It seemed odd at the time, but I remember thinking maybe the bag was old and thats how they used to line them. Duh! Nice to know I can learn something new everyday.

pupcakes1305990742.13721307 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
On 5/20/2011 mountaincat said:

Oh, PinkSugar, the White Mountains are beautiful! My husband and I took a drive one time all the way from Payson to Hannigans Meadow and stayed the night, magical! Love Flag too. We moved over here to 'Preskitt' for my husbands job, so I miss the lush green forests over your way. I like it here too, so no complaints.

Anyway, Dooney sent the bag back to me even though I just told them to keep it, so I took another look at it and I must be a dummy on Dooneys because it STILL looks 'real' to me. Except for the lining, plain black material billowing out and not affiixed or even tacked down at all. It seemed odd at the time, but I remember thinking maybe the bag was old and thats how they used to line them. Duh! Nice to know I can learn something new everyday.

I live in Show Low, haven't been to Hannigan yet but go to Greer all the time. Hope to see you here a lot.

If you love the purse carry it

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Breea1305996911.133791 PostsRegistered 11/6/2007

I feel we have to be very careful when purchasing items. Sometimes, a sales clerk can even take in a "fake" as a store return. I purchased a bag at TJ Maxx as a gift for my daughter a few years ago. She decided she'd rather have something else but since she doesn't live by me, by the time the purse would have been back to me the 30 days at TJ's for returns would have expired. I told her to send this bag into Dooney as a trade in. Well, it was a FAKE! I did turn it in to the store manager and sent a copy of Dooney's letter to my Attorney General's office. I then sent copies of what I had mailed and names of who I had contacted in a letter back to Dooney. I know TJ Maxx was fined millions a few years back for fakes. I think even buyers can be fooled sometimes. I only purchase expensive items now at Nordstrom, Macys, Dillards, Bloomies and the Q. I like purchasing from reputable retail establishments that will take returns for a longer period of time in case this happens to me in the future. Also, my best friend bought a Michael Kors handbag at TJ Maxx. The handle broke after about 40 days. They wouldn't accept a return or store credit. She found out Nordies and Macy's were refunding the money on these bags sending them back due to defective strap problems so the dollars she saved at TJ's weren't dollars saved!

Page 1 of 1