TSV(R) Preview
94 Members and 13199 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

~ why do I keep searching??? ~

Started 1282251486.333 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1282321593.86 by kiki2

Ya' know .... I've got several foundations in my stash that I really like ... both mineral and liquid, and the "cake" kind (like MAC) .... they go on nicely, and they make my skin look good. But still .... I keep falling for all the "new" stuff ..... I hear or see an ad, and I think, "oh, that looks really nice ... think I'll try it."

Good grief! What in the world is wrong with me?

abby

<*)))><

Page 1 of 1
Sister Gol­den Hair1282252000.84313771 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

There is nothing wrong with you.....I think we all want the perfect make-up or the perfect jeans or the perfect hair products......on and on and on!!! Then all the vendors make you think that you can look like a movie star too!!! The big sell....perfect skin....the perfect foundation that makes us look natural!

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

VelvetBlack1282254967.773190 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007Queens, NY

I agree, there is nothing wrong with you. I do the same exact thing. I mainly use BE and have TONS of foundations in 3 different shades from kits and auto delivery, and I just switched again not only the shade, but the formula also. I now use Fairly Medium Matte. BUT YET, if I see a commercial on TV for a new foundation (even liquids) that will supposedly make your skin flawless (yeah, right), I fall for it everytime !!! That goes for mascara, primers, skin care, you name it. I could probably supply my whole neighborhood with BE foundation and all the others I have tried. It's an addiction !!

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
Laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

abbycat1282256679.474618 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007Maryland

You and me both Velvet ...... I could probably distribute a lip gloss to everyone of my neighbors and still have plenty for myself!!!! How many can one person possibly use???? I guess it's a better addiction that drugs or alcohol (isn't it???)

abby

<*)))><

Desi1282257924.76313389 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

Count me in as one of the afflicted, in a never-ending search for the perfect foundation, concealer, blush, and perfume, and I have the over-stuffed stashes to prove it.

So hope there is nothing wrong with you, because if there is, most of us have it too!

Desi

ladyroxanne1282258416.0610973 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

They are continually making advances in makeup and skin care so it only makes sense that we want to try new products as they come along.

I know I do{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

c_la_vee1282258425.391832 PostsRegistered 9/2/2009

There is nothing wrong with you, you are trying to see if the other products can top what you have.

Like the others have said, we all do it however, I'm on a makeup buying freeze at the moment because it was getting ridiculous.

Love2Laugh1282260176.144869 PostsRegistered 1/13/2005

Not a thing. I believe there is no "perfect" foundation out there for me. My skin is too temperamental. Some people find their "HG" in foundation, I just never have. Oh, don't get me wrong - I have "believed" in the past I had found it, but then eventually something stops working the way I need it too or I just to easily rushed into saying it was when it wasn't.

For me, I think foundation will always be something that I will never have as a holy grail item.

anitagayle1282260385.751274 PostsRegistered 5/20/2009

I suspect that most of us who read and participate on this forum are in the same boat. Isn't that why we're here, after all?WinkWink

formerly agbern

chickenbutt1282260679.13722648 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Ha! Sounds like me with concealers. I've tried scores and had to come to the realization, no matter how great the reviews and how many recommendations I read here and elsewhere, that NONE OF THEM cover dark circles. None of them. So, I am forcing myself to ignore every time I hear about another concealer that is supposed to be so great.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Brabls1282260825.4914740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

slow learner? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Sorry, I could not resisit. The devil made me do it.{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Last edited on 8/19/2010

Last edited on 8/19/2010

BellaNina1282268077.0585 PostsRegistered 2/22/2010
On 8/19/2010 anitagayle said:

I suspect that most of us who read and participate on this forum are in the same boat. Isn't that why we're here, after all?WinkWink

Yup, on the Titanic! Absolutely no hope for my make up addiction.

wackers1282268376.3876120 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007SW

I think other than those air brushing machines, there is no such thing as the perfect foundation. When I was younger, it didn't matter much because they all looked pretty darn good but as I have gotten older, I find they do less and less on the positive side. I use as little as I can of foundations now and stick with TM and BB bronzers~

GoodStuff1282269185.29713589 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I'm relieved to hear you ask the question! Every time I drop in to the beauty board I am amazed and wonder what in the world drives the ladies here to purchase more and more and more cosmetics. I'm perfectly OK with a simple foaming cleanser and moisturizer and a few drugstore cosmetics, so I just don't get it. To each our own, I guess.......

Harpa1282312976.26895 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I must say, I'm perplexed as to why ladies wear face foundation at all! I can see concealor and some finishing powder, but to have that goop and gunk on your face...I'd feel smothered! Even though they say it's noncomedegenic, I don't trust that.

Take Louann last night - that truly looked terrible, at least to me. I couldn't believe it was SB, and I wondered who had applied her makeup - Louann or an MA...? I just could never go around looking like that!

My question is, those who wear foundation, why do you? I really believe you can achieve a natural, flawless look without it, but I'm guessing you would try to convince me that you can't. ???

ohioglamgal1282313634.6672048 PostsRegistered 3/1/2007

Because as much as we don't want to admit it...the marketers are very good at their jobs.

They 'know' what subtle suggestions or pretty pictures pull at us when we are by ourselves and leafing through the magazines or watching tv and tell us that whatever we have isn't already good enough so we must run right out and get theirs.

That's why boards are great because others can 'talk you down' and you can also really learn about products before you buy them.

shoesnbags1282316566.462881 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans
On 8/20/2010 Harpa said:

I must say, I'm perplexed as to why ladies wear face foundation at all! I can see concealor and some finishing powder, but to have that goop and gunk on your face...I'd feel smothered! Even though they say it's noncomedegenic, I don't trust that.

Take Louann last night - that truly looked terrible, at least to me. I couldn't believe it was SB, and I wondered who had applied her makeup - Louann or an MA...? I just could never go around looking like that!

My question is, those who wear foundation, why do you? I really believe you can achieve a natural, flawless look without it, but I'm guessing you would try to convince me that you can't. ???

Well I wear foundation because it evens out my skin tone and makes it look much better. I have pale, otherwise colorless skin with uneven reddish blotchiness and freckles/age spots. Also large pores. With a light swipe of the right foundation, all of that DISAPPEARS. So the real question is why in the world wouldn't I use foundation?

Last edited on 8/20/2010

Last edited on 8/20/2010

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

bizziebee0­071282316906.9073251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

omg abby...that is so funny!! me too!! (see my thread on Skinn Cotton Fiber foundation) it's basically the same exact thread as yours. LOL.

I have 50 different foundations in my stash and keep going back to MAC StudioFix and Benefit's Hello Flawless, and love them, no problems, they work, but still am searching for another one to try. Why???

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

Make Up Ma­iden1282318865.74508 PostsRegistered 7/22/2010

Hi abbycat - BTW.. cute nick. Hey.. join the club!

Have you seen the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic?" That movie revealed a bunch to me about what drives me to buy more and more. One of the reasons I remember the "shopaholic" suggesting, was that the sales staff, fall all over us (like they are "courting us)." And who doesnt want to feel they are being courted?? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I also remember in "Pretty Woman" how Richard Gere said to the store manager that Julia Roberts, his companion, will need some MAJOR "s.u.c.k.ing up" to, including even giving her the tie off his neck, when she liked it!

Who wouldnt want that kind of wonderful treatment"?? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} (This was only one of the suggestions by the "Shopaholic" in the first movie)

Two great flicks - I highly recommend for people asking themselves your/our same questions .. Perhaps it's as personally revealing movie for you as it was for me! Plus there's some good natured laughing in those movies also.

Take good care. Good luck!

.
♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

Bobsey1282320179.42298 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks for posting this, I do the same thing and since you wrote this I cancelled my smashbox order because I DON"T NEED IT (I am telling myself that). It is crazy what I buy and throw away. I have actually stopped my QVC and HSN shopping. Once in a great while if I see something that I truly want or need and it is priced right I will order, but no more of this spur of the moment ordering!

lovestodan­ce1282320533.074801 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006

LOL, I an rather ashamed to admit,i am guily of having many different foundations,and other skin,makeup products.

Sigh i guess i am what they call a makupe-skin care junkie.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Harpa1282321488.5936895 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007
On 8/20/2010 bizziebee007 said:

omg abby...that is so funny!! me too!! (see my thread on Skinn Cotton Fiber foundation) it's basically the same exact thread as yours. LOL.

I have 50 different foundations in my stash and keep going back to MAC StudioFix and Benefit's Hello Flawless, and love them, no problems, they work, but still am searching for another one to try. Why???

Wow!! 50!! I think you take the prize! :)

Honestly, though, if you are paying on the average of 10 bucks a component, (and I have no idea how much foundations are in the department stores), that's a $500 investment right there!

I'm not talking anybody out of anything, it's just beyond my scope! I'd much rather work on skin care. Anyway, I feel so out of it when all you gals are talking about foundations!

kiki21282321593.866969 PostsRegistered 7/3/2010SJ
On 8/20/2010 Make Up Maiden said:

Hi abbycat - BTW.. cute nick. Hey.. join the club!

Have you seen the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic?" That movie revealed a bunch to me about what drives me to buy more and more. One of the reasons I remember the "shopaholic" suggesting, was that the sales staff, fall all over us (like they are "courting us)." And who doesnt want to feel they are being courted?? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I also remember in "Pretty Woman" how Richard Gere said to the store manager that Julia Roberts, his companion, will need some MAJOR "s.u.c.k.ing up" to, including even giving her the tie off his neck, when she liked it!

Who wouldnt want that kind of wonderful treatment"?? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} (This was only one of the suggestions by the "Shopaholic" in the first movie)

Two great flicks - I highly recommend for people asking themselves your/our same questions .. Perhaps it's as personally revealing movie for you as it was for me! Plus there's some good natured laughing in those movies also.

Take good care. Good luck!

I couldn't help myself not to post to your quote...I've watched 'Shopaholic" SIX times....*sigh*

I get it, I really do. Practicing restraint is really hard. I sometimes will look at midnight on whats up for the day and if its appealing or something I'm looking for I buy it. Then when I awake, I check this board.! THANKGOD as I've been able to cancel before the 'next' midnight, on so many products, once reading the board or doing a search of the item in this board! Not a great habit to do, hasn't happened alot, but it has helped me when alone and that impulse or sale marketeer nabs me.

Phew!

BEwell,kiki


"Strong women want the BEST for each other!"... Auburn RED, green w/gold eyes, Light/Med Beige. Neutral-leans warm. 4 furbabies RIP My LittleGirl, Home will always be BE. Oh & I'm still Kiki, too...;)

Page 1 of 1