Guaranteed Delivery
33 Members and 17983 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Laura Geller Or Bare Escentual ?

Started 1278587815.44 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1278905284.177 by wahnurse

I currently use bare minerals foundation but thinking about trying laura gellers baked collection. What do you think ladies.

I have very fair combination skin that tends to break out easily. Its hard to find a foundation that looks right on me.

Page 1 of 2
Boehm Coll­ecter1278596248.1971506 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007

Hi Billdaph1299,

I used bare minerals foundation for a while. But I found it to be too messy and very drying. I have been using Laura Geller's balance & brighten since April. I love it! Not the least bit drying....I can even use it under my eyes and it never cakes or settles into fine lines. It is also much quicker to apply than liquid foundation so it saves me time in the morning. BTW, I too have combination skin and I am between fair and medium so I use the medium shade of the balance and brighten... and it has never caused break outs! HTH. Maria

brandiwine1278597136.6432469 PostsRegistered 11/9/2006Colorado

I had just the opposite effect. I've been using BE forever and thought I'd try the Balance & brighten. The light color looked very awful on my skin. I am fair with pink undertones. I looked like someone in a casket. It was drying and irritating. Love the new BE container that just lets out a little product at a time. Worked fantastic on a trip. As per usual, different people react differently to products.

grannyjann­ie1278599155.318723 PostsRegistered 11/17/2006West of the Windy City

I'm not sure that LG would give the same type of coverage, but if you just need a light dusting and the color of LG works for you, give it a try. :)

Hopeless Romantic :)

BESwede1278599838.876218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

Personally I much prefer BE. LG doesn't give nearly the same coverage- it's more like a finishing powder than a foundation. There are not many color choices and even the "fair" was not light enough for truly fair and cool-toned skin like mine. I also found it messy and drying. Had thought it might be a fun option for "at home" days in the summer but it didnt work for me. Love Laura though !

46, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

kidznpupz1278600104.963559 PostsRegistered 9/5/2005

I really love Laura Geller. I have used Bare Escentuals but if found it messy and it took me too long to use. Now that it's summer and I have a little more natural color in my face i use the balance and brighten with a little ethereal rose for blush and I am done! I also brush over my eyes with the ethereal rose. I have rather fair skin. In the winter I use the Laura Geller phenomenal foundation with a little balance and brighten on top with the ethereal rose. Anyway for me it's all about speed and convenience. BE isn't bad or anything it's just that Laura Geller suits my need for speed.

LipstickDi­va1278600295.89739472 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I have dry skin and BE didn't work for me. It made my skin feel very dry and very tight. My sister has oily skin and loves it.

I have tried LG and my biggest problem with it is the inconsistencies in the colors due to it being baked. Some compacts were perfect for me and the next compact would have too much darker color or too much of the light color and wouldn't match my skin at all. I gave up.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

IN2BE1278602131.513805 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

I use both BE and the baked collection. ITA with other posters who said that LG doesn't provide the coverage that BE does. That said, I love the portability of LG and the light coverage is fine for summer.

cjmcp1278602600.5871590 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

If you're fair with cool undertones, or even neutral, stay away from LG. Much too yellow. I sent it back. I've had the same problem with BE shades though. I use Youngevity mineral makeup; they have more fair/cool/neutral shades to choose from than BE.

SunshineGa­l21278603529.42315 PostsRegistered 1/20/2010

Laura Geller is not the same as minerals. Her B&B has talc. I think she is great. Talc is an irritate to my skin so I cannot use her products.

customer 51278868953.623621 PostsRegistered 5/22/2008

I switched from BE to LG after years with BE. I Love LG better especially the baked products.

Jashaal1278869242.012869 PostsRegistered 5/23/2007

Bare Escentuals for me. I have some Laura Geller but I get a more natural look with BE. It tends to blends a little better for me and just looks like my skin. Plus BE wears better for me in the summer. I can sweat in it and never get that 'my face is melting" look.

No weapon formed against me shall prosper.

viva9231278869518.6877083 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I have tried LG and really did like it BUT it broke me out quite seriously. It could have been the large amounts of silicones in the ingredients. I am having my BE sent to me should be here by end of week. Have never worn BE but wanted to try it. I tried to get service in the local BE store and was told I have to make an appointment to be seen in a BE store, kind of surprised me, but if that is what u have to do, will not go back to them again. Am not sure if I can wear BE because of the high SPF, am so super sensitive to SPF. Will see, have a 30 day return policy with BE.

Love Kitten1278871834.4531687 PostsRegistered 8/13/2007

LG! have both and turn to LG over and over again!

Jam1278871931.5231600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
On 7/8/2010 cjmcp said:

If you're fair with cool undertones, or even neutral, stay away from LG. Much too yellow. I sent it back. I've had the same problem with BE shades though. I use Youngevity mineral makeup; they have more fair/cool/neutral shades to choose from than BE.

I couldn't agree any more! Definitely not for cool undertone gals! I sometimes use as a bronzer in the summer. Such a bummer because it is a wonderful product.

Don't make me use UPPERCASE! ~~~ Maxine

How do you prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out! ~~~ Maxine

Redhead991278872257.45359 PostsRegistered 8/10/2009Delray Beach, Florida
On 7/8/2010 cjmcp said:

I just cancelled my order for the starter kit, I ordered it on a whim last night and cancelled it today. I assumed it had a blush in it but doesn't. I am very fair and reading your post made me realize I did the right thing because I am awfully fair skinned. I do use the BE fairly light and that seem to work for me.

JMFINLEY0011278872379.069135 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Wisconsin

While I like a lotof Laura's products,BE works best for me in the foundation category!!!!Love the BE Matte....Some of Laura's products have too much shimmer for me,but love a lot of lip and eye products.

55 yrs old,combo skin/w oily tzone
med golden tan complexion-no wrinkles yet ,but dark under eye circles,med brown hair with caramel highlights and brown eyes!dry fine hair but better with WEN!

Gooday1278872513.6810781 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I actually use both. I use the BE moisturizer and makeup, and the LG concealer and blush. I am not fond of LG B&B as it does not provide me good coverage.

grneydgrl1278873573.8273 PostsRegistered 5/1/2005

I also use both Laura Geller and BE. I also alternate with Smashbox Halo and Clinique. I have to say that I love all of them for different reasons.

I love Laura Geller and most of her products but, in my opinion, they are best when you want to look a little more made up. I also agree that her Balance and Brighten tends to be more towards the yellow side. Once I add some Bronze and Brighten and Blush and Brighten I don't notice it. I love the ease of use and unlike some other posters I find that the Balance and Brighten is more like a full foundation. Of course I conceal first but I get full coverage.

I use BE most during the summer months when I want more natural coverage and an SPF. I find that BE takes more time to apply but still provides nice coverage. I love the way it makes my skin feel and look.

I try and love so many lines that it is difficult for me to stick to just one type of foundation. Like I mentioned, I also use Halo and Clinique, depending on what type of look I want for that day. I am a big believer in preparing your skin before makeup:cleanse, prime, minimize pores {Clinique Pore Perfector is a must have, thanks to the QVC beauty boards}, and conceal. I find that once I do that, I'm never disappointed with the look of my foundation.

I also notice that when I'm watching a certain brand on QVC it makes me remember why I buy and love that line. This summer I've been using mostly BE and Halo but after watching Laura Geller last night I pulled out some things I haven't worn in a while and used only LG on my face today. Ethereal Rose, tinted Spackle, and the eye brow marker (can't live without!) being some of my favorites.

I definitely think it's worth a try!

Rooney11278874254.5135852 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

I use both with a dash of Smashbox and Mally thrown in..., depending on the day, mood, etc... It is a girls prerogative to play with her make-up...

Last edited on 7/11/2010

Last edited on 7/11/2010

GMO_Jen1278875349.6572282 PostsRegistered 11/11/2007In the St. Louis region

i am currently using LG- it makes my skin look pretty flawless. I use it in fair, and it looks pretty good over all. I have tried BE, but I look shiney.

JudyL1278877205.4672497 PostsRegistered 1/11/2008

I use both LG and BE but prefer LG. Right now I"m using BE matte foundation but everything else is LG. I carry LG BnB in my purse makeup bag because it's easier to use on the go than BE. I find it works fine with BE for touch ups.

Dream. Live. Believe. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Mimi431278879258.333109 PostsRegistered 11/8/2007No. California

I used BE for years and still like the bisque, but I much prefer LG. LG is my go to product by far! It is easier to use and makes my medium skin glow...in a good way.

Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.

Henry David Thoreau

sleepycats1278879407.183408 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I tired BE but it was too messy and always made my dry skin look even drier. I prefer LG. Most of my products are hers. I am pretty fair and the lightest shade works well as my foundation. Her blushes are the best. I just ordered the taxi bag to try out the coverup.

sleepycats1278879409.94408 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I tired BE but it was too messy and always made my dry skin look even drier. I prefer LG. Most of my products are hers. I am pretty fair and the lightest shade works well as my foundation. Her blushes are the best. I just ordered the taxi bag to try out the coverup.

bluebelle1278881376.77380 PostsRegistered 7/20/2007Washington State

I bought BE first, liked the coverage but had horrible itching. Saw an LG show and bought the try me kit. I love it, no itching at all. I'm an LG girl now.

If you can't make both ends meet, make one end potatoes.

I aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Page 1 of 2