TSV(R) Preview
172 Members and 16486 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

FYI... ingredient comparison between Wen, Hair One, and Cutler...

Started 1279738367.62 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1280295911.523 by ibb38

For what it's worth...

I'm a WEN lover, but have also been trying out Hair One from Sally Beauty as a less expensive alternative. I was obviously intrigued when I saw the recent posts about Cutler and got very curious about how similar these products are. I did a detailed comparison of the ingredients in Wen Fig, Hair One Olive Oil, and Cutler Olive Oil (as those 3 seemed the most similar across the product lines). Wen Fig has 22 listed ingredients, Hair One Olive Oil has 30, and Cutler Olive Oil has 34. From just looking at ingredients, Cutler seems to almost be a "mix" of Wen and Hair One. While the ingredients are listed in a different order on all 3 lables, I didn't take that into account yet... I was strictly looking at which ingredients they have in common. Here's what I found...

14 of the 22 Wen ingredients are found in all 3 products (water, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, rosemary leaf extract, behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, amodimethicone, hydrolyzed wheat protein, polysorbate 60, panthenol (pro-vitamin b-5), menthol, sweet almond oil, peg-60 almond glycerides, citric acid).

There are 2 ingredients that are shared between Wen and Cutler (but are NOT in Hair One)... (chamomile extract, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine).

There are 15 ingredients that are shared between Hair One and Cutler (but are NOT in Wen)... ( Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butylene Glycol, Coffee Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit Extract, Rosa Roxburghii Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, BHT, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, 1,2-Hexanediol, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Fragrance)

Wen has 6 unique ingredients (wild cherry fruit extract, fig extract, marigold flower extract, methlisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazoline, essential oils). Cutler has 3 unique ingredients (Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol). Hair One has 1 unique ingredient (anthemis nobilis flower extract).

Might be too much detail, but I love detail! LOL Strictly by comparing ingredients, all three should be pretty similar... I would guess (but definitely could be wrong!) that Cutler and Hair One will be more similar to each other since they share many more common ingredients.

Not everything works for everyone, of course... Wen worked wonders for me (have only tried Fig so far) and thankfully I'm having pretty good luck with Hair One as well (using a mixture of Jojoba and Cucumber Aloe on most of my hair, and a mixture of Jojoba and Olive Oil on my ends). While I love Wen the most, I can't pass up the much lower price of Hair One at the moment... and it's also still lower than Cutler, so I'll probably stick with Hair One for now. Can't wait to hear how Cutler does compare as others start acutally using it though!

Page 1 of 1
CAT FAN1279740307.063685 PostsRegistered 7/19/2010Home of the Kentucky Wildcats

I am going to purchase some of the Hair One after work. I will let you know how I feel about it. I am a big fan of WEN but would love the same/similar results for less money. I have thick naturally curly hair and I use a different WEN everyday. I also use Infusium leave in conditioner everyday. I blow dry and use an InStyler.

I had also placed an order with HSN for the Cutler product but canceled it since Hair One is less expensive.

LaurieRose1279740765.553169 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010

Cat Fan, I hope you like Hair One. I do still much prefer Wen, but Hair One works well enough for me that the cost difference makes it worth-while! For the last 1-2 weeks, I've been using the Hair One combo that I mentioned above for cleansing, but I've still been using the Wen Fig CC mixed with the Wen Fig Oil as my leave-in, and the Wen Fig Styling Creme (Hair One doesn't have anything other then the cleansing conditioner) and will continue to do so! Good luck!

Wiskota1279741320.343795 PostsRegistered 1/24/2008Wisconsin

I tried the Hair One Olive Oil formula. It was OK but I much prefer WEN. I only cleanse my hair twice a week and it looks great all the time. Use WEN oil now and then and the WEN styling product every day. I hadn't heard of the Cutler until this post. I just think it is a knock off of WEN and prefer to use the original. Will keep reading post to see what others think.

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I want to thank the men who died who give that right to me." Lee Greenwood

Harpa1279741457.527673 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I'd give you an A on this assignment, LaurieRose!

FYI: Anthemis noblis is chamomile; so it looks like all three share that ingredient. Used since ancient times for its calming & conditioning effects. Soothing, hydrating work well on the hair & scalp. In hair care formulations, it brings out highlights in blond or light brown hair. (And, of course, there are several different types of chamomile.) The Roman is the anthemis noblis.

I used to make a chamomile hair rinse for my blonde DD, and she loved it!

LaurieRose1279741706.137169 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010
On 7/21/2010 Harpa said:

I'd give you an A on this assignment, LaurieRose!

FYI: Anthemis noblis is chamomile; so it looks like all three share that ingredient.

Thanks for the grade and the correction! :-) I was wondering if any of the ingredients had different names, and now I know that one! I appreciate the info!

So, to update the above... ALL of the ingredients in Hair One are also found in Cutler... and then Cutler adds a few more to it. Very interesting!

cerinthe1279744918.172608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

That was REALLY interesting and you compared ingredients in a way that never occured to me! :) Usually the top three to top eight ingredients make up the vast majority of a product. I usually look at the top five and then look for a 'cut off' point where its obvious there are miniscule (by my opinion,) amounts of the following ingredients. There tend to be smaller amounts of preservatives, fragrances, natural essences, natural oils, or anything expensive.

I have to say I caught part of the cutler presentation and found it extremely annoying. He almost copied the WEN presentation word for word AND even the examples/models. Same cuts, same rubbing the wet colored hair with a cloth, etc. Nothing original. Yawn. If he can't manage an original presentation, I'm CERTAIN that his product is likely a weak copy of WEN as well. I didn't even bother to pull up ingredients. I love my WEN. I tried HairOne because I got a free sample and it did not make my hair as shiny nor as soft as WEN. It was a significant noticable difference.

lyn in MI1279745352.124580 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

Great post, LaurieRose. I compared WEN Tea Tree to the Cutler for Fine, Lifeless yesterday, and decided to place an order for the Cutler. Below is a link to a page of information I found helpful to me when I was comparing them. It's a list of ingredients often used in hair care products...

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

Last edited on 7/21/2010

Last edited on 7/21/2010

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

CAT FAN1279803400.31685 PostsRegistered 7/19/2010Home of the Kentucky Wildcats

Good morning everyone! I went to Sally's last night and purchased the Jojoba, Cucumber Aloe, and the Olive Hair One products. I also purchased some Mane & Tail Detangler. I used the Jojoba (for colored treated hair and yes I am not really a blond {#emotions_dlg.glare}). I used exactly the same way I use WEN. I did spray a little bit of the detangler on my hair too. Blow dried and used my InStyler. My hair looks just as good today as it does when I use my most favorite WEN flavor. I will try the Olive tomorrow morning and post again if anyone is interested. The only differences I noticed is that it does not smell as good as WEN but it does smell good, I needed a leave in or detangler for combing but I need that with WEN too, and I think it is a little creamier than WEN.

Last edited on 7/22/2010

Last edited on 7/22/2010

LaurieRose1279807908.577169 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010

Cat Fan,

Glad you are having good luck with Hair One! In general what I've noticed with Hair One is that I do have to use a little more of it (I use about 28-30 pumps of Wen and about 35 pumps of Hair One). I also have a bit harder time combing through my hair in the shower when the CC is on it, but it's still not difficult by any means. And as I said above, I'm still using Wen CC/Wen Oil as my leave-in and Wen styling creme. Overall, I haven't noticed a change in my results with the Hair One... and even though I have to use 5-7 pumps more of it, it's so much less expensive that it's well worth it to me personally!

I do plan on continuing to use the other Wen products (styling creme, oil, and I do want to get some remoist!) and I do fully expect to keep a bottle of Wen around all the time for my leave-in or to treat myself! LOL But my overall results with Hair One have been very good... so I'll continue to use it to save some money. Hope you continue to have good results too!

Qgirl1279808865.1434167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

Thanks! I have been trying to make the comparison myself with the ingredients. I appreciate you doing it for me!

mhk1279812039.7472452 PostsRegistered 3/29/2006

Thanks for sharing all the great info, Laurierose!

ibb381279812602.6212376 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've tried Hair One jojoba and cucumber aloe at this point- jojoba is definitely more 'Wen like' for my hair. Hair One Cucumber aloe wasn't moisturizing enough- I think it'll be good for my teenager as she was going through a huge amount of Wen fig every day! I did buy a packet of Hair One olive oil- I've been hesitant to try it since posters said how difficult it was to wash out of your hair. I'll give it a go this weekend!

Cutler really doesn't interest me much since it doesn't seem to be a cost savings over Wen... I think I'll check out the video though.

Great analysis btw!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 7/22/2010

Last edited on 7/22/2010

ibb381280295911.52312376 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

LOVE the Hair One olive oil!!! I think it's my favorite of the group... jojoba next though. Based on comments here I anticipated it being a pain to wash out but it wasn't bad. I have thick curly hair too! People commented today how great my hair looked- the only difference was Hair One olive oil. I was near a Sally's before and bought more!

Last edited on 7/27/2010

Last edited on 7/27/2010

Page 1 of 1