Better Than Black Friday
121 Members and 17625 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

what is the best shampoo/conditioner for Color treated, very dry hair

Started 1280429168.04 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1280448942.25 by doglover3

Looking for something that adds shine and body (without any stiffness). Right now I'm using wen but it gets costly

Page 1 of 1
snowleopard1280429339.6071089 PostsRegistered 4/12/2008

For me, Redken's Color Extend poo and conditioner does wonders to counter the dryness. And, to add shine/softness/no-frizz, I spritz a tiny bit of Miracle 7 leave in spray from Sally's.

Billdaph12­991280429464.54415 PostsRegistered 3/25/2010

Ojon or Wen. They work wonders.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

wackers1280429536.6977058 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007SW

Keratase is an excellent line of hair products ...... InStyle magazine just had it as their Editors Choice in the moisturizing shampoo and conditioner category. At retail, it's pretty pricey but try googling it and you should find some online sites that sell it for a lot less. I have used it and it really made a difference in hydrating my hair with lots of shine and body. I need to get some more myself as I have not found anything else I like quite as much. I do use Wen as my conditioner in damp hair but not as my main shampoo anymore.

Bella HS1280430183.9338076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

You'll get hundreds of different answers but hair goes for me....Loreals Everpure (no sulfates) and TreSemme's Natural Line. I have long (waist length) fine color treated hair. I quit using the Q's top selling brands and am very happy with my CVS purchases.

NeNe10101280430308.007610 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana

I love Carol's Daughter's new Hair Milk shampoo, conditioner and hair styling cream. I have thick, dry, coarse, color hair treated hair and this stuff does wonders for it.

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

sydsgma1280430310.6273626 PostsRegistered 2/11/2008land of ice and snow and valley of the sun

I use the Alterna Caviar line -a little pricey but worth the money.

Giggle a bit...it is good for the soul.

LynFriend1280431047.77358 PostsRegistered 11/1/2007WV

I found Pravana-Hydrating line to be a god send... I'm hooked on it.. I do alternate with Wen, Fig & Lavender, but I have to say the Pravana works the best... I have hightlighted hair, med fine texture, slightly natual curl, age 51... and since I have used this shampoo, conditioner, and the "blue" leave-in spray conditioner....all I can say is... what took so long to have the hair I've always wanted..!?!

http://pravana.com/v2/vis/products/hydrating.php

(forgot to mention that this practically eliminates the "frizz" on humid days.. my hairdresser even commented that I don't have the usual "frizz" anymore, even with the hot weather that we're having here lately..)

Last edited on 7/29/2010

Last edited on 7/29/2010

.. I may not know what tomorrow holds, but I do know Who holds tomorrow ...

Cranberries1280431381.810771 PostsRegistered 4/14/2009

L'Oreal Ever Pure (or the L'Oreal Ever Strong) They are 100% sulfate free and are designed for colored hair. I've used both the Ever Pure and the Ever Strong. The Ever Pure has formulas for frizz, moisture, etc. The Ever Strong is just that, for hair that is dry, damaged, weak, with moisture and hydration formulas. Either one would be good for colored hair imo. I've used both and like them very much. They don't strip your hair or your color and my hair never feels either stiff or weighed down.

They sell them in tubes (shampoo and conditioner) the shampoo is thick, you might first use it and think "Wow this doesn't lather" it does. Just put some in, work it around and stick your head under the water for a couple of seconds, work it in some more and you'll get a lot of suds.

The conditioners are really good too. They both smell very nice. Rosemary/Minty herbal type scent. They're about $7-$8 a tube. Can find them at places like Walgreen's, Walmart, etc.

It's all I've been using anymore. Probably for about a year at least. You can tell a big difference in shampoos that have sulfates and ones that don't. Glad I tried these when they first came out. Loving them!

HTH

Lowry831280431704.1873401 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008

I saw the title of this thread and wanted to answer -- WEN -- then I read the rest of your post. Yes, WEN is pricey, but it is by far the best line I've used on my own color treated, formerly very dry, hair. I thought the WEN Fig would be best for me because of its moisturizing properties, but it turns out that any of the WEN cleansers do a much better job for me and leave my hair much softer than any lathering shampoo. I've had decent results with some Carol's Daughter shampoos, but one day I realized that I didn't want to lather my newly highlighted hair. I asked myself, if I don't want to lather now, why should I ever lather? It has been WEN only for me ever since.

Pomeranian­Fluff1280431789.54937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

Wen fig is great for very dry hair. That's all I will let touch my hair!

QVCdebt1280432092.4134578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York

I actually really like the Garnier line. I have color treated hair, and this has worked well for me.

I have also used Dove haircare too. I like them both!

libbydibby1280440923.93339 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007USA

If you have a Sally's near you they have a new sulfate free shampoo called "Silk Elements" for color treated hair and I have used it and so far have been pleased. Also, Sally's carries a generic version of Pureology's shampoo (Sorrry, forgot the name) and this line seems to work pretty well also.

bjm671280444834.393369 PostsRegistered 5/16/2009
On 7/29/2010 wackers said:

Keratase is an excellent line of hair products ...... InStyle magazine just had it as their Editors Choice in the moisturizing shampoo and conditioner category. At retail, it's pretty pricey but try googling it and you should find some online sites that sell it for a lot less. I have used it and it really made a difference in hydrating my hair with lots of shine and body. I need to get some more myself as I have not found anything else I like quite as much. I do use Wen as my conditioner in damp hair but not as my main shampoo anymore.

ITA - IMO, Keratase makes the very best haircare on the planet - evil lather and all! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} The line has given me more "Is this my hair??" moments than anything I have ever tried. They have a line for color treated hair but I think you'd be extremely happy with Bain Satin 2 - developed for moderately dry hair...never weighs my hair down in the slightest - just shiny, bouncy hair and a healthy scalp. So far, the best place on the web I have found is www.luxuryparlor.com I'll be in France later this year and I plan to stock up like crazy since it's about half the price there thru certain resellers.

qvcbigshop­per1280446600.79565 PostsRegistered 8/17/2009

Thank you for this post! Always looking too.

fave -*n hollywood glam oil*
*amazing cosmetics*, *matis*,
qvc fave- *bliss*
( all working-thanks for the advice!)

doglover31280448942.259891 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 7/29/2010 Cranberries said:

L'Oreal Ever Pure (or the L'Oreal Ever Strong) They are 100% sulfate free and are designed for colored hair. I've used both the Ever Pure and the Ever Strong. The Ever Pure has formulas for frizz, moisture, etc. The Ever Strong is just that, for hair that is dry, damaged, weak, with moisture and hydration formulas. Either one would be good for colored hair imo. I've used both and like them very much. They don't strip your hair or your color and my hair never feels either stiff or weighed down.

They sell them in tubes (shampoo and conditioner) the shampoo is thick, you might first use it and think "Wow this doesn't lather" it does. Just put some in, work it around and stick your head under the water for a couple of seconds, work it in some more and you'll get a lot of suds.

The conditioners are really good too. They both smell very nice. Rosemary/Minty herbal type scent. They're about $7-$8 a tube. Can find them at places like Walgreen's, Walmart, etc.

It's all I've been using anymore. Probably for about a year at least. You can tell a big difference in shampoos that have sulfates and ones that don't. Glad I tried these when they first came out. Loving them!

HTH

totally agree cranberries, I use both the ever strong but I also like Garnier. I have tried both Wen and Ojon and neither were for me or for my hair I should say. I have a lot of hair but it is very very fine and colored. It is down to my waist as well. I really love both, Garnier and L'Oreal ever strong, would be hard to me to choose one over the other so I alternate, works the best for me, month about. Sometimes I think the change helps?

Page 1 of 1