Creede Silver Sale
15 Members and 13177 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How to air dry and get waves/curl, but no frizz

Started 1279046754.27 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1279144194.393 by cerinthe

I've got naturally wavy hair, down to my mid back. It's on the thin side and tends to be frizzy as well. I HATE using blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc... they just take WAY too much time for me in the morning, and I'm NOT good with them! LOL In the past, I used to put mousse on my hair, scruch with my fingers and let air dry. I liked the look and the frizz control that gave me, but hated the "crunch-i-ness". I switched over to WEN about a month ago and am very happy with my results. I use the CC as a leave in (with a few drops of oil) and the styling creme and get very good frizz control with it. But I have to be very careful about how much I "mess" with my hair while it's air-drying or it will get frizzy.

Regardless of your cleansing routine and products, I'm hoping to get some advice about the techniques/tools you ladies who air-dry use to get curl/wave in your hair. I've seen some mention about Caruso curlers (which I've never used and don't really know anything about) and the recent discussion about the microfiber curling claw clips. I'm debating on whether to try the claw clips or not, but wanted to see what other options might be out there first! TIA!

Page 1 of 1
NickelEmily1279073348.6731944 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

There is a book called Curly Girl. You may want to check it out, also the Deva product line has some good info.

guatmum1279075255.7932842 PostsRegistered 10/24/2008

Most wavy hair will frizz if you brush it or separate it too much while drying or after it is dry. I scrunch mine a BIT while it air dries. Once it dries, it looks great (no product in it) but, the next day when I get up and have to brush it, it gets frizzy. I put a few drops of either jojoba or argan oil in my hand, rub my palms together, and then scrunch my hair again and I get shiny, defined, SOFT waves and curls. I'll never touch mousse again! HTH!

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

BeachParkB­abe1279075445.97538 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010

A long time ago I remember somewhere someone said she put aloe vera gel in her hair and let it air dry. Cheap experiment.

guatmum1279075856.8972842 PostsRegistered 10/24/2008

Just had to pipe in. Sorry, but I tried aloe vera gel and once it dried and lost its stickiness, it got crunchy. It did hold the wave in the humidity, though.

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

ChanelAnna1279076367.72754 PostsRegistered 1/31/2007

I have naturally curly hair that I typically dry straight.

However, on days I want to go curly, I use the Morrocan Oil curly styling creme and let it dry naturally. I get no frizz this way and just lots of soft curls and waves!

A girl should be two things - classy and fabulous. Coco Chanel

JJ1279078515.663581 PostsRegistered 2/18/2005

I get my favorite results by washing in the evening and using my normal products...always a no frizz serum and a curling cream and then I let it air dry about to half dry or so and then I twist and pile it all on the top of my head with a big scrunchie (I know...but they are good for this purpose!), in a loose bun type of thing. I sleep with it like this and in the morning, it is the most it is a full, soft, non-frizzy head full of curls and waves. I have a lot of hair, long and thick, so it doesn't usually dry completely up in the "bun", but it works out perfectly every time.

azterry1279078998.6776341 PostsRegistered 3/31/2008valley of the sun, AZ

One of the secrets for no frizz is not handling your hair too muchwhile it is air drying. If you can stand it, don't touch it at all while you are drying. Once it is compleely dry, you can run your fingers through it and fluff it into style.

I ordered the microfiber clips. I use plain clips now and they give nice lift and waviness to the top of my head where I have less curl. I like the idea of the cloth soaking up all the water.

When I get tired of shopping, I sit down and try on shoes~

drkcharger1279079697.837774 PostsRegistered 2/17/2005

I have also dealt with this most of my life. A lot of experimenting with products but once you find what works like i have i still do not touch my hair while it is drying. I use duckbill clips to keep in place as well as for volume (piled up on top of my head) and then put it in a microfiber towel to soak up all the moisture. The turbie twist type but made of microfiber not cotton.

At night i also flip my head upside down and use a scrunchie like the other poster when i go to bed.

Zaksgrrl1279082302.6079844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

I have wavy/curly hair and don't own a blowdryer.

The absolute best thing for curls and no frizz is Ojon's glossing cream. You can use it on damp or dry hair (I usually do both). It's so dry here that I can't use too much.

It makes your hair sooooo soft!!!! I think you'll love it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

rebel1279105723.415458 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

microfiber towels are really helpful. they will draw or take the water out of your hair much faster than a reg towel and they do seem to help with frizz too.

after i take the towel out of my hair and add a product, i then use the towel, not my hands to scrunch hair up and hold it for a second and let go.

my beautician said you get less frizz if you use the towel to scrunch and not your hands.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

lovetosing1279106195.676126 PostsRegistered 4/3/2006

My daughter gets frizzy hair when she lets it air dry too. I bought her Moraccon Oil as well and she scrunches that in her hair and it smooths out the frizzies.

In the end everything will be okay, if it is not it is not the end - Jason Castro

Witchy Wom­an1279106354.8832688 PostsRegistered 12/17/2005

I have naturally curly, color-treated, rather thin hair...spent my youth straightening it, but now, I've got it layered to slightly past my shoulders and on a good hair day (no humidity), I love it....on a bad hair day (lots of humidity), I am tempted to take it all off with a dog clipper.

I've used many products that promise no frizz and rarely deliver beyond putting the stuff in and NEVER touching your hair again...that gives an awful curl with a plastered-to-your-head look...I like mine with some volume.

Moroccan oil did nothing for me...nor did their curl product....Wen did not reduce any frizz...nada...nothing....Ojon...nothing....Quidad products...nothing...you get the idea....rarely does anything really keep the frizz at bay....

The only product I've really found that works beyond a few hours is Redken Ringlet 07. I use Lanza shampoos and conditioners...and a Lanza leave in product...then some Ringlet 07 and let it air dry...then I pick it out some and that leaves me with a nice combo of loose and defined curls and waves...I've even tried all those beach curls products...nothing...dried me out terribly....

Redken used to make a product called Spin Control in their Fresh Curls line and they discontinued it....I should have stocked up because it was fabulous...However, with a little time, I've managed to get the same results with the Ringlet product.....I never blow dry, only air dry....

I live in the DC area and the humidity can be brutal...no matter what I do, if I spend too much time outside, I start to frizz....I just don't believe the product has been made to eliminate it completely....the frizz always wins...always. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

bella1231279108567.45161 PostsRegistered 8/1/2008

I love Carols Daughter's hair milk. She now has a hair milk light if your hair isn't as course.

poregirl1279129208.6637353 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north

Avons smoothing balm works great with no crunch

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena.Avon

" Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

jpie1279137832.11785 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007

I purchased a Chi hair dryer with a curl diffuser attachment. Not inexpensive (about $200), but well worth the investment. I use Living Proof No Frizz products first and then the diffuser for about one minute as it builds volume at the roots without a lot of fuss.

jpie1279138485.011785 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007
On 7/14/2010 jpie said:

I purchased a Chi hair dryer with a curl diffuser attachment. Not inexpensive (about $200), but well worth the investment. I use Living Proof No Frizz products first and then the diffuser for about one minute as it builds volume at the roots without a lot of fuss.

Woops, didn't finish the routine. I use the dryer to dry my bangs (about 1 minute, this is a super fast dryer). After using the diffuser on the curly hair, I then allow my hair to air-dry and use a bit or the new Matrix organic oil at the suggestion of my colorist to give my hair shine. Quick and easy routine all told, including the chi flat iron for my bangs, it only takes a total of three or four minutes.

cerinthe1279144194.392608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

There is a new 'Hercut' product at Sephora designed for long layered curly hair, go check it out, under the 'Hercut' name. I haven't tried their products but am intrigued!

Page 1 of 1