TSV(R) Preview
108 Members and 11628 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How Good Are Mary Kay Cosmetics?

Started 1279199513.093 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1279578864.03 by MaryKayTay

My girlfriend at work her daughter just starting selling it and is having a party for her. What is worth buying? I have never bought any of her makeup as you have to order it. Is it quality makeup?

Page 1 of 2
buddylou1279199723.7574988 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

I wore Mary Kay many years ago and it is good makeup but what I remember most is it is so very heavy. It was the kind we wore in the 80's but today I prefer something lighter and more natural looking. I am sure it has probably changed with the times but I just remember it from 20 years ago.

Mesmerize1279199879.267873 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Jersey Shore

I like MK's eye primer and one of their facial cleansers/scrubs. But it's been eons since I last bought it at a party. If I were to buy anything MK it would be on eBay at a discount.

My Reality Check bounced!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am, Stuck in the middle with you.

Cardamom1279200085.716770 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

I have a friend that sold it. I went to her parties to be supportive. I too think it is heavy, made up and dated looking. For the prices, it's not cheap, I would much rather buy my favorite brands. IMO Laura Geller eye spackle is better than MK eye primer. If you feel you must buy something try the exfoliating hand wash. It feels really nice.

jojobeans1279200353.3633377 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

I used to buy MK from a friend...I remember it as overpriced and I finally had to tell her I couldn't afford to keep buying...she wanted to get me to sell but that didn't happen.

"It's deja vu all over again''......Yogi Berra

RickyRocky1279200445.743728 PostsRegistered 2/16/2007

I used to wear it also. I love, love, love Mary Kay makeup. The newer products are not heavy at all. I also loved their skin care. I just don't know anyone who sells it anymore. I thought all of the stuff was awesome. Ask your friend's daughter if you could have some samples to try, before you buy.

RickyRocky1279200461.05728 PostsRegistered 2/16/2007

I used to wear it also. I love, love, love Mary Kay makeup. The newer products are not heavy at all. I also loved the skin care. I just don't know anyone who sells it anymore. I thought all of the stuff was awesome. Ask your friend's daughter if you could have some samples to try, before you buy.

RickyRocky1279200464.44728 PostsRegistered 2/16/2007

I used to wear it also. I love, love, love Mary Kay makeup. The newer products are not heavy at all. I also loved the skin care. I just don't know anyone who sells it anymore. I thought all of the stuff was awesome. Ask your friend's daughter if you could have some samples to try, before you buy.

insomniac1279200491.5737443 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I bought the tinted moisturizer for summer and LOVE IT. I would try other products in this line.

insomniac

Kitlynn1279202161.5272440 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Colorado

I have worn Mary Kay makeup for over thirty years. I really like it and the mineral makeup is great. It is light and not heavy on the face at all. I also love the eye shadows and mascara. The blushes and lipsticks work well also. I use other stuff also but I just use it right along with my Mary Kay. They have updated their products just like all the other makeup companies.

You get one go round in this old world and you better make the most of it. It is not a dress rehearsal! Step out of your box and enjoy all that life has to offer!

Sunniegirl1279202806.0831046 PostsRegistered 8/21/2008So. Calfornia

Love their eye makeup remover..... my friend sells MK and I buy 2 bottles at a time, it is not expensive compared to some other brands. It takes off all eye makeup and does not burn - also great for removing waterproof mascara. I sometimes use it to clean under my eye if I make a mistake - just a little on a Q-tip. Smile

belleandme1279203497.368644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

hi!

i sold MK for a year or so back in the late 80's and i really loved the skincare. the makeup was good quality. at that time, i thought the shades were off, so i only wore a few products. but it definately looked on those for whom the colors were right.

i havent been to a party in 20 years, but i always had fun, but then again, i like to try on makeup.

back then the skincare was the star of the show. even now, i still think about starting marykay skincare back up. but i have loads of philosophy backstock right now.

goodluck if you go. they used to have little color sample swatches in the makeup. maybe they still do.

take care, belleandme

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

Nascarfan481279204213.541525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

I used to use their products maybe 10 years ago. I liked alot of their stuff. Loved the eye primer. also used their skincare. I still go to their website occasionally and think about ordering. They now have a mineral line that looks interesting. You'll have fun at the party, you get to try everything before you buy.

MissysMomma1279204229.71793 PostsRegistered 2/25/2010

I, too, use Mary Kay makeup -- not much of the skin care line though. I'm trying the tinted moisturizer for the first time with this last order and so far so good. I use that before the mineral foundation almost as a primer - and it has an SPF!

I basically use all the "color" -- eyeliner (LOVE IT!), lipliner, lipstick, lip gloss, blush (which is also mineral now) -- and I find that even though it might cost me a little more, it certainly lasts so I don't mind spending the money. Still unsure about the mineral foundation -- we shall see on that, but so far so good!

Jodee11279204433.787182 PostsRegistered 5/12/2010

I am a MK consultant, but due to health reasons, I don't do parties/shows or anything. I still service my customers who buy and just sent in another order. I love the Visibly Fit lotion as it is just perfect in my opinion. It is not greasy at all and very moisturizing. Their makeup comes in different ways, so however you want to wear it, less or more is up to the individual. I wanted full coverage, so I used cream to powder and set it with the loose powder. Their skin care is also great. I have used it since 20001 and I have no wrinkles at 60 yrs. old. Their prices are not high at all.

glowingwit­hin1279210017.9744 PostsRegistered 7/15/2010

I love their lip glosses and eyeliners. The eyeliner stays all day and I have oily skin and lids.

viva9231279210451.7976790 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I use to sell MK for a couple years, twice in fact. MK products are OK. they do have A WHOLE LOT of dimethicone (silicone's) additives in their products. I could wear some of the products but most broke me out.

Be wary of MK reps trying to sign u up for selling. U have to puchase a whole car load of stuff and if u don't have a good following, it sits there. U can't sell it back to MK company. I will say the company reps are rather snappish people.

Stick with the eye shadows, blushes, lip sticks. These are the best. MK just released a new "flavor" lavender in the body mist/ lotion category.

HallieD1279210573.26814 PostsRegistered 5/30/2009

MK consultants will tell you it's the greatest thing; it's decent but very overpriced.

OkeyDokey1279210692.307824 PostsRegistered 11/30/2007

Some of their skin care is good and there used to be a liquid foundation that was nice, but nothing remarkable. I hate seeing people get wrapped up into MK because it's typical mlm bull. Here today, gone tomorrow. Back when I used the skin care and foundation, I got tired of trying to track someone down to get what I needed as inevitably, the person I last purchased from had realized that they had been taken and had quit selling.

CandyO1279310893.607531 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007

I think that some of the stuff is definitely worth purchasing and quality. The great thing is that you will be able to try it out and sample things at the party.

Everyone tends to like different products, and everyone expects and uses different things starting out.

I feel confident recommending the eye makeup remover, for sure. Personally, I thought the eyeshadows I purchased (not mineral) were just okay. There was nothing horrible about them, but they didn't have as much color or staying powder as other brands I use. I had good luck with lipstick and lip gloss. I also really enjoy the clear eyebrow gel. I haven't tried everything, of course, and there is always new stuff. I enjoyed the lip scrub and balm kit.

One thing that I think makes a huge difference is the consultant. I have an excellent and professional rep, who I enjoy interacting with. I have never been to a party-we have always had one-on-one meetings either at my home or a local coffeshop. She has samples and travels! It is convenient. She also has a website through Mary Kay that is quite good. She appreciates my business and always includes some type of surprise gift with purchase. She stands by the products and offers returns or exchanges if something doesn't work for me. I was asked if I wanted to sign up as a consultant, but my decision not to was respected and I have never felt pressure. I have never been pressured to have a party or to purchase more products. Even though I don't use much Mary Kay, I have had a good experience. I hope that you do, as well. I haven't tried anything that was horrible or unacceptable. I also genuinely enjoy helping support a local woman's business.

beach-mom1279312523.0779545 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

I've always been impressed with it. I used to sell it during college. IMO they have really kept up with the times and their products are lighter and more mineral based. Two things I wouldn't live without:

Timewise 3-1 cleanser

Eye makeup remover

Enjoy your party - they're lots of fun! Smile

ladyroxanne1279315339.55710991 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

a good friend of mine uses her exclusively and swears by her. Used MK for many years.

Silverstar1279316057.322794 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007

the hand cream is the best!

stuyvesant1279316214.358316 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010

I was given a sample of a Mary Kay skin cleanser type things year ago. It caused a rough spot on my forehead. I was told that can happen if you don't use the entire skin care line. So it was a no-go for me.

~~~

Qgirl1279317195.9274167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

Extremely good. I think sometimes people get the idea that a home based cosmetic company couldn't offer the latest in technology in skin care and cosmetics, but it does. I have been using it since 1973 and I think I look much younger than my 51 years. I like to use the whole set, which I think makes a huge difference. Their Day and Night Solutions are simply the best. They keep your skin gently exfoliated to make it look healthy and radiant. Give it a try.

Last edited on 7/16/2010

Last edited on 7/16/2010

Jodee11279339358.273182 PostsRegistered 5/12/2010

They do have good products and the consultants make 50% profit. If you have a $300. to $400. party for example, you keep half of the money you collect. In these tough times, it is good for young mothers and anyone who needs more money. During the summer months I would hold pedicure parties for the women. So, there is a variety of choices you can offer. You can have web parties and you don't even leave your family to do it. You either like MK or you don't as with any skin care and cosmetic products. I made good money when I was able to do the parties. I am not pushy and I do not want to deal with any one who is. I always wanted to include gifts to their orders. At the parties, I would also have gifts for them at their place they were going to sit. The women enjoyed themselves and we as women need to take time out for ourselves. Whatever you sell, you make a good profit. So, in these times, it is something you can do a couple times a week and make several hundred dollars a week to help your family. I am disabled and cannot work, but I service my customers and make money from that. This is just some info for those women who need extra money and have young children. God bless.

Page 1 of 2