Shoes & Handbags Offers
123 Members and 12077 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Vinegar as deodorant?

Started 1281730700.1 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1282792409.913 by crumpets

I read a thread here about using vinegar as deodorant, and that it would help control odor. Tried it today and it did nothing, it was no different than not using anything at all. Has anyone else tried this?

Page 1 of 2
MotleyCrue­4EVA1281730891.43096 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009South of Baltimore

There are many types of vinegar. It has to be the apple cider vinegar; is that what you used?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option"

noposting1281731183.913577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
On 8/13/2010 MotleyCrue4EVA said:

There are many types of vinegar. It has to be the apple cider vinegar; is that what you used?

Yes, the organic apple cider vinegar.

hopi1281731279.09710860 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006

I tried it yesterday and it worked.

You have to get a wash cloth soaked and then apply,

it did not run down my arm at all.

eta I just used the Heinz that was in the kitchen.

I wasn't in the kitchen when trying it, the vinegar bottle in the kitchen

oh you know what I mean.

Also got some red ant bites last week and put the apple cider vinegar on it

and it totally calmed my skin. It did sting and then all the itching stopped.

What ever venom those little monsters deposit when they bite is terrible.

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

chickenbutt1281731386.05723567 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I saw a thread the other day from a lady who said this worked miraculously for her! She mentioned having tried pretty much everything and this was the one thing that worked.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

mhk1281732567.4072452 PostsRegistered 3/29/2006

Katz was the OP of this thread:

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it won't work for everyone. I definitely have to use an antiperspirant regardless, but wouldn't mind a little help when there are odor-issues.

Katz said goes over the area several times with a cotton square, and Hopi mentioned soaking a washcloth...guess it'll be trial and error for me!

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

pommom1281733360.423318 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

I posted on Monday that I had tried this for the first time, it worked for me day one and it continues to work like a charm.

After I shower, I apply apple cider vinegar and allow it to dry. (The odor will evaporate - trust me.) Then I apply deodorant or anti-perspirant. For the first time in years, I don't have to be concerned about how effective the anti-perspirant is because the apple cider vinegar does wonders at neutralizing odor.

I continue to marvel at the effectiveness of such a simple item that's been in my pantry for years. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

God's answer to prayer:
1 - Yes
2 - Not yet
3 - I have something better in mind

- Robin Roberts

noposting1281733638.813577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
On 8/13/2010 pommom said:

I posted on Monday that I had tried this for the first time, it worked for me day one and it continues to work like a charm.

After I shower, I apply apple cider vinegar and allow it to dry. (The odor will evaporate - trust me.) Then I apply deodorant or anti-perspirant. For the first time in years, I don't have to be concerned about how effective the anti-perspirant is because the apple cider vinegar does wonders at neutralizing odor.

I continue to marvel at the effectiveness of such a simple item that's been in my pantry for years. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

But you use deodorant, also?

pommom1281733738.673318 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006
On 8/13/2010 noposting said:

After I shower, I apply apple cider vinegar and allow it to dry. (The odor <em>will</em> evaporate - trust me.) Then I apply deodorant or anti-perspirant. For the first time in years, I don't have to be concerned about how effective the anti-perspirant is because the apple cider vinegar does wonders at neutralizing odor.

Hi - yes, I put it on after the apple cider vinegar dries. Give it another try. I think you'll see how well it works. Good luck!

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

God's answer to prayer:
1 - Yes
2 - Not yet
3 - I have something better in mind

- Robin Roberts

love BE1281734250.991150 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007SD

After I shower, I apply apple cider vinegar and allow it to dry. (The odor <em>will</em> evaporate - trust me.) Then I apply deodorant or anti-perspirant. For the first time in years, I don't have to be concerned about how effective the anti-perspirant is because the apple cider vinegar does wonders at neutralizing odor.

Hi - yes, I put it on after the apple cider vinegar dries. Give it another try. I think you'll see how well it works. Good luck!

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

I shave my underarms almost every day. Doesn't this sting?

Nascarfan481281799631.121525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009
On 8/13/2010 love BE said:

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

I shave everyday and tried this the other day. There was very slight stinging under one arm and none under the other. So I suppose as long as you don't nick yourself it won't sting. I also applied deodorant after that and think it works great.

Silverstar1281803274.6332794 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007
On 8/13/2010 love BE said:

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Last edited on 8/13/2010

it stung a little when i used it after shaving. i do add antiper. because the acv doesn't control wetness. it has worked really well to neutralize odors under my arms and in the other area if you know what i mean. when i work out, if i don't use fem spray, i tend to get a little musty down there. the apple cider vinegar completely stopped the odors. hey, we're all girls, so it's ok to share that right?

mhk1281812180.8172452 PostsRegistered 3/29/2006
hey, we're all girls, so it's ok to share that right?

Totally okay, Silverstar! Any stinging or issues when trying it..."elsewhere?" I wouldv'e been afraid to try it "there," but I'm guessing it must be gentle if you like the results, huh?

catwhisper­er1281817372.8173211 PostsRegistered 12/4/2009So.CA

I tried the apple cider vinegar as a deodorant after reading the post by Katz. It worked. Another poster spoke of mixing the vinegar with green tea to use as a facial toner. I decided to try a little experiment. I did not use tea, but I mixed some vinegar half and half with water and placed it in a small bottle. I now have my deodorant and facial toner all in one and it works great.

JENLOVESTO­SHOP1281822572.287933 PostsRegistered 6/2/2006

I've been on the quest for the last several years to find a natural deodorant that would work and struck out with all the ones I tried.

What has worked fantastically for me is magnesium oil (Swanson Vitamins). Most of us are deficient in this mineral and applying to the skin (either directly, or in a bath, or footbath) is the best way to supplement. After showering, I spray it all over and rub it in, then spritz my hands and apply to underarm area. It has successfully addressed the deodorant and antiperspirant issue.

mhk1282754002.872452 PostsRegistered 3/29/2006
On 8/14/2010 JENLOVESTOSHOP said:

I've been on the quest for the last several years to find a natural deodorant that would work and struck out with all the ones I tried.

What has worked fantastically for me is magnesium oil (Swanson Vitamins). Most of us are deficient in this mineral and applying to the skin (either directly, or in a bath, or footbath) is the best way to supplement. After showering, I spray it all over and rub it in, then spritz my hands and apply to underarm area. It has successfully addressed the deodorant and antiperspirant issue.

Interesting! Thanks for the tip, Jen!

LaurieRose1282762274.69169 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010

I'm using this a bit differently, but still with great success! About twice a week I'm applying it full strength using a cotton pad right before I go to bed. That's all I've needed! I then shower in the morning as normal and then apply a light coat of anti-perspirant... but now I can use regular anti-perspirant, not the heavy-duty-clinical-strenth stuff that never seemed to help as much as I needed!

By doing this at night, I don't have ANY worries about stinging after shaving, or any residual vinegar smell. Even though I know many have said it doesn't linger, I worry about EVERYTHING and by doing it at night, I don't have to worry at all! LOL

It is amazing to me that ACV vinegar works so well! I bought a bottle to keep in my bathroom medicine cabinet to make it easy to apply right before bed!

mhk1282764780.4832452 PostsRegistered 3/29/2006

Another good tip, Laurie! I'll give it a try!

I tried it for the first time today, so not sure yet. Went over the areas several times with a cotton square. When I sniffed "the pits," after they were completely dry, I could barely smell the vinegar--but the scent was still there, slightly! I still need an antiperpirant, so I applied that after, then couldn't smell it at all.

I hope I get as lucky as you ladies, who are having such success with it!

Sawn1282768146.827626 PostsRegistered 2/9/2006

Another good "all natural" deodorant to try is Milk of Magnesia. I read about this in the People's Pharmacy column of the local newspaper.

You just dab a bit under your arms, and it works for at least 24 hours. I can work out hard and still no odor.

AlexK1282769863.382541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

Do you really want to go around smelling like vinegar?

Candice31501282770842.723778 PostsRegistered 6/8/2009
I have tried this a few weeks ago and, while it did work to an extent, especially at first, it quit working after about a week. I have always needed super, duper, extra strength deodorant and this just did not do enough for me. I live in the deep South where there is 1,000% humidity and you are dripping sweat just walking out to your car in the morning, much less leaving for lunch in the afternoon, etc. I have always been wary of odor and even wear 2 layers of deodorant (a light spray right out of the shower, a swipe of solid after I'm dressed). Nothing helps in the summer. Nothing.
The ACV did work for the first few days I used it. Don't believe it when people say the vinegar smell completely goes away. Yes, it fades. It fades a lot. Probably about 90%. But, even at the end of the day, I could still smell it faintly. And if I got hot outside, I would get a whiff of vinegar, even hours after applying it. I'd probably still be using it if it weren't for that part. It never got rid of 100% of the odor but it was definitely reduced a lot. I just don't want to smell like vinegar, even a little. I even tried spraying a light layer of deo over it, after it had dried, and that did not help either.
I am so conscience of how I smell and I just can't risk smelling like vinegar. I guess I could try using it at night but wouldn't it come off during my shower the next morning?

Alabama Crimson Tide -- 2009 NCAA National Champions!! Roll Tide!!!!!

hopi1282771082.7610860 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006
On 8/25/2010 AlexK said:

Do you really want to go around smelling like vinegar?

The smell of vinegar dissipates almost immediately and the is NO odor.

Actually wish peoples cologne, chewing gum (ugh),mouth wash and deodorants would dissipate.

Silverstar1282783186.7172794 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007
On 8/14/2010 mhk said:
hey, we're all girls, so it's ok to share that right?

Totally okay, Silverstar! Any stinging or issues when trying it..."elsewhere?" I wouldv'e been afraid to try it "there," but I'm guessing it must be gentle if you like the results, huh?

u know, i did notice a little stinging one day but was very careful of the placement after that and haven't had trouble. it's important to keep it on the outter skin, not near the more sensitive areas. i just use a cotton ball and dab dab dab. i can't tell you how happy i am with this solution.

SuziQ21282783315.562518 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008
On 8/13/2010 hopi said:

I tried it yesterday and it worked.

You have to get a wash cloth soaked and then apply,

it did not run down my arm at all.

eta I just used the Heinz that was in the kitchen.

I wasn't in the kitchen when trying it, the vinegar bottle in the kitchen

oh you know what I mean.

Also got some red ant bites last week and put the apple cider vinegar on it

and it totally calmed my skin. It did sting and then all the itching stopped.

What ever venom those little monsters deposit when they bite is terrible.

Last edited on 8/13/2010

Take Benadryl capsules when you get any insect bites. It will take away the stinging and the inflammation.....works wonders.

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

SuziQ21282783592.362518 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

Used to be a wonderful deodorant on the market years ago called....5 Day Pads. It was wonderful......you use them everyday of course after showering, but I never perspired. My husband ended up using them and his whole family after I shared my experience with his sister right after we were married. Great product. I bought some more about 5 years ago but not really sure where to buy it now. I haven't looked, but this "Secret" stuff I am using now just isn't working very good at all.

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

katz11282784211.6633897 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009

I'm the one who first ran the thread regarding the vinegar. I think that it depends probably on what is causing the odor. For me it is like a miracle. I think my arm odor may have been some form of yeast (just guessing here.) If you have a deficiency like someone else mentioned it might not work.

I have had zero odor since starting. I use it daily. I just pour a little on a cotton pad and wipe my underarms and then let it dry and thats it. No odor. Nothing else had worked and I had tried everything I could think of.

And for those who have commented. You don't go around smelling like vinegar. Give me a break. I wouldn't do that as much as a good salad appeals to me I don't want to smell like one. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I hope that some of the other suggestions work for you. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2