Handbag Clearance
123 Members and 12100 Guests Online

Denim & Co

Question about color transfer on black denim jeans

Started 1314379552.03 in Denim & Co | Last reply 1314624257.43 by Reiss1980

I just got THESE A15875 in black denim. When I looked at the washing instructions, I noticed a tag that said the darker color might transfer. It didn't say this will go away once they're washed. I've had black denim jeans, but I've NEVER seen a tag that told me to be aware of color transfer. I've just bought a few of these jeans for the first time, but now I'm worried. Does this mean I can't wear a light colored T-shirt or jacket with them? What do you all think?

Page 1 of 1
nancypoo1314380639.341413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

I think you wash them twice. On the second wash, if the water is still dark---send them back!

mima1314380931.74713893 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Wash in cold water and add vinegar to your wash water. Dry them or hang to dry (whatever you normally do). Rub something white (and old) on them. If you get black coming off wash them again and retest. Do this as much as needed until the black keeps coming off or send them back.

You will get that black dye on your car seats, on the tops of light shoes, on your handbags, etc.

Mima

Subject1314381093.51711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

any dark denim clothing item you have- wash with a cup of white vinagar. This will set the color/ dyes in the garment and no bleeding. It always works for me. I do it before wearing it always.

beach-mom1314381257.048929 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

Thanks for all of your help! I usually do wash my darks separately the first time, then I wash them WITH darks all of the time, but I never worry about color transferring. And it never has!

Shelbelle1314382954.39732808 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Try washing in cold water, gentle cycle, turn inside out, and use Woolite Dark. Wash alone first time, then after that you could add a Shout Color Catcher to the wash.

nomless1314390975.2874077 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I, too, do the vinegar wash until there is no more color bleeding. Sometimes it takes 3-4 washes, but it does do the job of setting the color.

banjo1314396602.5474988 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Nebraska
On 8/26/2011 newport said:

any dark denim clothing item you have- wash with a cup of white vinagar. This will set the color/ dyes in the garment and no bleeding. It always works for me. I do it before wearing it always.

I've heard this before but never have tried it. I just bought a new pair of indigo jeans and I will try it. Thanks for reminding me of this.

You can tell who the strong women are, they are the ones building each other up, instead of tearing each other down!

kiddo1314397906.95310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 8/26/2011 banjo said:
On 8/26/2011 newport said:

any dark denim clothing item you have- wash <em>with a cup of white vinagar.</em> This will set the color/ dyes in the garment and no bleeding. It always works for me. I do it before wearing it always.

I've heard this before but never have tried it. I just bought a new pair of indigo jeans and I will try it. Thanks for reminding me of this.

I don't use only a cup of white vinegar. I liberally pour several "blubs" -- many cups -- of it directly from the vinegar bottle into the washer as the washer is filling with water.

I buy the large bottle of vinegar. From the Dollar Store. Keep it in a bag on the floor right next to my dryer.

Wash the jeans inside out. Always. I don't know why that matters to keep the color from leaving the denim, but it does.

Wash the jeans in whatever temperature the care tag in the jeans says.

If you like, you can also put some laundry soap in the first load along with the white vinegar. Doesn't keep the vinegar from working.

However, I always do the first wash with only vinegar. Then, after the jeans have gone through the rinse cycle and spun themselves dry, I put those same jeans back through a full laundry cycle, except this time with both a LOT of vinegar as well as a little laundry soap.

Dry the jeans at whatever temperature the care tag in the jeans says. My jeans' tag says to dry them on "low," so I do. Even though it doesn't make any intellectual sense to dry them on "low," I do. I just need to dry them for a longer period on "low" than I would at "medium" or "high."

BTW, if I ever hung my jeans to dry, it would take days. Literally. I tried it a couple of times. It took 3 or 4 days for them to drip dry. That's why I do use the dryer.

==============

NOTE -- I once had been wearing for the first time a pair of new dark blue denim jeans when although they had already -- twice -- been washed-with-vinegar-in-the-water -- before I wore them, they rubbed some dark blue on a coral-dyed leather, cross-body Stone Mountain minipurse that had been brushing against my hip as I walked.

Eeek!

I didn't notice that until I was at the local Jaycee Pennaze. So, I immediately went to their Purse Department to ask if they sold a leather cleaner for me to use on that purse. Showed my now (what I thought was permanently) damaged coral-colored leather purse. With a palm-sized blotch of dark blue on it where it had been tapping against my hip.

She told me that all I needed to do was this --

** Wipe the leather purse's surface where the blue stain had appared with a scent-free, PRE-moistened Baby Wipe.

Doesn't matter the brand of baby wipe. Just that it's pre-moistened. (and for some reason that I still can't fathom -- unscented)

I stopped at a grocery store on the way home to find some baby wipes. Bought their store brand. Pre-moistened, yes. Unscented, yes. Cheaper than the name brand baby wipe -- LOTS!

As soon as I paid for them, I opened the box of pre-moistened baby wipes. Pulled a couple out. Wiped my purse with it.

It works!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Snoopy dance 3

-- think about it. Leather purses are made of animal skin. Baby bottoms are skin.

Pre-moistened baby wipes work also to clean my glove leather Tig. And the leather surfaces on my 2-year old Rykas that I wear constantly when it rains which is much of the year. So you KNOW that my Rykas have gotten really dirty on top. The pre-moistened, store brand baby wipes made them very white again. Gotta luv it!

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

banjo1314400898.764988 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Nebraska

Great tip about the baby wipes! Thanks.

You can tell who the strong women are, they are the ones building each other up, instead of tearing each other down!

Reiss19801314624257.3938218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}No problem.. I wash my blacks and dark blue denims together in a cold wash with Woolite for dark clothing. never had a problem with color transfer. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

Page 1 of 1