Give Gorgeous
39 Members and 10217 Guests Online

Candles

Look what I found about soot free candles.

Started 1287552013.33 in Candles | Last reply 1288618510.597 by 1Piper

What does the EPA say about petro-carbon soot?

What we found out was shocking. We contacted the E.P.A. We knew if this "black film" was on our jars and on our walls it also must be in the air we are breathing. Yuck! What was it?

The E.P.A reports that paraffin wax is refined gasoline, a byproduct of petroleum. Shockingly, paraffin is harmful when burned, emitting 11 toxins, 2 above the excess cancer risk!

Shocked & Astonished, my wife and I threw out all of our paraffin candles.
We enjoyed burning candles and knew there had to be a way to make healthy, soot free candles. This marked the beginning of our journey into the wonderful world of making candles.

Our Alternative To Toxic Paraffin Wax!

Unique Soy Wax Formulation . . . Headlines read "Students Invent Soy Wax Birthday Candles". Intrigued, I read further and learned of students at Purdue University touting the health benefits of Soy Wax. Soy wax is a clean burning wax that lasts longer than paraffin and of course creates soot free candles!

We bought some and then we worked and worked and worked. Thinking it would be easy, my first candles looked and smelled beautiful in the jar but burning them was not so beautiful. Trial, upon trail, working in our small kitchen, burning holes in our Formica countertops, melting cooking utensils we finally did it. After 2 years we developed a soy wax formulation that works.

Page 1 of 1
debc1287606544.6832765 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

I don't necessarily not believe it, but since it's on a site selling soy candles I'm skeptical.

Cheese with that whine?

julies1287626264.4131258 PostsRegistered 11/7/2007MA

Valerie Parr Hill sells soy candles and they are sooooo sooty.

Caffeina1287627840.5571884 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I used to make paraffin candles and am familiar with that site, as well as other sites that promote soy candles as "healthy" and somehow better than paraffin. It's all false advertising. I can burn any paraffin candle to the bottom without the jar turning black. I can make a soy candle turn the jar black as well.

Here's some information about candle wax from the National Candle Association, which is the major trade association representing U.S. candle manufacturers and their suppliers.

www.candles.org/elements_wax.html

GrannyDea1287631172.833981 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

Oh my, thanks a bunch. Yes, I too think that certain companies will promote their own product as being the best. Guess I didn't realize this was a soy company.

straitgirl1287677219.5421707 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

People that have been burning candles & tarts for years know that soy wax burns clean with no soot. I have been buying only soy for 8-9 years now.

carrob1287681418.3231816 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL

I decided to stop purchasing candles.....even though Slatkin is so hard to resist!

Made the switch to using 100% essential oils, I just put a few drops on a cottonball and put in bathrooms, kitchen, where ever I want to freshen the room, works well!

Sometimes I will use the essential oils in an oil burner, w/ a tea light candle....will continue until tea lights are gone, and that will be it for candle burning, besides flameless that is!

MOMOF2BOYS1287681956.39200 PostsRegistered 2/23/2007
On 10/21/2010 PinkSugar said:

People that have been burning candles & tarts for years know that soy wax burns clean with no soot. I have been buying only soy for 8-9 years now.

That is not true. I am a candle freak and have bought many brands of candles over the years. I recently bought some soy bean candles at Kohls the other day and the black smoke and soot from them was terrible. All brands burn differently, soy or not.

julies1287688885.0271258 PostsRegistered 11/7/2007MA
On 10/21/2010 MOMOF2BOYS said:

That is not true. I am a candle freak and have bought many brands of candles over the years. I recently bought some soy bean candles at Kohls the other day and the black smoke and soot from them was terrible. All brands burn differently, soy or not.

I agree MOM.

surprise_s­ometime1287718171.9671030 PostsRegistered 11/20/2009
On 10/21/2010 julies said:

I agree MOM.

Agreed.

Also just wanted to throw out this piece of info: I own a parrot, and due to their fragile respiratory systems it is advised that they NOT be in an environment in which candles are burning. Toxins in the wax and/or wicks which are released into the air can be fatal (canary in the coal mine, anyone?)

Since learning this, I have stopped burning candles in my household. I still purchase Slatkins due to the great scents but I just leave them uncovered. I figured if it can kill my bird, how good is it really for me to breathe in?

debc1287767558.8472765 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 10/21/2010 surprise_sometime said:

I agree MOM.

Agreed.

Also just wanted to throw out this piece of info: I own a parrot, and due to their fragile respiratory systems it is advised that they NOT be in an environment in which candles are burning. Toxins in the wax and/or wicks which are released into the air can be fatal (canary in the coal mine, anyone?)

Since learning this, I have stopped burning candles in my household. I still purchase Slatkins due to the great scents but I just leave them uncovered. I figured if it can kill my bird, how good is it really for me to breathe in?

I don't believe they've used lead in wicks for a very long time. Well not in quality candles made in the US. I've always burned candles in the same room as my birds, It would have to be really smoking to cause harm IMO. I can't imagine it's as bad as a fireplace given the small flames they put out.

Cheese with that whine?

mousiegirl1287772299.84714865 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

Some of Valerie's jar candles have the black soot in the jar, but I am a new fan of Swan Creek soy candles and there is no black, they burn beautifully.

doodlez1287772610.553596 PostsRegistered 12/22/2009

what do you guys think about the wickless ones, that come with the warmer and bars.

catwhisper­er1287774060.1573295 PostsRegistered 12/4/2009So.CA

Again, this is why I only use Candle Impressions flameless candles. No soot, no dirty walls or windows, no breathing problems.

happy face1287774106.6542 PostsRegistered 5/20/2008

I wouldn't be too impressed with soy candles. As a former Indiana "hick" and Purdue University grad, I know that most soybeans in the US are genetically modified Roundup Ready Monsanto soybeans. I try to avoid soy at all costs. Even foods labeled USDA Organic can still have genetically modified soy lechithin in it. As far as candles go, who knows what chemicals are leaching out into the air with soy or wax. Best solution is to avoid as many chemicals as possible. I'm living on the edge today burning my chocolate mint Slatkin.

TreeSaver1287774467.957385 PostsRegistered 8/30/2009USA
On 10/22/2010 happy face said:

I wouldn't be too impressed with soy candles. As a former Indiana "hick" and Purdue University grad, I know that most soybeans in the US are genetically modified Roundup Ready Monsanto soybeans. I try to avoid soy at all costs. Even foods labeled USDA Organic can still have genetically modified soy lechithin in it. As far as candles go, who knows what chemicals are leaching out into the air with soy or wax. Best solution is to avoid as many chemicals as possible. I'm living on the edge today burning my chocolate mint Slatkin.

I agree with you that it's best to avoid as many chemicals as possible. A friend told me that those plug-in air fresheners are dangerous in that they can damage your liver. I've had blood vessels break in my nose after smelling a strong cinnamon scented potpourri for a short time.

Mend and make do.

straitgirl1287774778.1521707 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
On 10/21/2010 surprise_sometime said:

I agree MOM.

Agreed.

Just to be clear I don't burn candles. I have been melting pure soy tarts. No smoke, no soot and I have 3 parrots. 11 years, 10 years & 16 years. They are in a separate sunroom.

robomo1287775593.8139442 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

The candles that I burn occasionally are soot free - never anything on the jars right to the bottom. They are Tyler and are FABULOUS!

winamac1287833467.6619053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

I love Tyler too Robomo! I find Yankees burn the worst--super dirty and tons of soot. Wood wick and Slatkins aren't as bad. i hate my sooty windows though from burning candles, and it can get on your walls!

Judaline1287834647.9415879 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

I knew all about this but I didn't know that paraffin is a derivative of petroleum. Do you know how many cosmetic creams contain paraffin? Plenty.

Also, aroma naturals are the best smelling essential oil candles anywhere. That slatkin guy? Why won't he list the ingredients in his diffusers? And it's true how dangerous the plug ins are. Most contain formaldehyde, a carcinogen. Aroma naturals has one, too. Fabulous. Costs too much and doesn't last long, though.

robomo1287947462.4239442 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

Win - I think Yankee has cheaped out the past few years. They seem to get less fragrance the more expensive they get. Tylers smell to the bottom of the bowl!

Hope you are having a good week-end. It's time for me to go to PetCo to do my volunteer thing - I clean the cat cages for a rescue group. Cleaning is incidental to the time I get to snuggle and play with the kitties! It's mega fun.

kelsey 031288120611.603781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

both types do the soot thingy. ive had breathing problems with both. yankee, slatkin and mainstays. i havent had a yankee candle in a few yrs bought a candy corn swirl this wkend very weak scent and plenty of soot. its probably more than the paraffin and soy causing issues. i believe the formaldehyde issue. that is an allergy many people have and dont know it they think its asthma and its not ..

Caffeina1288130706.051884 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/26/2010 kelsey 03 said:

its probably more than the paraffin and soy causing issues.

The fragrance oils are a major cause of problems for those sensitive to it. If you were to check the MSDS's for the oils you'd be surprised. Both paraffin and soy are from nature, but the oils used to fragrance just about all mass market candles aren't.

velvetlace­131288136112.497391 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006

Soy vs. Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin wax

Paraffin wax is refined from naturally-occurring crude oil, the product of animal and vegetable matter that has been locked inside the Earth for millions of years and refined into more useable products including fabrics, plastics, etc.

Soy wax is vegetable matter made from the oil of soybeans. A hydrogenation process converts some of the fatty acids in the oil from unsaturated to a saturated form. This chemically alters the melting point of the oil, making it a solid at room temperature. Most soy wax that is used for candles is not made in the United States; it is imported.

Soy’s “no soot” myth is #1. Soy sellers love this claim, but there is zero truth and much hype behind it. All organic compounds – including soy – emit some hydrocarbons (soot) when burned. This is due to incomplete combustion, as evidenced by the yellow-orange flame of any typical candle. There is simply no such thing as a soot-free candle.

Soy Wax

Soy wax

Soy wax does produce soot, and not all soot is black. “White soot” cannot usually be seen with the eye. Soy wax will typically produce little black soot - unless the candle is improperly wicked, made or burned, but it does produce nearly-invisible white soot.

All candles (and nearly any burning material) give off elemental carbon particles. So do heating systems, kitchen toasters and cooking oils. These everyday household sources are not considered a health concern, and are chemically different from the soot formed by the burning of diesel fuel, coal, etc. The myth of “soot free soy candles” is totally untrue. It is merely an effort by soy boosters to frighten the public.

Soy wax is much softer and denser than paraffin, and transmits light very poorly. Soy candles are notoriously dim and add little ambience to a room. Chemical additives are needed to make soy candles hold shape better, and in most cases, paraffin wax is still a much better material for many types of candles.

The National Candle Association has thoroughly researched this topic and provides the following statements:

• All waxes are primarily hydrocarbons, whether of animal, vegetable, or petroleum origin. The chemical composition of all candle making waxes is similar, and all candle waxes burn in the same manner.
  • No specific type of wax or wax blend is considered “best” for candle making. All waxes - when provided in high-quality format - have been shown to burn cleanly, safely and in the same manner.
  • No candle wax has ever been shown to be toxic or harmful to human health.
  • There is no such thing as a soot-free wax.

In the end, both paraffin wax and soy wax are both good choices for candle wax. Neither is more “environmentally friendly” than the other, and there has never been any scientific evidence that paraffin wax is harmful to your health in any way at all.

TreeSaver1288617253.72385 PostsRegistered 8/30/2009USA

So then what are the best candles to use? Or is it best to pick any fragrant candle and use a plug-in candle warmer so you don't have to burn them. I never worried about soot from candles, but then again, I don't burn them often due to allergies. My daughter gave me a Yankee candle in my favorite scent but I didn't notice any problem with soot.

Mend and make do.

1Piper1288618510.587997 PostsRegistered 7/29/2010NE Ohio

I have slight asthma and have never been able to use candles in my home, however I just purchased one from a home party Pink Papaya and I love it! The candle is soy based and has the slightest most pleasant scent, nothing harsh at all. They are really nice candles.

Page 1 of 1