Fashion & Accessories Clearance
144 Members and 14047 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Clogged eyelash/lid pores?

Started 1279471384.207 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1279562100.14 by notneutral

Hi Gals,

Have been getting what look like tiny blisters along my upper and lower lashlines (between the lashes and the rim of the eye). Saw a optometrist this past week (couldn't get an appointment with the ophthamologist for a couple months). He recommended washing my lids, lashes twice a day with baby shampoo and hot water. Said the pores are clogged.

Have any of you ever had anything similar? How did you get rid of it?

Page 1 of 1
CaChica1279471952.2575883 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

Many people get this condition and I have had mild dry eyes also. I use a Ocusoft lid scrub pad when it bothers me and use baby wash in the shower every morning as preventive maintenance. The baby wash also gets any mascara off that remover hasn't taken off the night before. The baby wash also conditions the lashes and eyebrows.

I didn't have any visible symptoms, only discomfort.

Here's a link that has good suggestions:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/lidscrubs.html

Last edited on 7/18/2010

Last edited on 7/18/2010

NurseRecru­iter1279472250.0313869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

Yes, baby shampoo does help with your condition. It is called blepheritis (spelling?) and you may not want to read this but it caused by a fungus. The higher alkalinity of baby shampoo kills this particular fungus. As CaChica mentioned, they also sell a couple of eye lid washes in the eye section of the drug store. They are all terrific as well as the baby shampoo. Lucky you caught it early as it can spread the entire eye area gets red and flaky and miserable.

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

Silver Lin­ing1279482359.5673607 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

I have had itchiness, crusting, and enflammation, but no blisters. My opthalmologist said it was belpharitis. He prescribed an ointment to be applied to the lower eyelid at night. I don't know if it would be indicated in your case. I'd see if it clears up by washing your eyelids as the optometrist recommended.

I start washing my eyelids if they start acting up again. I learned from experience, though, to dilute the baby shampoo by at least half.

sparkle3121279482657.03363 PostsRegistered 10/19/2008Michigan

The baby shampoo does help. I was told I had this same condition and could not see it myself---nor did I have symptoms. The eye doc saw it when using one of the machines that magnifies your eyes and eyelids. When I had blepharitis (very acute, I guess), I was given prescription drops that contained an antibiotic and hydrocortisone which did work. I would keep with the baby shampoo and go to the opthalmologist if that doesn't resolve it.

I wondered if I got this from applying eyeliner on the inside lids. I did not ask the doctor. Has anyone who had this inquired about that to their doc?

If you think you can do it, or you think you can't do it......you are right.---Henry Ford

ccb131279482708.90391 PostsRegistered 3/20/2009SC

Use warm compresses once or twice a day, then use the wipes. I have to do this even between flare-ups, as well as Restasis twice a day. The warm compresses really seem to help, though.

lyn in MI1279483017.02724349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

Some have reported this problem (blepharitis) once they've started using lash growth products, but I haven't heard anyone feel lining their inner-rim caused it.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Judaline1279483369.8615233 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

I got one clogged pore or whatever they're called after using Isomers lash growth product. I quit right away, and masqued the one pore by putting on a masque with a toothpick! Don't laugh, it worked.

My son has the blepharitis thing. The Eye Institute said it never really goes away, but will continually reappear at some time in his life. We got these beanbags filled with flaxseed-you put them in the microwave till just warm-and they were very comforting. If I'd known that J&J baby shampoo contained formaldahyde I NEVER would have used it on his eyes. Too late now, but never again.

Margo Chan­ning1279484638.16313263 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

I get this frequently and your dr's. suggestion was spot on. In addition to Baby Shapoo you might want to get Occusol Eyelid wash pads. They work much like the shampoo. I use either every 2-3 days.

I was also instructed to stay away from glittery eyeshadow.

Last edited on 7/18/2010

Last edited on 7/18/2010

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner

BLH1279485253.0571486 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

use a washcloth and you really have to scrub hard to get the crustiness off a couple times per day. this usually occurs in fair skinned people.

smit1279504138.76375 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

Everything I have read says it is rare to get blepharitis from fungus.

Aragabymimi1279505108.107564 PostsRegistered 2/1/2009Long Beach, NY

I have had something like this before. I do now again as a matter of fact. Small bumps, either clear or white, along my lash line. When I went for my regular eye exam the doctor removed them in second. My eye exam is due now again so I will quiz him as to what they are and get more info. for you.

Hair Today­ Gone Tomorrow1279507310.061735 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006
On 7/18/2010 NurseRecruiter said:

Yes, baby shampoo does help with your condition. It is called blepheritis (spelling?) and you may not want to read this but it caused by a fungus. The higher alkalinity of baby shampoo kills this particular fungus. As CaChica mentioned, they also sell a couple of eye lid washes in the eye section of the drug store. They are all terrific as well as the baby shampoo. Lucky you caught it early as it can spread the entire eye area gets red and flaky and miserable.

NR, you gave me this great suggestion a long time ago and I should have kept it up. I've been suffering the last few weeks with that condition you mentioned and Rowdymom reminded me so I'm back at it with my baby shampoo. Great info here. Thanks!

Hair Today­ Gone Tomorrow1279507463.791735 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006
On 7/18/2010 lyn in MI said:

Some have reported this problem (blepharitis) once they've started using lash growth products, but I haven't heard anyone feel lining their inner-rim caused it.

Uh oh. Lyn, you may have hit my issue with the lash growth product. Thanks.

lyn in MI1279535849.18724349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

Welcome, HTGT! I've read that it's a common side effect.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

Hair Today­ Gone Tomorrow1279554361.351735 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006
On 7/19/2010 lyn in MI said:

Welcome, HTGT! I've read that it's a common side effect.

Lyn, Looks like it's finally clearing up. This morning there's hope for the red eye. LOL. Should I throw out all my mascara (again) because of this? I had this start the end of June, got eye drops and antibiotics (also had sinus infection) and threw away all mascara and eyeliners. Bought everything again and had to go to QVC. By the time my plane landed it was back. I again replaced all the makeup at the Studio Store. Haven't worn any since I got home Thursday. Should I replace it all again?

lyn in MI1279554924.2924349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

HTGT - I'd probably toss my mascara out, just to be on the safe side. Glad to read you woke up with some improvement.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

Hair Today­ Gone Tomorrow1279555130.6731735 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006
On 7/19/2010 lyn in MI said:

HTGT - I'd probably toss my mascara out, just to be on the safe side. Glad to read you woke up with some improvement.

Thanks lyn. Done. Glad Sephora carries BE Buxom and hope they have Mally's Volumizing as well. LOL. Real Lash also got dumped. Thanks for your help

Charmed~Je­nna1279555231.7520023 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010~RipkaNistaVille~

another vote for baby shampoo or wash.

~ Modern Classics with a Twist ~

Islandgirl­70321279555942.35312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

I recently had cataract surgery (1 in December, 1 in February) and encountered "blocked oil ducts) for the first time.

I never experienced these before my cataract surgery, but at different times, I got one on the rim of each low lid.

At a surgery follow-up appt., I asked what it was and he sais, "that's just a clogged oil duct" and suggested I heat a potato in the microwave, wrap it in a washcloth and apply to the eye.

Well, that worked on one easily enough, but the next time I got one it didn't budge with this method.

It eventually cleared on it's own while I was really hot & sweaty, doing yard work.

Last week I woke up and underneath one eye was so swollen, it looked like I had been punched in the face.

When I looked inside my lower lid (not just on the rim, like the others had been) there were 3-4 of them.

I went to my opthamologist and he said again, "they're clogged oil ducts", gave me an oral antibiotic and an antibiotic drop that I can only use once a day and told me to do the hot potato thing, again.

Knowing the hot potato never worked on one that I had before, I heated a terra cotta coaster in the micro, wapped a washcloth around it and it worked.

Never has he said anything about a fungus being involved and I don't have dry eyes, either. He also said nothing about using baby shampoo, etc.

I haven't worn eye make-up since my last eye surgery, not even mascara.

I have to wonder if there are multiple conditions that may present with these tiny blisters or 'heads'?

Ranchergal1279556480.074236 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

Get rid of all eye products for awhile. Have you used any new products? I kept getting stys. Come to find out it was a product from the Signature Club A line. Once I quit using the product the eye problems stopped. It took about a week and everything cleared.

glowingwit­hin1279562093.51344 PostsRegistered 7/15/2010

This is what happened to me and what my eye doctor recommended. Not sure if it is the same but the bumps and the clogged pores sound the same.

I lost all my eyelashes and I would have the little bumps that were clogged pores. Mine was was not a fungus or bacteria. I had lasik eye surgery around this time and they tested me for this.

My eye lashes were to oily and it would not hold at the root so I lost my lashes and would get the bumps. The dr told me to wash with baby shampoo twice a day. He told me to take a warm/hot washcloth and put it up to my eyes for a minute and then wash the lashes with the baby shampoo.

Once I started doing this all my lashes have grown back out and I no longer get the bumps from the clogged pores. It has been 6 years and I still wash my lashes with baby shampoo and the warm cloth.

notneutral1279562100.141320 PostsRegistered 12/3/2004

google meibomian gland dysfunction. hth

A witty saying proves nothing.

Page 1 of 1