Give Gorgeous
13 Members and 9995 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Anyone mix ColorSilk shades?

Started 1266087519 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1266797804 by Karsa
I was told by Revlon the shades weren't meant to be mixed but I don't see why not. Would like to mix the medium golden blonde with the dark blonde. Since they are liquid they are easier to mix than the tube color. I'm just wondering if it came out OK. Anyone try it?

Page 1 of 1
Blondelle12660991604266 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
Thank you for your well thought out, helpful reply!

sharon181266099359610 PostsRegistered 6/18/2006
I mix the blonde shades all the time. The other thing I do is to use the darker shade all over my head and then follow with the lighter color (my hair is long and thick so this works) - this way adds more depth and interest and actually looks much more "natural".

Tori in KC12661062191422 PostsRegistered 10/22/2009
I have wondered about doing so; if you do decide to mix, let us know how it comes out--for me, I started doing my own color at home about six months or more ago and using Fredrick Fekkai (sp?) ; the light brown shade was a little too light and the medium turned out too dark on me, trouble is that if I buy two and mix, the price is more than getting it professionally. I will just go back to the light brown; now that I'm using WEN my color really is lasting longer. Curious if you called again and talked to someone else if they would give you the same answer ?:|. :-D
--
DeeDee
--
Edited by Denise5871 at 02/13/2010 3:11 PM PST

Last edited on 2/13/2010

Smurfette12661073652232 PostsRegistered 5/27/2007Under the Moonlight
> I mix the blonde shades all the time. The other thing
> I do is to use the darker shade all over my head and
> then follow with the lighter color (my hair is long
> and thick so this works) - this way adds more depth
> and interest and actually looks much more "natural".
@Sharon18 - forgive my ignorance, but could you give me more details about your process? Do you put the darker shade on and then immediately put the lighter color over it? (That is, the two colors are processing at the same time)? I am very intrigued!
Thank you kindly! :8}

Chardie1266112934364 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007
I have mixed medium ash blonde and light ash blonde several times and have never had a problem with it.

Danish Gal1266117323896 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Arizona
I love Colorsilk and mix the med auburn with the med brown--1/2 bottle each into a full bottle of developer. I save the other two 1/2's, tightly closed, and the other bottle of developer for the next coloring approx 4 weeks later. Not only does my color look more natural, but it actulally seems to last longer than when I use just one shade. And the remaining bottless of color are perfectly fine when I recolor in 4 weeks. I use Wen most of the time to shampoo my hair.

Msgdfx1266129729190 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006Los Angeles
My Mom takes her box haircolor to her hairdresser and she mixes two different shades all of the time. She doesn't use Colorsilk, however. She uses L'oreal Castings Demi-Permanent Color which seems to have disapeared from most stores. The hairdresser applies the lighter shade (Blonde) first and then applies the darker shade (Copper) on over it. It really looks nice on her and she gets many compliments. She gets a very, unique color.

Lovesdogs12661621711255 PostsRegistered 10/13/2007
I used to do this, I forgot all about it! I am going to mix 2 of the blonde colors. I like the champagne blonde but it fades so quickly. So, think I'll try adding a medium blonde.Thanks for the idea!:-x
--
Loves~

Loves~

Kathleen126616231013175 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
Call the 800 number on the box to check before mixing shades.
Sometimes the developers are not the same between the shades.
--
Veni, vidi, Visa
(I came, I saw, I shopped)

SicilianPr­incess1266163380120 PostsRegistered 3/11/2007
FYI - Colorsilk is on sale at Walgreens for $1.99...bottom left corner (front page) of this weeks circular ad. Limit 3 coupon.
--
43, combination/fair skin, naturally curly brown highlighted hair, hazel eyes

sharon181266731004610 PostsRegistered 6/18/2006
> > I mix the blonde shades all the time. The other
> thing
> > I do is to use the darker shade all over my head
> and
> > then follow with the lighter color (my hair is
> long
> > and thick so this works) - this way adds more
> depth
> > and interest and actually looks much more
> "natural".
>
> @Sharon18 - forgive my ignorance, but could
> you give me more details about your process? Do you
> put the darker shade on and then immediately put the
> lighter color over it? (That is, the two colors are
> processing at the same time)? I am very intrigued!
>
>
> Thank you kindly! :8}
Sorry Smurfette, I totally lost this thread...
when I need to add more dimension to my hair (you know, after probably three or four touch-up colors), I add the darker of the blonde shades to my roots and blend it out with a really wide comb (think Ojon or Wen type combs). I wait 5 minutes then add the lighter color all over my head, also combing it through. I have done a lot of experimentation with this method and I actually like it best when I go even darker (like a dark blonde) for the first shade, and I wait 10 minutes before adding the lighter color. It comes out to look like highlights. I've done this with Colorsilk, Excellence, Preference, Hydrience, Garnier and Nice & Easy. Works every time. It takes a little longer and I usually end up leaving it on for 45-50 minutes, but most of the brands stop working after 40 minutes anyway.
And yes, I've even overlapped brands. I won't, however, actually mix the shades together in another bottle. I just am not that "brave"!!!

TY12667471244057 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007
Revlon Colorsilk is not available in Canada.
I do occasionally mix light brown and medium brown shades of Natural Instincts. If you have a copy of Paula Begoun's book "Don't Go Shopping For Hair-Care Products Without Me", she has a chapter on coloring your hair which is really helpful for first time hair coloring whether you do it at home or have a salon do it and she says that you can mix colors within a line but not between lines. For example you could mix colors within Clairol's Natural Instincts like I do but not mix Clairol's Natural Instincts with Clairol's Nice n' Easy line.

Emy12667628974064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
Sharon18,
Thank you for posting this information! I've always wondered if using a darker color, then a lighter color, would work to make my haircolor more natural and interesting!
I'll be on my way to Target as soon as I have another cup of coffee!
Emy

Karsa12667727581109 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006
Are you putting on the first color and then rinsing it out and THEN putting on the second? Or does it go right on top of the color when you're applying it?
I am clueless with this stuff - can always use some good ideas!
K :)

sharon181266779990610 PostsRegistered 6/18/2006
> Are you putting on the first color and then rinsing
> it out and THEN putting on the second? Or does it go
> right on top of the color when you're applying it?
> I am clueless with this stuff - can always use some
> good ideas!
> K :)
Karsa,
I'm putting the lighter color on top of the darker color after the darker color has had time to attach to the roots and the underneath hair (I don't put the darker color ALL over the head, just on the root area and on the underneath length - I also comb the darker color through right before I add the lighter color - this way, some of the hair has the darker color, and some grabs just the lighter color.
I put the lighter color ALL over the head, including the roots that have the darker color solution processing.
This is a really lazy way of coloring with more depth than highlights and I don't do this every time I color (it takes a little while and there is a learning curve to get it just right).
I know it's not good to mix brands and I never do it when I mix two into one...but I will do it when I use the above process...I try not to mix companies though...I will use L'Oreal with L'Oreal, and Clairol with Clairol.

Karsa12667978041109 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006
Sharon18,
Thanks! I think I'm going to try this!
K :)

Page 1 of 1