TSV(R) Preview
149 Members and 16328 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Homemade hair color or rinse..grape kool aid or others??

Started 1266773663 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1266800830 by crush
replies
Has anyone ever made their own hair color/dye/rinse from stuff around the house? I did a search and found a couple using walnut shells (I'd have to go buy them) or using black tea (for brunettes) as a rinse. Someone posted some time ago about using grape kool aid to take out the brassiness in your hair. Does anyone know the "combination" of products? Or has anyone come up with a really good "concoction" that works? I'm a brunette, so if any of you brunettes have a tried and true method, let me know. I'd love to have something I could use to "tie me over" and "stretch" in between my hair colorings! Thank you!

Page 1 of 1
PinkyPetun­ia12667744024554 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ
these homemade suggestions sound too "far out" for me. The drugstore products are cheap enough. Something is always on sale at one store or another. Are you trying to cover gray? Do a root touch-up in between full colorings. There are kits for sale just for this purpose.

depglass126677487224094 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
More power to you if you try these ideas, but I would be afraid of it staining the skin. Walnuts especially, that stuff is murder.

claudia__a­nne126677574712395 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010
I used to use KoolAid in high school and it's not something I would suggest using if you work or leave the home.
:^O
It was a fun look when I was a kid but it was quite drastic.
You can always go to your local beauty supply store and purchase Roux Fanci-full hair rinse that comes in a large plastic bottle and use that after you wash your hair.
It works very well between colorings.

crush12667894042127 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
I do color my own hair, and I wanted to cover a few gray hairs coming back in and had no type of temp. stuff on hand. I've used the Clairol Color Boosting stuff in the past, but I can't find it anymore. I've also used John Freida's Color Glaze. I just wondered if anyone had any "quick" ideas that actually worked! I'll just have to buy something tomorrow when I go into town!

PurpleCow1266799695679 PostsRegistered 8/15/2009colorado, baby!!
I have blonde hair with highlights and I have tried a spoonful of grape koolaid mixed with my shampoo and left on for 5min, it's actually good! toned down brassiness and no weird staining :-)
My guy has black/brown hair and the grape koolaid give him very slight plum/red/brown highlights, very subtle and they disappear after a day or so.
I've tried a 6hour honey mask, it gave me subtle strawberry highlights. Lemon+sunlight really didn't do anything for me but it brightened my sister's blond hair tons.
My friend has mousey brown hair and does coffee rinses every once in a while, makes it less ashey.
--
*mooo*

ヽ༼ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ༽ノ

crush12668008302127 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
> I have blonde hair with highlights and I have tried a
> spoonful of grape koolaid mixed with my shampoo and
> left on for 5min, it's actually good! toned down
> brassiness and no weird staining :-)
>
> My guy has black/brown hair and the grape koolaid
> give him very slight plum/red/brown highlights, very
> subtle and they disappear after a day or so.
>
> I've tried a 6hour honey mask, it gave me subtle
> strawberry highlights. Lemon+sunlight really didn't
> do anything for me but it brightened my sister's
> blond hair tons.
>
> My friend has mousey brown hair and does coffee
> rinses every once in a while, makes it less ashey.
>
> --
> *mooo*
PurpleCow...thanks for reminding me about the coffee rinses; I've actually done that in the past, but it completely slipped my mind! It's a little messy, but it did seem to give my hair a bit more shine after I did it a couple of times...also just gave a little "boost" to the color. Thanks again for the reminder!

Page 1 of 1