Share the Love
152 Members and 16220 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What is the best at home hair color for blondes?

Started 1279847555.43 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1280139535.253 by Trippey

I decided I am no longer going to spend 90.00 to have my hair highlighted at the salon. I want my hair to be a neatral light bright blonde. I like the look of the nice and easy color blend but wondering if any of you have tried it and had success? Not sure if I want something where I have to paint on highlights either.

TIA!

Page 1 of 1
VioletEyes1279848094.70313180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

My natural hair-color is a light brown to dark blonde and I use the High Lift L'Oreal Preference les Blondissimes LB01 Extra Light Ash Blonde.

I have just a slight amount of gray and it comes out very highlighted on that part of my hair and the rest of my hair is a pretty shade of blonde and very natural looking.

When I used to go to the salon for highlights I was never satisfied because I didn't like the contrast between the dark blonde and the highlights. It always looked fake to me.

This looks sun-kissed and I am the happiest I have ever been with being a blonde.

I found it leaves my hair in beautiful condition and it just shimmers with highlights. I apply it every 3 weeks because I am a stickler about roots. Love this product.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Lori K1279848227592 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I would love to be able to do my own highlights as well. I used to pay $130 and gave it up because I thought it was way too much money.

love BE1279886458.8431148 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007SD
On 7/22/2010 VioletEyes said:

My natural hair-color is a light brown to dark blonde and I use the High Lift L'Oreal Preference les Blondissimes LB01 Extra Light Ash Blonde.

I have just a slight amount of gray and it comes out very highlighted on that part of my hair and the rest of my hair is a pretty shade of blonde and very natural looking.

When I used to go to the salon for highlights I was never satisfied because I didn't like the contrast between the dark blonde and the highlights. It always looked fake to me.

This looks sun-kissed and I am the happiest I have ever been with being a blonde.

I found it leaves my hair in beautiful condition and it just shimmers with highlights. I apply it every 3 weeks because I am a stickler about roots. Love this product.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Thanks! I checked out their website and looks like a good option for me. I also like the Feria options for blondes..and then they also have a whole blonde line.

StylishWom­an1279887661.29765 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009SW FL

I've used Clairol Nice and Easy #102 Light Ash Blond for years. It works for me.

Billdaph12­991279888370.253415 PostsRegistered 3/25/2010

I just bought a highlight kit by loreal and a friend of mine is going to do it for me later today so I will tell you how it goes. Like you I always went to the beauty parlor and paid $90 plus dollars to have my hair highlighted.

twocent1279889598.5639586 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008

L'Oreal. Even my stylist comments on it . There are several formulas ~

choose which one fits your preference. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. :(

TeresaJ1279894261.817117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006

I highly recommend Garnier Nutrisse 100 - chamomile. It is light neutral blonde. I was so scared to go permanent. But it turned out fantastic.

fireflygirl1279895238.02932 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007Midwest

I do not use blond, I'm a use a red color, but the Loreal is the best at home color I have found.

"Never trade what you want right now for what you really want."
JRR Tolkein

rebel1279898092.5875407 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

good luck and please let us know which product you choose and how it went.

i would love to do my color and highlights myself but am waaaayyyy to chicken! my hair is really porous and i have had enough professional hairstylists mess up the color and/or highlights, that i am too afraid to try it myself.

doesn't stop my from thinking about it! LOL but i always chicken out.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

angelsareo­ut1280033819.0376912 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

Frederick Fekkai

AngelPuppy11280059966.28377 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

I've been coloring my hair at home for years because I did not like the way it turned out at the hair salon, I was sick of the high prices, was tired of how long it took, and it was getting very dry. I started using Herbal Essence - Blonde Bombshell - a very light pastel blonde - and have had very good luck. However, it is getting very hard to find. I can currently only find it at Walmart and on line. I want to mention though that if you have not ever used a blonde coloring on your hair with "ash", please be careful! I never had and decided to try one because the box color looked pretty ---- disaster!!! My hair turned out a blue gray color!!! It was necessary for me to go to a salon to have it lifted out!!! Just thought I'd mention this!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

Jam1280068692.8531600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Oh VioletEyes! You make me want to try this. I am so tired of salon highlights. They take so long and are so expensive. I would love to have something that I could do myself. My natural color is getting darker and I might be one shade darker than your natural color and I have the problem that my hair just quits bleaching. My stylist has to use a 40 to get it out light enough for me and I hate my hair golden as my skin tone is very cool-toned. Maybe I could do a test strip. Your hair sounds wonderful and is just what I am looking for.

Don't make me use UPPERCASE! ~~~ Maxine

How do you prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out! ~~~ Maxine

Jam1280075500.8631600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Bumping for all the blonde bombshells!

love BE1280084945.261148 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007SD
On 7/25/2010 Jam said:

Oh VioletEyes! You make me want to try this. I am so tired of salon highlights. They take so long and are so expensive. I would love to have something that I could do myself. My natural color is getting darker and I might be one shade darker than your natural color and I have the problem that my hair just quits bleaching. My stylist has to use a 40 to get it out light enough for me and I hate my hair golden as my skin tone is very cool-toned. Maybe I could do a test strip. Your hair sounds wonderful and is just what I am looking for.

Sounds like me...I pay almost 100.00 and 2 weeks later I hate the color and it looks way too dark and golden. I want an all over white blonde...my natural color is like an ash dark blonde so I don't think I would pick anything with the word ash. I am also very cool toned so I think I need my hair to be that way too or more neutral anyway.

nunu4u1280085459.3938619 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

Shelbelle talked me into Revlon Colorsilk and its worked out well! I have switched among several of the light blonde shades and they all look good. No ammonia and my hair is in good condition. No one has noticed a difference since I stopped paying the $$$ for salon color.

Jam1280086784.961600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
On 7/25/2010 nunu4u said:

Shelbelle talked me into Revlon Colorsilk and its worked out well! I have switched among several of the light blonde shades and they all look good. No ammonia and my hair is in good condition. No one has noticed a difference since I stopped paying the $$$ for salon color.

Thanks for posting! What is your natural hair color, if you don't mind me asking. I think that is key. I would prefer to go light and am afraid I have too much dark mixed in to accomplish that.

Emy1280094677.4474064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland

Hello Ladies!

I'm still experimenting with a new blonde look, because I just got tired of the one color or one color with some vague accents. I always use L'Oreal, because it has never let me down. I've let myself down, when I've chosen colors that weren't right for me, but liked the way the model looked on the box.

My hair is mousey brown with natural blonde highlights. I'm fair with blue eyes. Like most women, I take more care about how much sun I get on my face. But, it doesn't take much sun to bleach my hair completely blonde. One area in the back of my head seems to have darker roots - my grandmother had that same darker area. But, the new L'Oreal highlight kit with the fingertip brush may just solve that issue.

What I'm doing now may sound "off the wall," but it's working and giving me a much needed change from the old color.

About every three months, I color all over with - roots first and keep that on for the longest time - with the lightest Ash Blonde that Loreal makes - might be 9A -- it's nine something.

I am using WEN products, but after I use the ash, I wash once with a regular clarifiying shampoo, which gives me a nice all over color.

About three weeks later, I use la Petite Frost all over by L'Oreal in H75, Chardonnay. I do it myself. (My husband tried to help once, with the back, but just sent me into laughing hysterics when I saw him pointing that crochet hook thing at my head and then coming down, down, down.) So, he uses another hook -- to guide me with my hook -- into the every third hole in the cap.

Lately, I've been alternating with L'Oreal's New Frost kit that comes with an application tip that fits on your finger. I use this about a month before I'm going to have to do an all-over color. But again, I concentrate on the roots when I do the all over.

This newer method of applying highlights is easier and I brush (it looks like a "finger brush") it down closer to the roots, if my roots are more than 1/4 inch. I did this last night, and like what I'm seeing. I need to "learn" how to use this highlighting method more effectively. I can see where I could have used thinner hair strands in that back area I mentioned above.

Last night I used a lesser amount of the colorant and brushed - with the finger brush - through my temple hair and on the hair on nape of my neck.

So, I'm using three products, over a three month period, one per month.

So far, I like what I'm seeing. I do have shorter hair - trimmed around the lower part of the nape of my neck, longer on the top and back and with some layering from the longer areas on down. My hair meets in the middle in a kind of subtle point - Best I can describe it.

If you have longer hair, you would have to use (2) of the La Petite Frost Kits. L'Oreal may have a larger kit in the Chardonnay color.

I just don't have the money to spend on salon colorings. A girfriend of mine is going to do the all over frost, the next time I need that done.

Having someone, who is willing to frost/highlight your hair in exchange for you doing the same for her would be an ideal situation.

I think that there is a learning curve, as far as coloring your hair at home. But, I do believe that as long as you follow directions regarding how long a product can be kept on your hair, and that you do not exceed that time, I believe that you can color your hair at home without any damage

Good Luck,

Emy

Last edited on 7/25/2010

Last edited on 7/25/2010

SpaGal1280108961.443093 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

When I went lighter from a dk brown to a med light red, they mixed shampoo with 10 developer and let it sit on my head to lighten the base. If your hair is slightly darker then you want before you dye it it might work. I'm thinking of doing that to go strawberry blonde for the Fall.

angelsareo­ut1280130392.3276912 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami
On 7/22/2010 Lori K said:

I would love to be able to do my own highlights as well. I used to pay $130 and gave it up because I thought it was way too much money.

just go to Sallys get the Wella lightners , buy some caps, and a brush, you will get awesome results. start with a little until you get the hang of then go for it. After a bit, you can foil it with high and low lighs, its FUn.

Trippey1280139535.253506 PostsRegistered 11/11/2006

I went to the beauty salon when I had to go blond from brown because my hair was naturally white. The brown was too much of a contrast when it just barely grew out and I had to touch up every three weeks. Could not find a blond out of the box color that worked. Turned the roots orange and that is when I said enough and went to the salon and have not looked back. I just could not find a blond that would work with the white hair I have. Yikes! it is white. Found out last year when it grew back in from chemo. White and curly. It was curly before, but after it all came out and grew back in it is twice as curly. Now I am in treatment again and hoping not to loose it again, but not counting on anything. I am coloring it until it goes.

Page 1 of 1