The Joy of Christmas
65 Members and 15172 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How do Stridex pads differ from other exfoliating salicylic acid pads?

Started 1266554618 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1266617865 by Kimberly327
replies
Ok, I know that there are no stupid questions, but this might be one . . .
How do Stridex pads differ from other exfoliating salicylic acid pads like Dr. Denese or the like???
The Stridex pads I saw are alcohol free and contain 2% salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is the ingredient most of these high price pads contain to exfoliate, right???
Please be kind ; ) It really might be a stupid question, but I am really wanting to know . . .
Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
victoria g­irl12665551967681 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
I don't think your question is stupid. Waiting for one of the beauties to come on and post an answer. (I buy the Stridex pads for the top of my nose... I HATE blackheads, and this helps keep them away!!)

MissSugarK­ane1266555860118 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007
Some pads use glycolic or lactic acids to exfoliate instead of salicylic acid. Otherwise the only difference is the name brand and the price.
--
Jamie

Jamie

mkcw1266555981451 PostsRegistered 5/9/2008
A bit more about me . . . I am 43 and I use Differin gel at night. The Differin can cause some flakes. My dermatologist gave me a cleanser that has salicylic in it. I have come to he conclusion that no matter how hard I tried to keep the wash away from my eyes, it was drying out my eye lids and under eye area. Bad ; ( So I figured that a pad might be a better way to go. I should say that I use he Differin because of acne and it helps with aging too. But I do not have oily skin at all. It is normal with flakes from DIfferin . . .
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

NurseRecru­iter126655671213869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago
Not all the pads like Dr. D, Serious Skin Care, Philosophy, PTR have salicylic acid, a beta hydroxy acid All of them DO have some type of alpha hydroxy acid like glycolic or lactic (the most popular).
So the main difference is that the pads are either all AHAs or a combination of AHAs and BHA (salicylic acid). Stridex is ONLY salicylic acid.
Plus, the other pads have other beneficial ingredients such as anti-oxidants, most have witch hazel for tightening pores (very temporary), and some buffering ingredients to keep down irritation.
Finally, the pH of the other pads could be different which can effect how effective or irritating the pads are. I'm sure a widely distributed product like Stridex would keep irritation to a minimum but it also could mean it is slightly less effective (not all 2% salicylic acid are created equal, the pH is an important factor in efficacy and irritation)
Probably more than you wanted to know!
--
I always welcome Facebook friend requests - see my profile!

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

MissSugarK­ane1266557447118 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007
I wouldn't pay more for the pads that claim to have antioxidants because the jars expose the ingredients to light and air which diminishes the effectives anyway.
I checked the reviews of Stridex pads at Beautypedia and they were all scored badly due to irritating ingredients, even the ones without alcohol.
I use Paula's Choice for my salicylic product because they are gentle ingredients and the proper ph.
--
Jamie
--
Edited by MissSugarKane at 02/18/2010 8:35 PM PST

Last edited on 2/18/2010

Jamie

mkcw1266558274451 PostsRegistered 5/9/2008
Thanks for all the responses thus far! Tomorrow when I am more awake ; ) I will check out a few different brands and compare the ingredients. I don't see he Stridex really doing much good for me. And I have given it 2 weeks.
If anyone else wants to respond, I'd love it!
Do you like Dr. Denese's firming pads??? Would this help me get rid of flakes? He serum and moisturizer broke me out so I have since stayed away from her products. But that was several years ago.

colson12666158367437 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
Big differences between the two: Stridex is two percent salicylic acid. Various lines have more or less this percentage, but this is strong. It is formulated for acne prone skin, to clean out pores and a new jar comes with a lid filled with benzoyl peroxide as a blemish treatment. It is meant as acne treatment. I keep it around as a spot emergency treatment, but not something for everyday use -- learned that the hard way.
Dr Denese's pads are glycolic, not salicylic and meant to gently exfoliate skin as a step after cleaning. Works like a very mild peel over time. I have had in salon glycolic treatment,and this is weaker than those but in the same family, but good over time. Helps to clean up skin, remove dead skin cells, etc.
Some other pads and some peels, such as Philosophy can also use lactic acids and some glycolic ingredients.
Most of the age treatment pads like Dr D are glycolic, Stridex is pretty drying over the long time and not meant to be used like Dr. Denese pads.
Using too many retinols, AHAs, and similar products together, at the same time can be harsh and cause skin problems so if you use Denese retinol, be careful what else you are using with it. I have sensitive fair skin and her skin care line doesn't cause breakouts, and that could be related to conflict of use. Try one product at a time.
Most retinol products warn about overloading too many things together, so check on any conflicts as you add and subtract things to your regime.

Kimberly32712666178651677 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008
> Not all the pads like Dr. D, Serious Skin Care,
> Philosophy, PTR have salicylic acid, a beta hydroxy
> acid All of them DO have some type of alpha hydroxy
> acid like glycolic or lactic (the most popular).
>
> So the main difference is that the pads are either
> all AHAs or a combination of AHAs and BHA (salicylic
> acid). Stridex is ONLY salicylic acid.
>
> Plus, the other pads have other beneficial
> ingredients such as anti-oxidants, most have witch
> hazel for tightening pores (very temporary), and some
> buffering ingredients to keep down irritation.
>
> Finally, the pH of the other pads could be different
> which can effect how effective or irritating the pads
> are. I'm sure a widely distributed product like
> Stridex would keep irritation to a minimum but it
> also could mean it is slightly less effective (not
> all 2% salicylic acid are created equal, the pH is an
> important factor in efficacy and irritation)
>
> Probably more than you wanted to know!
>
> --
> I always welcome Facebook friend requests - see my
> profile!
You are indeed the Google Queen! Have you EVER given the facts about a product you've actually used? (You might have, if it were free.)

Page 1 of 1