Back to School
12 Members and 9071 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Best Drugstore Box Haircolor for Brown Hair

Started 1280078984.29 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1280428167.97 by lulu2

Just like the thread for blones, I am tired for paying to color my hair, but I don't know which brand or shade to buy. I have Medium Brown hair. I know when I have it done at the salon he just shampoos it in. I can do that!!Is aone brand better than the other?

Page 1 of 2
sixcatsaz1280079980.26243 PostsRegistered 6/21/2006AZ

Hi - don't know if you have an issue with gray hair, but I found that the professional strength colors from Sally's Beauty Supply work so much better than the drugstore boxed brands. The drugstore brands would look great for a couple weeks, then the roots would lighten up because the color didn't adhere to the gray roots. Then the over-all color would fade. So now I use ION from Sally's, buy the large size developer, and then the 2-oz liquid color. You mix them 1:1, so two ounces of each per application (for my short hair). The color is much richer and dimensional, and stays that way for 4-5 weeks. And my roots only show with new growth, not fading. The developer was about five dollars (many apps) and the color is less than three dollars per application. You can order on-line if you don't have a Sally's in your area. Just a suggestion!

csv3201280081016.396724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

If you go to clairol.com they give you a quiz and they tell you the perfect product for your haircolor needs.

NurseRecru­iter1280082386.31713869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

I have medium to dark brown hair and have colored my own hair for years. Honestly, brown is so easy that I just buy what is on sale. However, I do have favorites and they are Feria and Garnier in the green box. I'm not even sure why they are favorites, but they are!

Just get any Medium Brown and here are my hints: 1) Leave it on the time they state and even longer but NEVER shorter. I think for resistant greys they say to leave on an extra five minutes - I alway add yet ANOTHER five minutes beyond that. 2) No need to shampoo afterward, just use the packet or tube of conditioner as directed. 3) Better to color hair that is not clean so skip a day of shampooing or do it at night if you shampooed in the morning. 4) Finally, remember that color pulls color. This means that if your hair is currently colored (and it is), no matter what color you use, your hair will pull the dark pigments. So if you think you will be safe as a first timer and just buy Light Brown, it will pull medium brown anyway. Even if you used dark blonde, it would do this!

5) My final hint is a big one and based on the color pulls color information. I am at least 60% grey. I ONLY color my roots every 3 to 4 weeks. You will notice the box instructions say to leave the color on your roots for XX minutes (each box varies). Then they ALL say to comb the color through to the rest of your hair for the last 5 minutes. I NEVER do this. After a while, your hair will get darker and darker because the color pulls color. If you feel like your color is fading, then maybe do this every second or third time or better yet, get a shower filter - heaven! The fact is that while you are doing your roots, the rest of your hair will come in contact with the dye and for me, that was sufficient to maintain vibrancy to the rest of my hair. I have shoulder length hair and I'm not neat about the process so plenty enough dye got on the rest of my hair and so I never felt it necessary to comb the color through the last five minutes.

Very, very easy.

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

Sunshine K­ate1280092585.3811994 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

Does anybody know how to fix haircolor if gone too dark? My hair is jet black and my normal haircolor is dark brown. It looks terrible. I don't know what to do. I want it medium to dark brown.

Any ideas?

Respectfully ~
Kate

southres1280100724.32233 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008

Sunshine Kate, The same thing happened to me about 3 months ago. it was my very first time coloring my med. brown hair. I went to Sally's and the SA helped me find the exact match to my natural hair. It came out sooo dark....black-brown. It was definitely noticeable...my husband noticed right away. After about 2 weeks it had lightened up on its own. In fact people asked me how I fixed my hair when I hadn't done anything. If you can live with it a little on the dark side, I say wait it out. Having only colored my hair once, I don't claim to be an expert. Maybe someone on the BB can be more help. I actually liked the change in the color. I always liked dark brown hair!! Good luck!

Gemini52961280101161.807128 PostsRegistered 1/2/2007

I too am tired of paying someone else to do my haircolor and just recently began doing it myself. I am a fan of most all Loreal products so I went to their website and took the quiz to find the right color for me. They regularly have sales on these products but just last week I found my Loreal color at TJ Maxx for $3.00! I am brunette too and my color is 6N in Loreal. What ever brand you choose, I would suggest you go online and take the quiz to get the right color choice for you. I would have never been able to make a decision just looking at the boxes in the store with out the info I gained from the website.

Amaly1280101520.9733466 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008so cali

I use Colorsilk #40, but may order from Sally's as suggested by a poster depending how much s&h they charge. I am 3 hrs from a Sally's.

Jayro1280101731.7371907 PostsRegistered 11/29/2008

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Hair-Color/Nice-'n-Easy-Permanent-Color/ID=prod392639-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku392640

I have medium brown hair. I don't like red/brassy tones. Clairol Nice and Easy #116 is Natural Light Neutral Brown. Even though it says Light, it is a medium brown. No brassiness.

mallrat1280102108.85581 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

I use Revlon Colorsilk in Black/Brown or Dark Brown. They both blend well with my dark brown hair. Walgreen's usually has it on sale a couple times a month for 1.99/2.29. I buy 3-4 boxes at a time. It's amonia free and does not damage my hair. I don't see the point of spending $$$ at a salon unless I want to do highlights or do a drastic change. Just make sure you deep condition afterwards.

Last edited on 7/25/2010

Last edited on 7/25/2010

Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.

sissy21280106192.64178 PostsRegistered 7/4/2006

I love Ferria (sp?), I have med. brown/brown hair. I buy "Havana" Ferrira color. I also like Gariner. Stay away from any chestnuts, or red unless you wants LOTS of red coming out in your hair. Good luck.

RinaQ1280106620.34281 PostsRegistered 2/3/2007NY

I love the new Loreal 10 Minute hair color. I've been dying my own hair for years. Had it done once in the salon, way too expensive. Loreal's seems to last long with grays and doesn't really fade. I was using Nice & Easy, but that fades. My hair does get very dark. My hairdresser told me it was because I do my entire head rather than just touching up the roots. I've tried to do just the roots, but it's so difficult. So I live with dark hair Smile

happydayz1280130525.0635 PostsRegistered 7/20/2010
On 7/25/2010 Sunshine Kate said:

Does anybody know how to fix haircolor if gone too dark? My hair is jet black and my normal haircolor is dark brown. It looks terrible. I don't know what to do. I want it medium to dark brown.

Any ideas?

The only thing that has worked for me when I have gone to dark is to shampoo with baby shampoo, like Johnson & Johnson's. I got that tip from a hairdresser years ago. I think it must have something in it that fades color quickly.

foodfaerie1280132371.433699 PostsRegistered 5/7/2010Birmingham,Alabama

Sunshine Kate...I've done that too. I agree with Happydayz. I've never tried Baby Shampoo but I use a clarifying shampoo to fade it out a little. Suave makes one that works just fine. Use it 2 days in a row.

starpolish­er1280135264.043904 PostsRegistered 11/14/2005

I use Herbashine by Garnier. I have very little grey but what I do have is mostly up front at my hairline. It makes it look like subtle highlights. I don't use permanent color. I think this is less damaging to my hair. I use #533 medium gold mahogany brown. I have med brown hair. I use shades 1-2 times lighter than my own so it won't come out to dark. I like it to look natural. I really like this product and it gives lots of shine! I've also used Clairol nice n easy but like this better!

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/herbashine/index.aspx

""A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." ~ Bernard Meltzer

lg31280135703.84339 PostsRegistered 5/2/2010

Clariol Natural Instincts works like a charm for me. I've been using it for 15 years. It covers my grays, fades gradually, always looks natural. The conditioner included is awesome too. Choose your shade by the type of highlight you see in your hair in the sun (gold, red, neutral). I'm a med. brown with red highlights. I use a Pecan or Navajo bronze shades to get more golden highlights. It works to mix 2 different shades too--if you're brave, just stay in the same color family (golds, reds, neutral) undertones. Good luck with whatever you choose; I'm sure you will love the results you get from home and save lots besides!

lisadpa1280136098.993897 PostsRegistered 3/5/2010SE PA

I really like the Excellence 10 minute in Medium Natural Brown. It's beautiful color, consistent, FAST, and you get great grey coverage. I've a ton of stubborn grey, esp. in my sides and I leave on 15 min. total. You can mix shades as well...1/2 Med gold brown for more tones. Natural Instincts is nice but it's a semi-permanent, so it washes away.

Store color isn't what it used to be. My long thick hair is in gorgeous condition.

erniesdaug­hter1280150908.97248 PostsRegistered 2/14/2008

I have gray in my hair and the best that I have found for me anyways, is Loreal Excellence. My natural hair color is medium brown with gold highlights (was blonde as a kid). I use 6G Light Golden Brown. It comes out closest to my natural color and it seems to cover my gray best. Good luck. I had to try several brands and colors to find one I really like.

As far as the ladies whose hair turned out dark, I had that happen to me once. First I tried washing & washing & washing my hair but it didn't help. I went to the drug store and bought a color remover. It took the color completely out. Your hair may be a strange color, I was totally blonde. You can color your hair again after, but be careful. Read the directions on the color remover. It will explain it all. Hope this helps.

CocoaMolly1280153084.28819 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007Midwest

I just started coloring my hair mainly because I have a few grays in my hair line; and when I pull my hair back, they are very noticeable. After reading many, many forums on hair dye, I decided to go with Garnier Herbashine (semi-permanent) since I don't have many grays and I definitely didn't want that noticeable line when my hair grows out and didn't want to change my natural color. I have very thick, curly hair just below my shoulders that is dry. My husband helped me color it, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. I was so afraid my hair would be extremely dry after coloring since it's already dry, but I was wrong.

I choose the medium ash brown (didn't want any brassiness), and it definitely came out very, very dark. My natural hair color is dark brown. It came out almost a black-brown (probably 2 shades darker than my natural color). However, after about 2 weeks or so, it was pretty much back to my natural color. And, after 3 weeks, I can see a few tiny grays peeking through (not too bad). I'm probably going to recolor this upcoming weekend and use the light ash brown and hope it comes pretty close to my natural hair color.

I have an appointment with my hair stylist to color at the end of August that I'm going to cancel since it's so easy to do at home.

itsMe1280154435.8173605 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
On 7/25/2010 sixcatsaz said:

Hi - don't know if you have an issue with gray hair, but I found that the professional strength colors from Sally's Beauty Supply work so much better than the drugstore boxed brands. The drugstore brands would look great for a couple weeks, then the roots would lighten up because the color didn't adhere to the gray roots. Then the over-all color would fade. So now I use ION from Sally's, buy the large size developer, and then the 2-oz liquid color. You mix them 1:1, so two ounces of each per application (for my short hair). The color is much richer and dimensional, and stays that way for 4-5 weeks. And my roots only show with new growth, not fading. The developer was about five dollars (many apps) and the color is less than three dollars per application. You can order on-line if you don't have a Sally's in your area. Just a suggestion!

I agree 100% with sixcatsaz! ION from Sally's is a terrific, easy, effective, and inexpensive product. For my hair, it is far superior to any drugstore brand I've tried. I use the cream rather than the liquid, but both are great.

kelsey 031280155006.14781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

i 2nd the natural instincts by clairol. its a level 2 so it washes out .. it fades evenly so you dont notice much change. i use the brass free brunettes lightest brown. 6.5 C. i match the dark blonde yet resistant grays are better covered with lightest brown. its fairly dark also till it washes out some. ive used natural instincts for several yrs. changing the colors also.

basketsiam1280155851.41460 PostsRegistered 6/16/2009

I have naturally dark brown (almost black) hair. To avoid getting it too dark when I color, I use one shade lighter than my natural shade. Clairol's Perfect 10 in medium golden brown works well for me. I'm quite careful in applying it to my roots. I use the squeeze bottle that comes with the haircolor and then brush it in with a brush I purchsed at Sally's, similar to a paintbrush. Your stylist may have used a similar brush when he colored your hair. I leave the haircolor on my roots for about 15 minutes, and brush it through the rest of my longer hair for only the last minute or two. In between full colors, I use Clairol's root touch-up just to cover the grays that are peeking through. Hope this helps.....Cool

Shelbelle1280174539.8233990 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Revlon Colorsilk,cheapest too!! They have new Luminasta shades just for brunettes too.

Dalee721280192789.633125 PostsRegistered 11/28/2009Birmingham, Alabama

Funny how I found this post after I did the same thing:) I too have been tired of paying 120 a pop every 4-6 weeks due to some gray roots (thanks mom and dad) :/...Anway, I would say I am about 20% gray. My natural hair is med/light brown. I had highlights done a few months ago and I just did not want to go to the salon right now. I got brave and bought 2 boxes of L'oreal Superior preference in med brown to color over my highlights. It was very scary and messy at first but I have the hang of it now and I will not be going back to the salon unless I need a trim. I honestly like my hair better now than when I had it colored at the salon. The conditioner that comes in the box is amazing. My hair looks and feels so healthy. I am so happy that I took the chance. Now I have extra money to spend on clothes or makeup or whatever. I cannot justify getting it colored at the salon anymore. One thing I want to mention is that my hair looked darker in my bathroom than it does outside in the sunlight. So, I would say that the med. brown in the Superior Preference is a true med. brown. It looks much lighter outside. I colored my hair 2 weeks ago and it still looks good. So far, I haven't noticed any fading. I will go over my roots probabably in another 2 weeks with the new root touch up from L'oreal.

jordin1280299224.9235 PostsRegistered 7/27/2010

Loreal excellence !

ibb381280320424.85311872 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have medium-dark brown hair, I only get grey in spots and it's so frustrating. The greys are stubborn as anything! I find not washing my bair the day before- and the day or two after helps the color last well. I condition only those days- Wen or Hair One at most.

I also found over the years that going lighter is much more natural looking- and the greys shine less when they show up again! Ash brown shades are more natural too.. Plain light brown is ok but it's a flatter shade. And golden light brown brings out my natural reddish tones so my hair looks brassy wihtin a couple week.

Grey Coverage is one of my favorites- although I've been experimenting with other light ash brown brands. With not washing my hair too soon afterwads- the color last much better. I'll also use the root touch up kits the stores have... sometimes that's all I need.

I aslo bought a packet from Sally's that's supposed to make the color last longer... haven't tried that yet.

Page 1 of 2