Shoes & Handbags Offers
156 Members and 12566 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Need Tooth Whitener that will whiten dental work such as fillings, etc...

Started 1266337772 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1266350487 by Karsa
I want a product to whiten my teeth which have never been super white anyway but my front tooth has a composite (tooth colored) filling and all the strips say they will not whiten these.
I've thought about Super Smile which claims to whiten the fillings and other dental work but the reviews on this product were not that great.
My daughter has used Crest Advanced Seal White strips and they have made a big difference but if they will not whiten the filling on that front tooth, they are not an option for me.
Anyone with dental work on front teeth, tried anything that works on teeth and dental work? Thanks

Page 1 of 1
KathyPet12663383398048 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
As far as I know none of the tooth whitening system will work on anything besides your natural teeth. I know that the in office bleaching systems that use the ultra violet lights will not change the color of anything but natural teeth. Neither will the trays with the gel that you can purchase through your dentist. I chipped a front tooth many years ago and had to have it "Bonded". I have used the ultra violet light system of tooth bleaching and the gel trays and neither of them did anything to lighten the color of the bonded area of the front tooth. My dentist told me that none of the tooth whitening products would work on the bonded area. What I ended up doing was going back to my dentist after the bleaching and then he reapplied the bonding surface coloring to that area so that it matched the rest of my teeth.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

catlady1201266338478217 PostsRegistered 6/6/2007
My 2 front teeth are dental implants & I tried the Super Smile. Save your money as this didn't do a thing for me.
I too would be interested in hearing about something that has whiten with dental work. I have my doubts that a product like this exists as it seems that you would not be able to change the color of a cap, filling etc. Maybe remove stains but not whiten.

shopping1126633860289 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Yeah KathyPet the bonding is what I have...sorry my mind just couldn't get it out. I figure that is what I may have to do is to do the whitening and see if it works and then if does (because some people just don't ever get big whitening results) have the dentist fix the bonding.
Thanks

kalina1266338718193 PostsRegistered 12/17/2004
Thank you for answering a question I had regarding whitening crowns and fillings. I have three caps on my front teeth and it would be quite expensive to have all 3 replaced to a whiter color. I guess I keep what I have.

KathyPet12663387538048 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Yes my dentist said whiten first and then come in to him so that he could get the correct shade to re-do the bonded area.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

shopping1126633938889 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Yeah that makes sense. And I know bonded has had to be replaced once or twice over all the years due to wear and tear and since it is a front tooth..wear and tear more obvious.

Karsa12663424501081 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006
My top 8 front teeth are bonded and there has never been anything that worked until I tried Super Smile. I had GREAT results using this, much to my total shock. You have to use as directed (dry toothbrush), but I saw results within a week.

PBJ12663478736821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
My understanding is the actual color can't be changed but superficial stains can be removed returning the dental work to its original color.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lulu2126634808520994 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
If it is a crown, I do not believe it can be whitened any lighter than it's original color. The dentist matches it to your surrounding teeth. If you lighten the surrounding natural teeth, there will be a difference.

ladyroxanne126634851110991 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca
Whitening on bonding or filled teeth only removes stains. You can't change the original color. I use Super Smile and it keeps the stains off my teeth and the couple crowns that I have.

Karsa12663504871081 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006
> Whitening on bonding or filled teeth only removes
> stains. You can't change the original color. I use
> Super Smile and it keeps the stains off my teeth and
> the couple crowns that I have.
You're right. I mis-read the question. I thought this was about bringing bonding back to the original shade. SuperSmile truly worked in that way even though I am very overdue for re-doing this bonding work...I had it done around 1997, and thought it was impossible to lighten. I didn't think it was possible to bring the lighter color back, but it did.
As for lightening partial to a color that it never was. Not gonna happen - darnit!
K :)

Page 1 of 1