TSV(R) Preview
26 Members and 15834 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Why Isn't Suzanne Sommers on HSN Anymore?

Started 1281583739.35 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1281661062.977 by 8ball

She is on SNBC now. She was HUGE on HSN. I read that she alone generated something like 40 million dollars in sales, so why would she leave?

I have her hand mixer w/digital timer that I absolutely love. LOL.

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 1
NurseRecru­iter1281583979.20313869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

That is the mystery! There was some gossip about her wanting to sell more of her vitamins, etc. and that would have conflicted with Lessman.

I'm guessing you know she's moved to ShopNBC.

Last edited on 8/11/2010

Last edited on 8/11/2010

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

MainelyMom­my1281611907.2471588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

This is not the first time I think Lessman has interfered. They also used to sell Sensa for a short time and I constantly saw the kits being sold out, it was highly rated, and they used to rave about it on the air. Well I had it on autoship, and about 6 months after the launch it was pulled and they stopped selling it. When I called CS....she said that there were some issues with vendors. I read between the lines and took it to mean Lessman does not want any competition.

Suzanne Somers uses and advocates supplements from Life Extension. She knows a lot about health and has the money to use whatever products she wants. These are probably the ones she would sell or who would formulate for her. Dr. Oz gave a list of nutrients and the amounts women need and the ONLY vitamin I that met all his rec's was the Life Extension healthy mix.


I Teach Too1281612560.31311790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 8/12/2010 MainelyMommy said:

This is not the first time I think Lessman has interfered. They also used to sell Sensa for a short time and I constantly saw the kits being sold out, it was highly rated, and they used to rave about it on the air. Well I had it on autoship, and about 6 months after the launch it was pulled and they stopped selling it. When I called CS....she said that there were some issues with vendors. I read between the lines and took it to mean Lessman does not want any competition.

Andrew pulled his Secure products when HSN introduced Sensa and had quite a letter on his website. As you probably noticed, Secure is back and Sensa is gone.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

depglass1281618873.81324293 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I think Suzanne expanded into too many categories. Jewlery, clothng, food, skin care, small appliances, on and on. Just slapping your name on something doesn't guarantee its sale. You can't do a good marketing job when your efforts are spread out so thinly. I blame her DH for that, and the PTB at HSN for going along with this. End result? Too many markdowns. Not enough profit. And that's what its all about.

Mary Bailey1281619068.0577472 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Bedford Falls in It's A Wonderful Life

I saw the writing on the wall when they kept muting her - just like they did with Connie Stevens right before she vanished at HSN. I always watched when they were on. Now I only watch ybf.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
.
Just Remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn't the way they actually are. - John Green

fashion_fr­eak1281619132.1861 PostsRegistered 9/23/2009

Yeah, she was HUGE at HSN, but like the other posters, she was spread very thin and prob not making much $$. they have other "specialized" vendors that do food, jewlery, health products, etc that can market more easily. IMHO I get leary of "celebrities" who put their name on everything under the sun, and maybe she was losing credibility?

sahmIam1281624187.211196 PostsRegistered 9/25/2005

Well, I found everything that Suzanne produced for QVC was always top notch. I bought a huge amount of her food and appliance/kitchen items; still USE those kitchen items and wish I had bought every piece she had presented. Her food was fantastic for anyone who had to watch sugar intake/carbs. Her cookbooks are the best for low carbers. Her hair line was fantastic (as was many of her skin care products). I still have and use 3 pairs of her sunglasses; LOVE THEM. I think there is far more to why she left then we realize and considering the quality was excellent on everything I purchased (and friends and family), I don't think she spread herself too thin.

Now, I couple this with Connie Stevens. I used her products (and so did my mom and others I knew) since she first came out with them. Loved them. Loved her bath line. Followed her growth. Often heard callers say "what will I do if you EVER leave HSN"? or "don't you EVER leave HSN!" and she would ALWAYS respond with "I won't ever leave as long as HSN ALLOWS me to stay". I thought that was odd way to answer. When she left, we started ordering her products directly from her company. One day, I was on the phone with a CS rep regarding ordering a custom made basket for a shower. We started talking about how great Connies Xmas baskets were each year and how they were missed. She said she knew, she heard it all the time. I then asked "Why DID Connie leave HSN?" and the woman sighed and said "because they kept wanting her to make more and more products and Connie did NOT believe the quality was there. She wanted to take more time to produce what she felt clients really wanted. HSN was demanding a specific amount of products every so many visits. She felt that they were destroying her company and she refused to comprimise. So they refused to resign her".

I thought back to when Connie first started and realized that for a long time, she brought out 1 or 2 products a year. But recently, she had a bunch of new things every time she came and I thought "well, now I see why". Plus, many of her newer products really were not that great.

Conclusion, I think HSN has far more to do with how much a celebrity "produces" then we realize. And if the celebrity isn't willing to play ball, they'll get rid of them, no matter HOW much money they bring in. Don't tell me Connie didn't pull in the numbers. Don't tell me Suzanne didn't either. They are both very smart and savy business women.

Nanette491281633401.13177 PostsRegistered 10/28/2008

Yeah, I miss Suzanne also. She's on SNBC now, but she doesn't carry all the merchandise she used to. I have one of her tops - super cute. I get so many compliments when I wear it. I love Suzanne!

JoElla1281633502.2110552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas
On 8/12/2010 Mary Bailey said:

I saw the writing on the wall when they kept muting her - just like they did with Connie Stevens right before she vanished at HSN. I always watched when they were on. Now I only watch ybf.

Exactly! As soon as they started to do that, I thought ruh roh...

bizziebee0­071281634016.063251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

I've been wondering what the heck was going on. I initially thought it might be a lawsuit from claims she made or a falling out w/Colleen (or HSN execs).

I didn't know Lessman was that big a draw for HSN (compared to her).

I liked many of her things too...and I didn't notice that they started "muting" her. Always a bad sign!

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

colson1281637493.177438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
On 8/12/2010 sahmIam said:

Well, I found everything that Suzanne produced for QVC was always top notch. I bought a huge amount of her food and appliance/kitchen items; still USE those kitchen items and wish I had bought every piece she had presented. Her food was fantastic for anyone who had to watch sugar intake/carbs. Her cookbooks are the best for low carbers. Her hair line was fantastic (as was many of her skin care products). I still have and use 3 pairs of her sunglasses; LOVE THEM. I think there is far more to why she left then we realize and considering the quality was excellent on everything I purchased (and friends and family), I don't think she spread herself too thin.

Now, I couple this with Connie Stevens. I used her products (and so did my mom and others I knew) since she first came out with them. Loved them. Loved her bath line. Followed her growth. Often heard callers say "what will I do if you EVER leave HSN"? or "don't you EVER leave HSN!" and she would ALWAYS respond with "I won't ever leave as long as HSN ALLOWS me to stay". I thought that was odd way to answer. When she left, we started ordering her products directly from her company. One day, I was on the phone with a CS rep regarding ordering a custom made basket for a shower. We started talking about how great Connies Xmas baskets were each year and how they were missed. She said she knew, she heard it all the time. I then asked "Why DID Connie leave HSN?" and the woman sighed and said "because they kept wanting her to make more and more products and Connie did NOT believe the quality was there. She wanted to take more time to produce what she felt clients really wanted. HSN was demanding a specific amount of products every so many visits. She felt that they were destroying her company and she refused to comprimise. So they refused to resign her".

I thought back to when Connie first started and realized that for a long time, she brought out 1 or 2 products a year. But recently, she had a bunch of new things every time she came and I thought "well, now I see why". Plus, many of her newer products really were not that great.

Conclusion, I think HSN has far more to do with how much a celebrity "produces" then we realize. And if the celebrity isn't willing to play ball, they'll get rid of them, no matter HOW much money they bring in. Don't tell me Connie didn't pull in the numbers. Don't tell me Suzanne didn't either. They are both very smart and savy business women.

And this is precisely the position that Isaac Mizrahi is in right now, master of everything and anything. He has to be stretched insanely thin.

viva9231281643673.697006 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I like Susanne Sommers but sometimes she got on my nerves. I don't think Colleen and Susanne got along that well. I can't put my finger on it but just something wasn't there. I do know that Colleen said a few quips one time when she was working with Susanne on a clothes show and they had to sit on beach chairs in some silky slinky pajamas. Colleen was none to happy about it.

LCR1281656229.29449 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

HSN has to mute Lauren Hutton a lot. What do you think?

Deeby1281660346.511076 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010Southern California

I think because she's more mouth than brain. CONSTANTLY flapping her mouth and not even waiting for the host to finish speaking. All the time too. Rude and none too bright, in my opinion.

ShopNBC will probably give her the boot too.

Karena1281660791.815575 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California
On 8/12/2010 LCR said:

HSN has to mute Lauren Hutton a lot. What do you think?

Yes, at times they do. I think it's because Lauren is talking about the benefits of certain ingredients, that they cannot legally air. Lauren just says what she thinks, and it's probably hard to filter her. Also, I noticed that significant portions of Carol Alt's presentations for her skin care line (RAW) were muted out. That was just bizarre! Now her line is gone, too.

Last edited on 8/12/2010

Last edited on 8/12/2010

8ball1281661062.973859 PostsRegistered 7/3/2010

Probably because most, if not all, of the products she sold were c**p. SS - something with zero talent, who had to resort to hawking cheap-looking, overpriced products (especially her tacky clothing and jewelry) to make some bucks.

Page 1 of 1