Better Than Black Friday
32 Members and 13135 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Swimming & Self-Tanners

Started 1266848364 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1266931435 by AngelPuppy1
replies
Morning, Ladies:
Since I cannot tan and can only do the faux tanners, I have a question. How do you find you find your self-tanners hold up while swimming? I have pretty much avoided more than just sticking my toes in because I'm afraid I'll end up looking like a zebra when I come out!!! I'm going on vacation in about a week and don't want to be totally pale so I rely on these products to keep from looking pasty. Another question - do you continually use a scrub each day and try to begin again with a "fresh tan", or do you try and baby your "tan" for as long as you can and just do patch ups? I'm looking to pick your brains here!!! Thanks a lot!
--
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

Page 1 of 1
zoologist12668485051745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010
I'm not a swimmer, really, but on vacation I do get in the 4' end with the kids, and want to know this, too!
Please, some faux tanning gals, help us out!?:|

bunnypink12668535951476 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008
I've used faux tanners on & off a lot over the past 15+ years and have a love/hate relationship with them!
I LOVE the look of being tan (I'm super pasty!) & feel so much better about the way I look. But, I HATE the smell, fading/splotchiness, & high maintenance upkeep. I won't lay out in the sun b/c I don't need the sun damage. I also think it looks ridiculous when women just use faux tan part of their body (usually the biggest offender is legs only!). I think it has to be done on your entire body & it's very difficult to do (and keep up) by yourself.
So, what I do before a vacay is go to a Spray Tan Booth (like Mystic Tan) a few times first. I exfoliate before the 1st appt & then moisturize in between. If there are areas of buildup I will only exfoliate those. Then, when on vacay I will exfoliate & faux tan every other day or so and then use just moisturizer on the days I don't faux tan.
As far as the pool, it definitely doesn't help faux tanners. The chlorine is very drying & speeds up the wearing off of faux tanners. You'll have to moisturize a lot more & will probably need to do this daily: exfoliate, shower, put on faux tanner, & then moisturize well before bed. Depends upon how much you're in the pool though.
I always ask myself if all this is worth it though! Why can't we just accept our pasty skin?! All the ridiculous work it takes combined with the horrible stink (and I'm sorry but EVERYONE who uses self tanners stinks! In fact there was just a big thread about this not that long ago on here & how we can smell the stink on other ppl!).
Anyway, hope you have a good vacay & hope some of my info is useful! :)
GL!

sgraham3012668625852680 PostsRegistered 6/2/2006
From my own experience,self tanners and chlorinated pools do not mix well,they're like oil and water.For my first foray to the pool last Memorial Day weekend,I had self tanner on when I entered the pool,not so much on when I left after an hour or two.I scrubbed off what was left of the self tanner and relied on natural sun,using sunscreen,for my color until the pool closed.After Labor Day week-end,I went back to self tanning for a few weeks and then just let it wear off.

AngelPuppy112669304258798 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008
Thanks, ladies. Sounds like I am kind of stuck. Either be a nice faux color or get in the water! I'm not much of a swimmer but don't mind jumping in to cool off now and then. It's too bad that self-tanning products don't have a little more staying power. That is what I usually do -- get a spray tan before leaving and then just keep a supply of self-tanning products with me and apply as needed. But, I just didn't want to end up looking half-tanned or all streaky from swimming! I am so, so white, and have veins, etc. that show up on my legs that I would feel horribly self-conscious without the tanning products. I cannot tan at all - just burn - and, in fact, have been advised not to tan. So, I guess I will just do the best I can with my fake stuff.
--

zoologist12669307651745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010
It's not that my skin is so white that I find annoying/unattractive....but rather, blotchy.
Even as a kid, I have never had even skin tone, esp. on my legs, except when I hit the tanning beds in the 1980s.
I was in heaven! Looked like I had panythose on! No more broken veins! No more pin-hole-looking hair follicles! Just beatiful, flawless gams!

AngelPuppy112669314358798 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008
zoologist:
I feel your pain! :O The only way I could get a decent tan was tanning beds, also. I did so enjoy that time of getting a really nice color for the first time in my life!. I knew I was treading on thin ice because of being so fair, and then I started getting little skin cancers and had to stop. It's not worth killing yourself over, that's for sure. I have just had to accept my being fair and for the most part am o.k. with it until someone will still make some unkind remark such as asking me if I glow in the dark, etc. People can be so unkind at times. However, when I go on vacation and wear a bathing suit I do like to exhibit a little color. I guess we will just have to put up with our faux tanning products and hope they keep improving them!
--

Page 1 of 1