TSV(R) Preview
92 Members and 10207 Guests Online

Candles

Has anyone developed an allergy to burning candles?

Started 1333232518.273 in Candles | Last reply 1333912866.86 by stevieb
replies

This is weird. I have been burning candles for years and not had a problem. A few weeks ago I picked up a rose scented candle at TJMaxx. I could not stand to burn it, it was so strong and burned my eyes. So then I got a Yankee candle (hydrangea scent) and lit it today, and I cannot stand to have it burning either. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Page 1 of 1
Snuggle-Bu­nny1333232843.336879 PostsRegistered 7/2/2008In My Flower Gardens in Beautiful PA

Yes, I have this problem with soy candles and some wax candles. I think they produce oil vapors - I liken it to spraying perfume in my eyes! It happens every time. I guess I'll stick to the battery operated candles. Good luck!Smile

Don't give up five minutes before the miracle. . . . .

Pixie Jo1333234281.9773511 PostsRegistered 7/4/2009

Certain perfumes will set off my allergies, but so far I've been okay with burning candles. Incense does aggravate my allergies though.

Pixie Jo

lunamarz_311333776698.227805 PostsRegistered 9/30/2009

Yes and I just noticed it recently. Lit up a Lavender Chamomile candle from BBW and it smelled so strong I started getting headaches and felt suffocated. And it had only been burning for 15 min. If it smells that strong for me, I can imagine how it is for my dog...

jesuschick1333816322.331545 PostsRegistered 3/20/2008Kansas City, MO

Apparently my DH and one of our dogs. Both were sneezing and DH was also sniffling. I tried switching from Yankee to soy from etsy sellers. No better.

Tried a Scentsy warmer and all is good again. I did discover that he can have no "pink" types, "noel" types nor musk. Easy enough. I melt bakery scents, fruit scents, laundry scents and vaniila/marshmallow scents and everyone is happy!

LabLuver1333910425.443888 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009Ohio

I used to be a fan of Yankee Candles, among others and I have allergies and asthma. Back in the day, the candles didn't bother me but somehow the formulation or chemicals involved must have changed because most candles now will make me wheeze. I love having scents in the home but just can't do it anymore. Made the mistake of buying a plug in warmer at BBB and within 15 minutes I was wheezing. They seem to be exceptionally strong. Too bad because I love the fragrances.

What the caterpillar thinks is the end...the butterfly knows is only the beginning.

millieshops1333911439.44715102 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

From someone who had a candle burning for hours and hours every week, I've become someone who burns only battery-operated candles in the house.

I still have some of my stash of burners, but I use them outside. When they're gone, I'm switching totally to batteries. Easier, safer, more comfortable.

I almost can't stand to walk past the candle shops in the malls any more because of the aromas and the chemicals.

SerenityNo­wMyndi1333912264.377668 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Yes, after I developed a condition called, "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity" (MCS). This condition is usually progressive, as the body loses the ability to detoxify all the different chemcials. For instance, the skin is said to absorb up to 60% of whatever you put on it, including perfume & lotions--and any chemicals in them, of which there are a ton. You can try reading up on MCS for some tips & pointers. I'm not saying you have this condition, I'm just suggesting you might find some helpful info to learn what might be your specific allergic triggers. For me, it is musk, mold, mildew, bleach, things like moth balls or those toilet cleaner things that sit in the tank (like 1,000 Flushes, for example) or one biggie, new car odors from the glues they use to put everything together. I got so ill with our new car that I couldn't travel in it even locally for 1 entire year, and that was after leaving windows open, running the heater while the car sat out in the sun (per my doctor); everything. Just had to wait for the toxins to dissapte. Here we had a nice, new car--and I couldn't even go near it! What a drag that was. If I tried to use the car, I would get symptoms like the flu (stinging/watery eyes, congestion, runny nose, itchy & sore throat, itchy ear canals, body aches & pains, severe cough, laryngitis, even chemical pneumonia).

These allergies or intolerances are said to get more sensitive over time than to improve, so you'll want to find out what your triggers are and stay away from them as best you can, in order to prevent it to progress to a worse state with more allergic responses every time you turn around--if you were to have or develop MCS. I started out just being allergic to some perfumes. Now years later, I seem to be allergic to much, much more.

I find that some things trigger it for me, and some things don't. But for the most part, I try to avoid artificial chemicals as much as I can, except for those days when I really, really want to have a perfume on--then, I will chose one that doesn't give me a headache or other symptoms. If I were to wear it every day for a year or so, I would likely develop toxicity to it and no longer be able to wear it.

As for candles, I can't tolerate scented candles, either real or battery-operated. But I can use certain scented wax melts, such as balsam. I can't use others, such as a new one I wanted to try, mango-citrus. Ah, shucks.

Hope that info helps you figure things out. Good luck!

stevieb1333912866.8629900 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I don't know that I'd say I've developed an allergy, but I have a long history of chronic allergy and sinus problems and there came a point where I could no longer tolerate scented candles and I especially can't tolerate those scented plug-ins or those awful scent boxes that many public building, especially those stupidly built with windows that don't open, have that sprtiz out a scent every so often, in the effort to convince us that the air quality isn't as dreadful as it usually is...

Page 1 of 1