Guaranteed Delivery
38 Members and 17743 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

OCM and CASTOR oil!!

Started 1281612109.84 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1281790351.377 by snowleopard

Good morning ladies! Smile I just have to tell you about a little experiment I did yesterday.

Ok, so I'm one of those ladies who jumped on the OCM wagon a few months ago, and do it faithfully, once or twice a week, in place of a mask or scrub. I've had good results using a 3:1 ratio of coconut oil and castor oil. But, but, but. There's always a but. Still having an issue getting rid of ALL blackheads, the really stubborn ones around my nose. So, I thought, I wonder what would happen if I used ONLY castor oil, since castor is the 'cleansing' part of my mix? I was hesitant to do this since I've read that castor is drying, and I use Retin-A so didn't want to do anything that might upset the balance of my skin.

Yesterday I decided to try it. I did some research on the internet beforehand and read that it's also good for hair. Hmmm. I've been giving myself hot oil treatments with coconut oil, but coconut oil, believe it or not, was drying out my hair. So, I made yesterday a 'Spa Day'.

I heated up six tablespoons of castor oil, applied it from roots to tip. This oil is so thick, it was like putting tar on my hair (not that I've ever done THAT!). Wrapped my hair in a dryer-warmed towel, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Half-way through, I started my OCM. In front of a 10x mirror (I wanted to see what, if anything, would come out using only castor oil). Well ladies, all I can say is ick, ick, ick. Have you ever OCM'd around your lip line? Try it!

To make what's turning into a long story short, my skin looked like GLASS! It was amazing, really. Firm, glowing, clean, moisturized. No need to put anything else on. This morning, my skin looks better than it has, I'm in awe.

My hair? I have wavy hair, and if you do, too, you know how hard it is to bring out the shine, and keep it. My hair is SHINY! And soft! Why didn't I try this sooner?!?!

I also used the castor on my eyebrows and eyelashes last night before bed. I read that it helps them grow. We'll see!

Here's a link to all the wonderful things castor oil can do.

Castor Oil

Page 1 of 2
Mary Bailey1281612391.5077528 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Bedford Falls in It's A Wonderful Life

Wow! Thanks for the reports ChynaGirl - adding Castor Oil to my shopping list now.

Through the years
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself A merry little Christmas now.

yogimutti1281614554.883322 PostsRegistered 8/24/2006

Yes, thanks for being so brave! LOL!

I've used castor oil when I had excema and it was great for that so why does everyone say it's drying? I'm trying it for the OCM today.

Harpa1281614626.2837693 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

So glad to hear of your good results! How long did it take you to rinse out your hair?

Contrary to wherever we heard that castor oil is drying, I don't think it is at all! Going on that premise, I had decided to modify by using castor oil this summer and have been mixing it in my a.m. & p.m. cleansing. My skin is always nicely balanced, always comfortable! My pores are tight, and I have luminosity! I really am amazed at so simple a thing can give such nice results. I'll probably keep up this routine into the fall. I rarely do OCM, as it is just not needed.

ChynaGirl1281615137.553895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

yogimutti, I have no idea why people think it's drying! It's absolutely NOT. I went all day and evening yesterday without any moisturizer on my face, and usually I can NOT do that because of the Retin-A that I use (it dries me out). Seriously, my face was glowing and oh so clean.

Harpa, after 30 minutes I just took a normal shower. Rinsed my hair with warm water, shampooed twice with Pantene, and that was it. Blew it dry, used a curling brush to flip up the ends (no styling cremes, mouses, gels) and it looked so shiny, and so so soft. I can never really get my hair to look shiny without product, so I was really surprised when it looked so good.

rietzel1281615732.0071753 PostsRegistered 8/17/2006

what is OCM?

Judaline1281616292.3915998 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

Is it safe for colored hair?

lyn in MI1281616452.69724655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 8/12/2010 rietzel said:

what is OCM?

Oil Cleansing Method = http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

momtodogs1281616523.3533893 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006

I also would like to know what OCM means.

lyn in MI1281616609.77724655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 8/12/2010 momtodogs said:

I also would like to know what OCM means.

See post # 7 for a link to the Oil Cleansing Method web site.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

ChynaGirl1281620436.0773895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
On 8/12/2010 Judaline said:

Is it safe for colored hair?

Judaline, I wondered that myself so was looking for just that information when I did my research yesterday. The only thing I could find was that olive oil isn't good for colored hair.

My hair was colored just last Thursday and I didn't notice that anything faded or was stripped away. In fact, my hair looked so much brighter, I guess because it had such a shine to it.

katieqr1281621301.62346 PostsRegistered 7/10/2008

Ok... Where do you buy Castor Oil? I never have bought any?

lyn in MI1281621752.84724655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 8/12/2010 katieqr said:

I think the laxative section of a grocery or drugstore.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

LostGirl1281623293.1935024 PostsRegistered 10/22/2009
On 8/12/2010 lyn in MI said:

That's where I found mine.

CHYNAGIRL - Thank you for this post! I have been using sunflower and castor oil, after learning about OCM from all you beauty pundits here! It was ok, but my nose is plagued with b/heads too. Sooooo, I am going home and trying just the castor oil tonight. I will try the hair thing over the weekend. My hair is moderate curly and I know what you mean about achieving shine. After the heated towel, what did you do next?

It's very exciting!!!

Last edited on 8/12/2010

Last edited on 8/12/2010

"Guys, where are we?"

RinaQ1281623691.13299 PostsRegistered 2/3/2007NY

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to give it a try. I'm new to the OCM bandwagon, I've tried it twice and not seeing much results {#emotions_dlg.sad} I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I want to see the gunk coming out {#emotions_dlg.lol} Does it take a while for that to happen?

LostGirl1281624181.285024 PostsRegistered 10/22/2009

RINAQ - Some people have posted that they feel granules in the oil as they massage. I can't say I have ever felt that. But just recently, I've stepped up the massage a bit. I move the skin up and down, AND side to side. I think I've seen some ick coming out.

Who knows? We should all probably go back to using Ivory soap and hot water, like many of our nanas did!!

"Guys, where are we?"

Daysdee1281624236.8219227 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I haven't been able to find it. Used it years ago on lashes (advice from my Mother). I want to use it on lashes again now that I'm older. Saved a mascara wand for the application.

Judaline1281624700.7915998 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

You can get a big bottle at the health food store-NOW Foods is the brand name of mine. 100% pure.

lostgirl PLEASE don't move your skin around. I shuddered at your post. You never want to move your skin from its moorings. You are just asking for saggy skin in the future.

snowleopard1281624893.391089 PostsRegistered 4/12/2008

I would highly recommend that you go to a health food store because you'll find castor oil in the skincare/lotions section sold at least a third of the price that drugstores sell it for, in tiny bottles. (Drugstores just think of castor oil as a laxative.) I've used castor oil for years on my hair and skin and it's everything the OP said and more! Great stuff for very little money. I recommend buying hexane-free and paraben-free castor oil if you're using it on skin. I purchase mine at Whole Foods, but it's in every health food store I've ever walked into. I like the HomeHealth brand.

lyn in MI1281625024.1324655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 8/12/2010 snowleopard said:

I would highly recommend that you go to a health food store because you'll find castor oil in the skincare/lotions section sold at least a third of the price that drugstores sell it for, in tiny bottles. (Drugstores just think of castor oil as a laxative.) I've used castor oil for years on my hair and skin and it's everything the OP said and more! Great stuff for very little money. I recommend buying hexane-free and paraben-free castor oil if you're using it on skin. I purchase mine at Whole Foods, but it's in every health food store I've ever walked into. I like the HomeHealth brand.

Great info! Thank you.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

NeNe10101281626337.367615 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana

I read an article that said the Castor Oil you use on your face etc should say cold pressed and for external use only as opposed to the one you would buy as a laxative. I am not sure what the difference is but I just purchased some from a health food store and compared to what I was using (the laxative kind) it looks lighter in color and seems a little lighter in consistency. Castor Oil is a wonderful oil. Check out all of its uses and health benefits on line if you havent yet.

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

ChynaGirl1281627654.1873895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
On 8/12/2010 LostGirl said:

That's where I found mine.

CHYNAGIRL - Thank you for this post! I have been using sunflower and castor oil, after learning about OCM from all you beauty pundits here! It was ok, but my nose is plagued with b/heads too. Sooooo, I am going home and trying just the castor oil tonight. I will try the hair thing over the weekend. My hair is moderate curly and I know what you mean about achieving shine. After the heated towel, what did you do next?

It's very exciting!!!

Last edited on 8/12/2010

After the OCM (which I faithfully do for 15 minutes!), I usually take a shower and just let the warm water spray on my face (which is what I did yesterday). Then I used my regular cleanser, a toner, and that was it. No need for a moisturizer. If I do the OCM at night before bed, I use the hot steamy cloth for a few minutes, wipe the oil off, and depending on how my skin feels, follow up with a moisturizer, or Retin-A.

I agree with the other poster who said do NOT move, tug, or stretch out your face skin! My DH does that to his eyes, and I'm horrified to see it, I tell him one day his face is going to slide right off his head! Treat your skin like a very ripe piece of fruit that you don't want to bruise... you shouldn't see any movement of your skin when you wash, moisturize, etc. If it moves, you're tugging too hard. Seriously.

LostGirl1281635691.25024 PostsRegistered 10/22/2009
On 8/12/2010 Judaline said:

You can get a big bottle at the health food store-NOW Foods is the brand name of mine. 100% pure.

lostgirl PLEASE don't move your skin around. I shuddered at your post. You never want to move your skin from its moorings. You are just asking for saggy skin in the future.

Oh! Well maybe I made it sound more exaggerated than it is. I hope. I just take both middle fingers and kind of wiggle and push on the skin, as if I were trying to squeeze a b/head, but not as hard. I don't press down against my bones. Is that still too much? No, I'd rather not move my skin from its moorings.

"Guys, where are we?"

LostGirl1281635826.325024 PostsRegistered 10/22/2009

oooh, then I read ChynaGirl's post after Judaline's. Yeah, I think I'm applying more pressure than on a piece of bruised fruit. Oh now MY face is gonna slide off.

"Guys, where are we?"

ChynaGirl1281643997.9933895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
On 8/12/2010 LostGirl said:

oooh, then I read ChynaGirl's post after Judaline's. Yeah, I think I'm applying more pressure than on a piece of bruised fruit. Oh now MY face is gonna slide off.

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Funny girl!

I like that, though... moorings... nice word.

Judaline1281653130.01315998 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

lostgirl, no it won't slide off because we warned you in time. Just DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!no no

Page 1 of 2