Labor Day Weekend Clearance
49 Members and 9410 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Shampooing of Keratin treated hair??

Started 1281530706.977 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1281540312.137 by Skintech

I had the treatment done on July 3, Simply Smooth brand. I kept it totally straight for one day as instructed and then washed with the products they sold me. I glanced at the ingredients and saw the dreaded words Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate as the 2nd ingredient. I have been told by previous hairdressers that Sulfates are BAD for the treatment. I called the manufacture and was given some line that oh we found that the Sulfates are not bad for the treatment.

Its only been a 6 weeks and the treatment is starting to fade.

Was I sold a load of cr * p by my hairdresser and the manufacturer?

TIA

Ellen

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

Page 1 of 1
RHONDA1281533768.961492 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007South Louisiana

My 16 year old daughter has her hair treated with Keratin every 3-4 months. I believe the name of her treatment is called Kerasmooth. Her hairdresser told her there was no special shampoo needed. Her hair is normally very very kinky curly (frizzy sometimes). this treatment does wonders for her hair. It is not straight as nails, but the curls are soft and flowing. She keeps it straight for 72 hours after the treatment (as instructed) then washes as usual with her regular shampoo. They never sold us any extras. Thank goodness.

Rhonda

bunnypink1281535006.181449 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Interesting! I've had the Coppola Keratin Treatment done twice and that's what they always say too-that you shouldn't use shampoo/conditioner with sulfates. They say the same for Brazilian Blowout. I've never heard of the brand you got (Simply Smooth) but 6 weeks seems really short to have it already fading. Do you mind me asking how much it cost? The Coppola was almost $400 w/a 15% tip. It lasts me almost 6 months.

nomless1281535329.164375 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I read reviews about how to maintain the keratin treatment at home. The article I read (which I can't find now) recommended Mill Creek Keratin shampoo and conditioner (available at Amazon for $8 each + $1 shipping). Coppola prodcuts and Aphogee products from Sally's were also recommended.

Usedtobeox­ox1281535486.4873842 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 8/11/2010 nomless said:

I read reviews about how to maintain the keratin treatment at home. The article I read (which I can't find now) recommended Mill Creek Keratin shampoo and conditioner (available at Amazon for $8 each + $1 shipping). Coppola prodcuts and Aphogee products from Sally's were also recommended.

I used the shampoo they sold me until this week, today I went back to my old Deva care low poo and conditioners, I know for sure that they are sulfate free.

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

bunnypink1281535618.8031449 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Thanks nomless for the info! I just ordered the mill creek shampoo/cond from vitacost for $13 something incl shipping. WAY cheaper than the Coppola I was buying!!!

Thanks again!

nomless1281537266.594375 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I hope the Mill Creek works for you, Bunny. I ordered some yesterday, too, after finding lots and lots of good reviews. I haven't had a keratin treatment, though, I'm just looking for something I can use to control the frizz in my wavy hair during this hot, humid weather.

I hope it works for you. At least it's an inexpensive experiment. Let us know how you like it.

bizziebee0­071281537436.6773251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

I've had the Coppola treatment done and I was told by a friend of mine who is an instructor/educator for the Coppola treatment (among other salon brands) that those with keratin need to avoid "sulfates" and "sodium chloride".

He is a rep for a company called Alfaparf and while they do not taut their shampoos and conditioners as "keratin safe", they do not contain any of the harmful ingredients. Apparently, many companies do this, as well...so you have to read ingredients.

ETA: It was recommended that I use Keratin Complex poo/conditioner (by Coppola) to maintain my treatment. They normally sell for $20 each, plus the Keratin Complex Smoothing Serum ($45). I found a great deal on all 3 full size products at folica.com for $55. Love the products by the way. They smell amazing and work fantastic! A little goes a long, long way, so they last forever. HTH.

Last edited on 8/11/2010

Last edited on 8/11/2010

Last edited on 8/11/2010

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

Usedtobeox­ox1281537746.073842 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 8/11/2010 bizziebee007 said:

I've had the Coppola treatment done and I was told by a friend of mine who is an instructor/educator for the Coppola treatment (among other salon brands) that those with keratin need to avoid "sulfates" and "sodium chloride".

He is a rep for a company called Alfaparf and while they do not taut their shampoos and conditioners as "keratin safe", they do not contain any of the harmful ingredients. Apparently, many companies do this, as well...so you have to read ingredients.

ETA: It was recommended that I use Keratin Complex poo/conditioner (by Coppola) to maintain my treatment. They normally sell for $20 each, plus the Keratin Complex Smoothing Serum ($45). I found a great deal on all 3 full size products at folica.com for $55. Love the products by the way. They smell amazing and work fantastic! A little goes a long, long way, so they last forever. HTH.

Last edited on 8/11/2010

Last edited on 8/11/2010

Thats why this is upsetting me so much to post on here. The products I bought are made by the company that makes the treatment and is sold to you after the treatment.

bizziebee0­071281537978.9033251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

Usedtobe: There is a ton of information on the web about the "do's and don't's"...and you can also call the company directly with questions if you are unsure what you are using is safe.

My bff is the one who gave me the keratin treatment (she was certified by my other friend who is the educator)...and they both said that as long as the product is sulfate and sodium chloride free, that is what is important. HTH.

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

Usedtobeox­ox1281539697.543842 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun
On 8/11/2010 bizziebee007 said:

Usedtobe: There is a ton of information on the web about the "do's and don't's"...and you can also call the company directly with questions if you are unsure what you are using is safe.

My bff is the one who gave me the keratin treatment (she was certified by my other friend who is the educator)...and they both said that as long as the product is sulfate and sodium chloride free, that is what is important. HTH.

I did call the company and was given this info

"We did research and there are new studies that say there is no need to eliminate sulfates"

I have had this treatment before and was told stay away from sulfates or salt water.

This is why I am so confused

I am also sure the treatment is not wearing as well as others I have had

I am beginning to think this is a slick marketing plan which makes you need the treatment more often

Skintech1281540312.137209 PostsRegistered 7/4/2007

No matter which system you use, Sodium Chloride is the only ingredient you need to avoid to prolong the treatment. Coppola has sulfates in the shampoo as well. Anything sodium is fine, so long as it is not sodium chloride. Below are the ingredients in the after care Coppola shampoo.

Ingredients:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PEG/PPG-20/6 Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-4/12 Dimethicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Benzyl Alcohold, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Fragrance/Parfum.

I posted on another thread that each system does not work the same for every head. Depends on hair type, texture, condition of the hair and follow up care, as well as the skill of the technician.Certified means the stylist attended a class. Not necessarily performed alot of treatments. Not every head is a straight 450 degree flat iron. Over processed, bleached hair needs adjustments.Check lamasbeauty under salon discussion board. There are a several pros (Tommy, Vincent, Denise, Leslie) that only focus on keratin treatments and thermals. Cntrl+f will bring up the word search option.

I have read mixed reviews on SS. Currently the top three treatments are Global, Braz. Blowout and Coppola. But there seems to be new ones coming out all the time.

Page 1 of 1