Give Gorgeous
105 Members and 11977 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How do I fix my dark brown roots to match my light blonde hair??? HELP

Started 1280549560.59 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1280714065.79 by VioletEyes

Ok, like, many of you, I am trying my hardest to skimp on some of my beauty routines. I have long blonde hair that I have been getting done professionally for more than a decade. I go about every 4 weeks, and pay $100 or more every time. I would really like to try touching up my own roots, but am afraid of messing up the color. Does anyone have any suggestions on specifics of what I should do? I did a few searches but didnt see anything for blondes and am hoping if there are any secrets for us blondies, someone will give me a heads up. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
manny21280549756.161786 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

Ask your hair dresser, tell her you want to be able to do touch ups if you can't get in. She will guide you on the right color choice. Doing roots is so easy and cheap yourself.

rebel1280573307.4335458 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

great question . sorry i have no idea what to suggest.

i am interested to see what responses you get

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

laughs-alot1280666417.9160 PostsRegistered 1/17/2008

Anyone have any suggestions for me and my yucky roots?

Shelbelle1280670157.4334782 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I saw in the paper today, L"Oreal has a new root touch up system out, Walmart has it for $7.

nuck1280670284.16737 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern 'burbs of Atlanta

Root Touch up by Clairol works well for me and I have seen the new one from L'Oreal - the Clairol one is really easy to use - If I can do it anyone can{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

jonnycat1280672462.107202 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

This would be a difficult thing to do at home. I am hairdresser. If your hairdresser has to use a 30 or 40 volume peroxide color or bleach to acheive your blonde, there isnt a at home root touch up that is above 20 volume. If it isnt strong enough to lift your brown to blonde, it WILL make your roots look orange or red, not blonde. Ask her for advice. I am a dark brunette who goes quite blonde, and an in between fix is even difficult for professionals. One thing i have found to disguise the dark roots the best is JOAN RIVERS GREAT HAIR DAY in the blonde shade, and i use a stiff brush that is bigger than what comes with it. Mineral makeup foundation also works well brushed on. I would rather use these on myself than deal with orange or yellow roots in between. Those off color root color jobs also affect how your total color will turn out on the day of your pro color.HTH>

Blondelle1280673110.3974266 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

To go from dark brown to light blonde is often a two part process using bleach. I don't think you can do that at home without making a mess of it. There are some kits for home use that are higher lift and might use a 30-40% developer, but if they don't lift enough you will end up with orangy roots as that's the color you get before lifting to light blonde. Your best bet is to go back to the salon and ask your colorist to add lowlights to your hair to match your roots. That way you can go a longer time between touchups. A touchup can then be just adding blonde highlights to the new growth. Highlights are also easier on the hair than all over color, and you can go a few months between. Looks more natural too, and you can still maintain your light blonde look.

laughs-alot1280702850.13360 PostsRegistered 1/17/2008

Ok ladies, I appreciate the professional opinion so much! I do regularly (every other salon visit) have lowlights put in (I'm a lil high maintence). I think I have medium brown hair. Ive been having it done for so many years, I honestly only know what color my roots are! Everywhere else-eyebrows, arms, legs--all naturally superlight blonde. But my paid-for-color is pretty light blonde, so I guess Ill keep paying to have my roots done b/c I dont want to mess up all my hairchick's hard work! the Joan Rivers product did interest me, maybe I'll check it out. Thanks!

Jam1280712698.0871600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

I would love to be able to do my hair at home instead of the endless highlighting sessions. I would love to just go totally blonde and be able to touch up my roots but I know that it takes a 40 volume to get the highlights I'm looking for and I look horrid in gold or red as I have very cool-toned skin. I read (don't know if it's true) that Pamela Anderson has always bleached her own hair with a Clairol product. Would be so nice.

Don't make me use UPPERCASE! ~~~ Maxine

How do you prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out! ~~~ Maxine

Cardamom1280713098.696868 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

To cut costs have you considered going to a beauty college? It's not as scary as it sounds. They have to have their instructors double check every step they make. You can even ask for someone very experienced.

VioletEyes1280714065.7913180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

I use a high lift one process blonde color by L'Oreal and it comes up to a beautiful shade of blonde. I tried the Excellence line but didn't find it took me blonde enough but the Preference line was perfect.

If you have difficulty with doing it yourself there are all kinds of tutorials on the internet teaching how to make dark hair blonde. Step-by-step instructions on how to section and do the roots. My base color is light brown and I have only a slight amount of grey.

After years of getting so-so results at the hair salon and spending a small fortune this is the prettiest blonde color I have ever had. It is full of highlights and not damaged.

The last time I had my hair cut the head colorist came over to ask me about it because she was so impressed. I think she was shocked when I told her I did it myself.

Page 1 of 1