TSV(R) Preview
35 Members and 11089 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How Do Shellac Nails Differ from Acrylic?

Started 1281124687.89 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1281204862.6 by KatieSab
replies

My nail tech wants to go this route because my nails are so sensitive. Would that really make a difference?

God's answer to prayer:
1 - Yes
2 - Not yet
3 - I have something better in mind

- Robin Roberts

Page 1 of 1
mdmc1281125840.041649 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007West Coast

Shellac is a gell polish. There is no filing on the nails. It is suppose to stay o natural nails for 2 weeks like acrylic would. I am using a similar product I get from my supplier called Gellish. It is basically the same thing. I am a nail tech but I took my acrylic nails off about 6 years ago. I do have great nails but polish does not stay on natural nails very well. I have been using this for a month now and women love it. It really does stay on and you soak it off with acetone so no damage to the natural nail. Personally I have the french manicure and couldn't be happier. That being said it is more expensive than a regular manicure because the cost of the polish to me is 4 times what a bottle of OPI is. Not to mention you have to use their top and base coat.

lulu21281126033.5220967 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

With Shellac they go over your natural nails. I believe they cure them under a light after the base coat, polish and top coat. It is suppose to last for 2 weeks. They are remove by wrapping acteone soaked pads around your nails for a specific amount of time. There is no drilling involved.

Jerzeegirl1281126760.8711338 PostsRegistered 4/18/2005Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey

I have the Shellac on now in the French Manicure. MDMC & lulu2's descriptions are right on, no drilling involved & it's so much thinner than acrylics. I had them done last Friday, still look like I just had them done an hour ago. I also tried the OPI Gel manicure, but prefer the shellac. Considering I can pay $12-15 for a french manicure that may only last a week, I'd rather pay the $30 the Shellac costs & have the manicure for 2 weeks. Comes out to the same cost, but it saves me time.

sweetsue_981281126816.331032 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006

I love them! I get them done every two weeks, and they are perfect. The last time I went three weeks, and other than the fact that they had grown, the polish was on.

Yes, they are cured under a special light. I won't wear fake nails, and was a little concerned about these, but I have checked them each time I get them done, and they are just fine.

It is such a money saver as I work with my hands all the time and my nails really do not last. This is great, and I highly recommend it.

They don't chip, peel, or anything. I keep my nails short, and they are perfect.

pommom1281130056.0933315 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006
On 8/6/2010 mdmc said:

Shellac is a gell polish. There is no filing on the nails. It is suppose to stay o natural nails for 2 weeks like acrylic would. I am using a similar product I get from my supplier called Gellish. It is basically the same thing. I am a nail tech but I took my acrylic nails off about 6 years ago. I do have great nails but polish does not stay on natural nails very well. I have been using this for a month now and women love it. It really does stay on and you soak it off with acetone so no damage to the natural nail. Personally I have the french manicure and couldn't be happier. That being said it is more expensive than a regular manicure because the cost of the polish to me is 4 times what a bottle of OPI is. Not to mention you have to use their top and base coat.

mdmc - I see that my nails are so fragile and torn when my nail tech has to remove one to apply a new one. Would the gell polish burn esp under a treatment light?

God's answer to prayer:
1 - Yes
2 - Not yet
3 - I have something better in mind

- Robin Roberts

KatieSab1281204862.597324 PostsRegistered 3/27/2008

Your nails are fragile because they are suffocating uder the acrylic. If the layers of the nail are torn, then they are probably being removed improperly by prying them off the natural nail.

Gels can feel like they are burning for the first few moments under the curing light. You can aviod that by putting your hand in and out quickly under the light a few times until keeping it under the light does not hurt anymore and allow it to fully cure.

Shellac, imo did not have the burning sensation that a regular gel did when I applied them to myself.

Page 1 of 1