TSV(R) Preview
58 Members and 9518 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Chemical Peel vs. IPL

Started 1265939858 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1265996983 by Muttlvr
Have any of you had a chemical peel or IPL?
I'm trying to determine which might be the better option for slight hyperpigmentation, sun damage and enlarged pores.
My concern is the IPL results will be much more temporary, and I haven't heard any feedback from someone who has had a chemical peel.
TIA!
--
Edited by RachelT34 at 02/11/2010 4:57 PM PST

Page 1 of 1
LuckyPeach126594138711044 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008Chicagoan now in LA
Hi, Rachel~
I've done both and I think the real question is the state of your skin and color. I've had the killer Co2 under my eyes (totally replaced the skin) and various strengths of TCA over my entire face except eyes. Realize that with a peel, you will need about a week of downtime--that means you won't want to go out in public. If your skin is strong enough, the peel results will far outweigh IPL. You won't enjoy going through the peel, but wow, the results will be worth it! ~Peach

RachelT341265942149355 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007
Thanks so much for your response, Peach.
I was afraid the IPL would be too temporary.
My skin is light/medium (with freckles) and in good shape, with the exception of some hyperpigmentation and enlarged pores. I'm thinking TCA is the way to go.

LuckyPeach126594302011044 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008Chicagoan now in LA
You're welcome.
Just make sure and don't go too high with your TCA percentage the first time and don't be surprised if you have some swelling. My skin is like your skin without the freckles. I bet you will lose some of them with the peel. I have a very oily T-zone and the peel uncovered some deep pore goo which I was glad to get rid off, sort of like an archeological expedition, lol. For me, the biggest prob was not poking at the layers of skin before they were completely ready to peel off. Makemeheal dot com has some threads you might find interesting on this topic. Good luck!~Peach

RachelT341265943480355 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007
Thanks again.
The office I could go to offers a 15% TCA peel for $100. Seems like a pretty good price and it's a reputable Plastic Surgeon (with attached Laser/Med Spa).
I'll go check out the site you recommended.
I'm pretty sure I have some deep pore goo, too. It seems like my pores have gotten really pronounced ever since I started using Perricone's High Potency TSV and my clarisonic. Or maybe, I'm just paying more attention now. ;-)

LuckyPeach126594426311044 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008Chicagoan now in LA
Rachel~
The 15% is perfect for your first time to see how you do and the price is excellent. The makemeheal ladies have been doing the TCA on their own. I'm not against that after you've had the doc do it a couple times and know what to expect. Don't use Perricone but have been using the Isomers Copper P which is purging out all sorts of stuff. When I use that up I'm going to use Skin Biology's copper which is supposed to be more potent. Let me know how it goes for you. I'm here in beauty sometimes, but am usually at the Ripka board. ~Peach

LuvMyBoxer12659444591618 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008
Just a note that the 15% TCA peel is relatively mild. I do them at home (products from theoriginalskinstore.com). If you go to the doctor to have this done, you will probably only experience a slight burn...like a sun burn. You really shouldn't require any downtime. For me, the 15% TCA turns me pink the first day, skin is tight for two days and then I start to peel...well, more like flake for a few days.
Good luck!

zgirl12659471941038 PostsRegistered 5/5/2005
LuvMyBoxer,
How close do you get to your eyes when you do this?
Thanks!
Zgirl

LuvMyBoxer12659500841618 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008
Hi zgirl,
I just follow the orbital eye bone area. My PS got in a little closer when he did my peel, but I'm still too chicken. I will say though, the first few days following a peel, my under eyes are a crinkly mess. :)
--
Edited by LuvMyBoxer at 02/11/2010 7:49 PM PST

Last edited on 2/11/2010

LuckyPeach126599584211044 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008Chicagoan now in LA
Just want to reiterate the idea of downtime with the TCA...during the turning pink, flaking and peeling periods, you want to stay out of any sun, don't wear any makeup and protect the skin with some sort of salve. Always have a doc do this process with you at least the first couple times so you know what to expect. You are essentially wounding your skin so you can rebuild it. Otherwise, you can end up with scars. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but please be wise.;-) ~Peach

Muttlvr12659969832631 PostsRegistered 9/18/2005
Just FYI - I've had tons of IPL for moderate rosacea, sun damage from being an idiot when I was younger, and broken cappillaries on my face. I think it is most useful for that. I go about 2-3 times a year for a touch up, since if you're prone to broken caps, you keep getting them. Quite pleased w/results.
--
"Being an optimist after getting everything you want, doesn't count".
Kin Hubbard
--
Edited by Muttlvr at 02/12/2010 8:50 AM PST

Last edited on 2/12/2010

Page 1 of 1